New Manager

Pele_Is_God

John Robertson. He scored a winning penalty against England and won the European Cup with Nottingham Forest. That's good enough for me. 

:ictscarf:

P.S. - I know it's the other John Robertson lol

I liked Robbo and the style of play from his team when he was with us. He was inspirational in the run in to Helicopter Saturday and we've as much chance of repeating that with him at the helm again as we would have with any of the other names bandied about over the past few weeks - and better than most. If you are coming back Robbo then welcome, I wish you well.

• Agree 2

There is no doubt about Robbo's passion for the game and his attachment to Inverness. One of his merits, and I trust it still is, was his in-depth knowledge of the Scottish scene, including youth football and the lower leagues. So maybe that is what swung it for him, given we have to rebuild a team, and I hope he can do exactly that. The thing is nobody knows when you hire a new manager if they will be a success, but we have to support him and see what the new season  brings. Certainly it is more hopeful than keeping the last incumbent.

• Agree 2

Not exactly inspired by this. Seems like a cheap easy option for the board. 

That being said he has done the job before. And has an eye for a player. I'd like to see Charlie Christie in the coaching set up in some fashion. 

I'd rather we move Rice on though. It seems like he doesn't offer that much. 

Wish Robbo all the best. 

6 hours ago, starchief said:

How about we just go for:

• Director of Football: Steve Paterson
  • Manager: Terry Butcher
  • Assistant: Maurice Malpas
  • Attack Coach: Richie Foran
  • Technical Coach: Charlie Christie
  • Fitness Coach: Craig Brewster
  • Defence Coach: Sergie Baltacha
  • Youth Coach: John Robertson

Actually, that's not bad! I'm sure they'd all get on (I think they might!)

No place for our cup winning manager John Yogi Hughes :crazy:

• Agree 2

Hugely underwhelmed if its Robbo. Sadly I see this as a step backwards by the club. Opting for an ex-manager who hasn't worked in almost 10 years, if this was another clubs such as Dundee opting for Jocky Scott or Aberdeen for Alex Smith we'd all be laughing and saying how that club lacked ambition, living in the past and opting for an out of touch manager rather than look to someone progressive. I hope there are genuine football reasons and its not a cheap option for someone who is within the circle of some kind of old boys network.

Until there is official conformation I hope this is just speculation gone wild as is the claims above we are telling senior players to leave. While I'm not enthused about the squad so far, its adequate to perform in the Championship and get a play-off spot at least - releasing key players when we have time running out could be suicidal for the clubs ambitions of promotion any time soon.

Tomorrow better bring some clarity as this is all starting to look like a mess on all fronts if these rumors are true.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, rocky1 said:

2 goalkeepers, Raven and Warren already told to look for new clubs so hope Robbo has players lined up!

Source? OFW, Raven and Warren all contracted for next season 

1 hour ago, iamthecaptain1 said:

I'd rather we move Rice on though. It seems like he doesn't offer that much. 

I don't understand all the negative feelings towards Rice. I have heard he is a good coach. Have I missed something or are we guilty of blaming him for RFs failings? Did he become a bad coach before or after Yogi left?

• Agree 2

If it is John Robertson then  all I can opine to the Board is  "What took you so long?"

J, Robertson  has been in my mind for quite a long time although his name was rarely mentioned.in despatches. Experienced, enthusiastic with a  bit of a temper as I recall -- at least the latter quality shows that he CARES. .

:clapping:   Good luck John if you get the job.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, bdu98196 said:

Hugely underwhelmed if its Robbo. Sadly I see this as a step backwards by the club. Opting for an ex-manager who hasn't worked in almost 10 years, if this was another clubs such as Dundee opting for Jocky Scott or Aberdeen for Alex Smith we'd all be laughing and saying how that club lacked ambition, living in the past and opting for an out of touch manager rather than look to someone progressive. I hope there are genuine football reasons and its not a cheap option for someone who is within the circle of some kind of old boys network.

Until there is official conformation I hope this is just speculation gone wild as is the claims above we are telling senior players to leave. While I'm not enthused about the squad so far, its adequate to perform in the Championship and get a play-off spot at least - releasing key players when we have time running out could be suicidal for the clubs ambitions of promotion any time soon.

Tomorrow better bring some clarity as this is all starting to look like a mess on all fronts if these rumors are true.

Who did you want?

Personally, I'm happy with Robbo coming back - he ticks most of the boxes for me. Bit of a left-field choice, mind..

1). He is (obviously, given he lives here!), willing to be based up here,

2). Not an untried manager - previous experience at this level (again, obviously, given season 2003-04!), so less of a risk.

3). Enthusiastic & keen personality. More so than some of the other candidates mentioned!

4). Has, I think, a genuine affinity with ICT & the Highlands in general.

In short, someone who is a good 'fit' for us.

Would have been happy enough with Sheerin, but maybe Robbo is less of a 'risky appointment'? And Danny Lennon, who is, probably, a decent manager, didn't exactly fill me with excitement...

Welcome back Robbo!! :ictscarf:

• Agree 9

35 minutes ago, jingsmonty said:

1). He is (obviously, given he lives here!), willing to be based up here,

2). Not an untried manager - previous experience at this level (again, obviously, given season 2003-04!), so less of a risk.

3). Enthusiastic & keen personality. More so than some of the other candidates mentioned!

4). Has, I think, a genuine affinity with ICT & the Highlands in general.

None of these are really relevant.

1 - Most of our managers, since Steve Paterson, have been in place for less than two years.  Butcher was here for just under five years and Hughes for two and a half but generally football management isn't a long term job.  We've done well in the past by letting managers go at the right time and moving on.  The idea that we need someone who lives here doesn't hold out.

2 - His experience at this level is over a decade ago.  Ian McCall and Jimmy Calderwood both had teams finish in the top half of the SPL the season that Robertson won the league with us.  Alan Kernaghan almost took Clyde to the title.  Imagine we'd appointed one of them.  Also, post-ICT his experience is pretty much constant failure.

3 - We are recruiting a football manager not a Butlins redcoat.  Maybe his attitude will be a positive but ability is more important.

4 - As above, ability is what matters not whether they live here or have an affinity with the Highlands, whatever that means.  I have a genuine affinity with ICT and have spent a great deal of my life living in the Highlands, should I get the job?

I hope he succeeds but people shouldn't be blinded by hope.  He's someone who's proved limited during his career and doesn't have any recent experience.  We need to rebuild out squad and team and freshen the club up.  We've appointed someone who we are hoping succeed because he's been here before and lives in Inverness.  It might work but it's disappointing.  If it turns out that he's been appointed because certain people are wanting to get more involved in the club again then that is worse, tbh.

• Agree 7
  • Disagree 1

Whenever you hear of a club making an appointment like this, you always hear the immortal line 'He knows the club' like that is inherently a good thing.  I'm not so sure about that.  Obviously it depends on the character and the situation, but knowing the club isn't always a positive.  Sometimes the best thing is to rid yourself of the old boys network and bring in an outsider with fresh ideas, fresh contacts and a fresh vision for the way ahead.  In the long run, the club benefitted massively from Butcher's presence and the way he brought in new hungry players from outside the area, rather Scottish clogger journeymen.  Foran on the other hand probably knew the club too well.

So yes, 'knowing the club' is one thing but I don't know it's always the positive many claim it to be.

• Agree 3
  • Disagree 1

51 minutes ago, ictchris said:

None of these are really relevant.

1 - Most of our managers, since Steve Paterson, have been in place for less than two years.  Butcher was here for just under five years and Hughes for two and a half but generally football management isn't a long term job.  We've done well in the past by letting managers go at the right time and moving on.  The idea that we need someone who lives here doesn't hold out.

2 - His experience at this level is over a decade ago.  Ian McCall and Jimmy Calderwood both had teams finish in the top half of the SPL the season that Robertson won the league with us.  Alan Kernaghan almost took Clyde to the title.  Imagine we'd appointed one of them.  Also, post-ICT his experience is pretty much constant failure.

3 - We are recruiting a football manager not a Butlins redcoat.  Maybe his attitude will be a positive but ability is more important.

4 - As above, ability is what matters not whether they live here or have an affinity with the Highlands, whatever that means.  I have a genuine affinity with ICT and have spent a great deal of my life living in the Highlands, should I get the job?

I hope he succeeds but people shouldn't be blinded by hope.  He's someone who's proved limited during his career and doesn't have any recent experience.  We need to rebuild out squad and team and freshen the club up.  We've appointed someone who we are hoping succeed because he's been here before and lives in Inverness.  It might work but it's disappointing.  If it turns out that he's been appointed because certain people are wanting to get more involved in the club again then that is worse, tbh.

Bit unfair, that -he's been (I understand) involved with the coaching setup at Hearts.

As Hearts manager, he did a decent job, was victim to the Romanov regime, I seem to remember.

East Fife - as I said before, was due to the travelling back & forth for what was a part time job..

As long as he has a good current knowledge of football (and, given that he's been working within the game, that shouldn't be a problem), then this is a decent appointment. He put a bit of steel into an, admittedly fantastic team..I'm not sure Pele would have had quite the same success with us in getting promoted, much as I like Pele.

Who would you have (realistically - no Pep Guardiola..:lol:) instead??

9 minutes ago, jingsmonty said:

Stevie Aitken from Dumbarton if he was interested / approached.

Anyway, Robbo has been confirmed:

Yes, its on the Official ICT Website now.  Don't know what to make of this appointment myself.  Obviously he has 'done it before, and how we all wish for a replication of 2003/4.  But I am concerned that he hasn't been 'at the coalface' for several years now.

Anyway, I'll try and keep an open mind, and obviously wish him well.

Now we wait to see if any other appointments follow....   D Of F?, General manager?, Assistants?,Youth development?  Time will tell.

I really hope this wasn't just the cheap option again, i'll give the club the benefit of the doubt. Football is a fickle game and managers can find themselves blacklisted after a few bad jobs and that seems to have been the case for Robbo, even if there were extenuating circumstances that led to poor results at his previous clubs. However, a few years away from professional management might have been a reset button for him where he has been able to reflect on what went wrong. Best of luck and hopefully this time next year we will look back on this as a success. 

Some may disagree with it, many may regard it as the cheap option but the fact is we have a new manager and a very challenging season ahead. Time to put any divisions behind us from board room, to dressing room, to the stands and all push in the same direction to stabilise the club and regain our place in the top league.

• Agree 1

44 minutes ago, jingsmonty said:

Of those who've been linked with the job I think Paul Sheerin and Danny Lennon both have better, more recent experience.  But also, I don't know who applied, who expressed an interest and who the club spoke to.  You just don't know what sort of people were available, who we sought out (if anyone).

I hope he succeeds but it seems as though we're just appointing the people who are slap bang in front of us rather than trying to do something different.

40 minutes ago, RiG said:

Stevie Aitken from Dumbarton if he was interested / approached.

Anyway, Robbo has been confirmed:

Stevie Aitken would have been a decent appointment, but that's academic now.

We should be positive & get behind Robbo & the team..yes, maybe a bit of a safe & unadventurous appointment, but as I said, is that a bad thing??!!

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic