New Manager

Pele_Is_God

Personally I wish Robbo the very best of luck and I hope he can put the mojo back into this club. I applaud the decision to retain Brian Rice and Kel who to me seem to be very good coaches. Robbo will need them both functioning at 100%. I am however at a loss to hear that Warren and Raven are no longer required - where this came from GOK. We are short of players as it is. IMO we still need a director of football as I feel Robbo will struggle dealing direct with a board which has absolutely no football experience.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, ictchris said:

Where are people getting that Warren and Raven have been released?

I sincerely hope there is no truth in that. These are exactly the type of committed players we need to have at the heart of our team if we are to have any hope of a quick return to the Premiership.

• Agree 3

He's said he wants to play fast attacking football, exactly what Foran said when he was appointed.

I'd quite like a manager who said "I want to play slow, defensive unexciting football" just for something different.

• Agree 5

Really don't know what to make of this appointment! I hope it turns out well and wish JR all the very best. :ictscarf:

He did say that he didn't apply for the job but instead received a call from ICT inviting him for a chat! Bearing in mind the Board had previously stated that there had been a 'good response of candidates expressing interest' in the job and 'interviews have gone very well', they obviously weren't convinced by those who did apply?

As alluded to earlier in this thread, I really hope that the approach to Robbo did not come about as a result of political machinations within the Boardroom, that would be quite wrong IMO? I guess we'll find out the answer to this if fresh funding from a particular source comes into the club in due course!:wink:

Edited by RednBlackComeback

3 minutes ago, RednBlackComeback said:

Really don't know what to make of this appointment! I hope it turns out well and wish JB all the very best. :ictscarf:

He did say that he didn't apply for the job but instead received a call from ICT inviting him for a chat! Bearing in mind the Board had previously stated that there had been a 'good response of candidates expressing interest' in the job and 'interviews have gone very well', they obviously weren't convinced by those who did apply?

As alluded to earlier in this thread, I really hope that the approach to Robbo did not come about as a result of political machinations within the Boardroom, that would be quite wrong IMO? I guess we'll find out the answer to this if fresh funding from a particular source comes into the club in due course!:wink:

I'm concerned about this as well.

I find it extraordinary that the quality of applicant was so poor that we instead headhunted a guy who hasn't managed a club in 5 years, hasn't managed a Full Time club in 10 years, and who hasn't had any sort of managerial success in 13 years.

The whole process stinks of 'politics' as stated here, or sheer laziness; do the board not realize that there are other options beyond reappointing former employees?

• Agree 4

1 minute ago, hislopsoffsideagain said:

I'm concerned about this as well.

I find it extraordinary that the quality of applicant was so poor that we instead headhunted a guy who hasn't managed a club in 5 years, hasn't managed a Full Time club in 10 years, and who hasn't had any sort of managerial success in 13 years.

The whole process stinks of 'politics' as stated here, or sheer laziness; do the board not realize that there are other options beyond reappointing former employees?

There may be legitimate concerns but, rather than focussing on those, why don't we just give the man a chance ? 

• Agree 6

9 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

There may be legitimate concerns but, rather than focussing on those, why don't we just give the man a chance ? 

Hey, if Robbo is a success again, then great.  And I'll be rooting for him in the same way I would have done for any new manager (unless Brewster had been brought back for a third go!!!)

But how many 'political' appointments as manager tend to be successes?  Not many.  I would rather our manager was an outstanding candidate, rather than somebody's mate.  And there is nothing on Robbo's recent (or not-so-recent) managerial CV to suggest he was an outstanding candidate.

The whole process raises concerns about the way Inverness Caledonian Thistle is run.  And I think that it's pretty reasonable for supporters to focus on those, as they are likely to have a big impact on the future of the club.

• Agree 7

Welcome back Robbo! I'm actually quite excited by this, I know he hasn't done much in a few years now but I still think he has a better pedigree than Sheerin. We can start looking forward to the signings now and only a couple weeks until the friendlies start rolling in.

I had a worry that we wouldn't be good enough for top 4 this season but I'm now confident Robbo is the man to get us there in what will be a very tough league.  

He brought in some excellent players last time and I don't see why that would be any different now. 

• Agree 4
  • Disagree 1

I wont pretend to know anything about Managers, but I feel like contributing my two cents. I was there when Robbo led us to promotion as a young lad and I hope he brings vital experience and can make this league very interesting with us, Falkirk and Dundee UTD. HOWEVER, when you read his interview he says it wasnt even on his radar and he had a good gig going at Hearts, he will be up for the challenge but it sounds like ICT did all the running, That worries me a bit. I hope im totally wrong and this season will be really good for us. Crossing my fingers. 

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Scotty said:

I don't understand all the negative feelings towards Rice. I have heard he is a good coach. Have I missed something or are we guilty of blaming him for RFs failings? Did he become a bad coach before or after Yogi left?

Before Yogi left. Our teams style and performance dipped considerably in his first year and further again last season. Our defence became laughable. 

The Malpas came in and the whole organisation of the team seems to improve dramatically. 

Maybe he's just unfortunate in that he's the common denominator but I just feel that a completely fresh coaching team would be preferable.

Hopefully being a league down allows us to try our likes of Brown etc in first team. And we are also able to locate a few players released from other SPL teams. 

• Agree 2

Much is being made of the fact that Robbo has not managed in many years, but he has not been out of the game working within the Hearts set up and I would prefer him to Sheerin who again has not managed for a few years. Robbo will know of some good youngsters who I am sure he will probably bring in as well as some experienced players, and I think his name and stature in the game is more likely to attract players than that of Sheerin ( I have nothing against him)

Many going on about the cheap option but remember our financial situation do you want to have what we cannot afford and finish up without a club, and the only way we can help that is to get out and support the club and yes most people on this Forum do that , but where are the missing thousands that can attend cup finals!!!! maybe we should be encouraging them to come along

So lets all get behind Robbo and get the team back to the Premier League where we belong

• Agree 4

Im happy about this appointment. (rewind one year and i was saying the same thing). Im happy to see Robbo get another crack at the job. Im looking forward to a good season with him at the helm.
Am i remembering correctly...but at one point, didnt Robbo have an account on this site, interacting with fans (after he had left the club)?

• Agree 1

39 minutes ago, iamthecaptain1 said:

Before Yogi left. Our teams style and performance dipped considerably in his first year and further again last season. Our defence became laughable. The Malpas came in and the whole organisation of the team seems to improve dramatically. Maybe he's just unfortunate in that he's the common denominator but I just feel that a completely fresh coaching team would be preferable.

You could be right, but comments made by some last season indicated that the manager wasnt listening to his coaching staff so I wonder ..... I dont know the guy, it just seems there is a lot of vitriol pointed in his direction with little substance behind it. Here's hoping Robbo can assess his staff and make sure he has confidence in them and if not, that he can tell the board he needs replacements. 

5 minutes ago, SMEE said:

Im happy about this appointment. (rewind one year and i was saying the same thing). Im happy to see Robbo get another crack at the job. Im looking forward to a good season with him at the helm. Am i remembering correctly...but at one point, didnt Robbo have an account on this site, interacting with fans (after he had left the club)?

Robbo does have an account on here and he posted from around 2008-2010. He was also in regular contact before that but not posting publicly. I do seem to recall however that Donald Park indicated that he was the tech savvy one and Robbo was a bit of a computer dinosaur .... 

• Agree 1

44 minutes ago, iamthecaptain1 said:

Hopefully being a league down allows us to try our likes of Brown etc in first team. And we are also able to locate a few players released from other SPL teams. 

issue being a lot of the younger players, including Jason Brown have been let go....think this is a bit of a missed opportunity tbh.  we really need to improve our record on bringing through youth players.  especially given our precarious financial position, a Ryan Christie every other year would be handy.

• Agree 1

The very fact that Robbo went to east Fife  appears to indicate how much he loves the gemme.

Methil is  a basic one-street town which, at the time I watched East Fife every week, was more or less there to service the coal ships. Wellesley colliery was a big ticket item in the books of the National Coal Board at that time and the Royal Bank of Scotland  in Leven supplied a massive amount of paper money once per week for the workers' wages --we had to work overtime in the evening once per week without extra pay to service this entity.

The manager of this  colliery lived directly opposite to us in Methil and a nicer couple you could not meet. but, truly, there was very little of beauty in the district. The team that I saw, however,  was quite well supported and I did see some very exciting games there  which did whet my appetite for more in the future. . So footie must be in Robbo's blood and he must have yearned for it to take that job. It also shows how diversified and non-critical a gentleman he was and probably is to this day. i.e. He's a mature man now and deserves the nod. Let's give him a big cheer and get on with the game as someone else said on here.

I think that you are going to be surprised at what happens this season on the park.....Stay the course dearies and cheer him on.

Yep, life can get non-tejious don' it?:ictscarf:

• Agree 5

18 hours ago, Biggin said:

Much is being made of the fact that Robbo has not managed in many years, but he has not been out of the game working within the Hearts set up and I would prefer him to Sheerin who again has not managed for a few years. Robbo will know of some good youngsters who I am sure he will probably bring in as well as some experienced players, and I think his name and stature in the game is more likely to attract players than that of Sheerin ( I have nothing against him)

Many going on about the cheap option but remember our financial situation do you want to have what we cannot afford and finish up without a club, and the only way we can help that is to get out and support the club and yes most people on this Forum do that , but where are the missing thousands that can attend cup finals!!!! maybe we should be encouraging them to come along

So lets all get behind Robbo and get the team back to the Premier League where we belong

I'm with you on this Biggin. :ictscarf:

• Agree 2

Agreed. Neither of our last two managers had good contacts or knowledge of the lower divisions for finding new talent. Robbo, thanks to his passion for the game has extensive knowledge of the game from youth level upwards. So I am very hopeful that he can built a third generation ICT to rival the last two. No doubt there will be lots of ups and downs, and maybe more of the latter first, but now he's in we have to give him a bit of time and support to get it right. Sure, some people have reservations, but that would be the case whoever we brought in, and at least a decision has been made relatively quickly so he can get on with it, rather than an extended period of uncertainty which has happened previously.

• Agree 9

22 hours ago, ictfcsince94 said:

issue being a lot of the younger players, including Jason Brown have been let go....think this is a bit of a missed opportunity tbh.  we really need to improve our record on bringing through youth players.  especially given our precarious financial position, a Ryan Christie every other year would be handy.

Had no idea Jason Brown had been let go. I always thought he was considered one for the future. 

Hopefully we can get Polworth in his natural position. Likes of Doran and hopefully Mulraney should thrive at this level. Loan players are away so will Boden remain? He could be a championship goal machine.

I'll get right behind Robbo. Always been found of him as a person and he's been a great ambassador for us over the years. Admittedly the appointment has surprised and raised the collective eyebrow. You'd think there are more "current" managers that we'd have enough clout to attract by now. But he does have the experience. Also far less likely to jump ship again. Moving to Hearts was understandable. They are a bigger club and he's a legend there. But I can see him sticking around if all goes well. 

Just saying roughly (should McNaughton be retained) that we need about six new signings.  Does Robbo have the contacts to bring in the players we need?  Last time he did well bringing in Barry Wilson and David Bingham, both players he knew personally.  You'd imagine recruiting from the lower leagues down south is now a thing of the past.  The lower Scottish leagues don't seem to produce the talent anymore.

In our history, we've only had two long term managers who've built their own side.  Robbo has no track record of doing this from what I can see.  In fact, at just under two years, Caley Thistle are the longest time he's ever spent at a club and at Ross County, Hearts and Derry, he was out of the door within a year.  Ironically, the one job he spent the longest at (us!) was one where he was headhunted.  I wonder why that's such a common denominator.

Edited by Renegade

On ‎14‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 10:35 AM, ictchris said:

Of those who've been linked with the job I think Paul Sheerin and Danny Lennon both have better, more recent experience.  But also, I don't know who applied, who expressed an interest and who the club spoke to.  You just don't know what sort of people were available, who we sought out (if anyone).

I hope he succeeds but it seems as though we're just appointing the people who are slap bang in front of us rather than trying to do something different.

Normally think you're on the money with ICT ... stuff .. but I'm not sure how you could say Sheerin has experience, recent or not, he's managed at Arbroath (done well mind you) but managing a team demanding promotion would be a completely different ball game.  I love Sheerin, probably my favourite player at ICT over the years but I'm delighted he didn't get the job until he at least has one more managerial position. I'd have hated to see him bomb out

Lennon? Maybe.. but has done nothing since leaving St Mirren and dived at Alloa 

"After gaining just five points from their first sixteen games of the 2015–16 season, Lennon resigned as manager of Alloa Athletic on 7 December 2015" - Wiki

I didn't even have Robbo on the radar but it was obvious that we need an experienced manager after we decided to take an utter punt on Foran, who had absolutely no experience at all, at any level, anywhere.  I thought Butcher was a shoe-in but hated the way he left us ... Robbo does "know the club" which is the normal cliché with ICT managers but I can definitely see reason behind his appointment ... and a feck lot more sense than putting Foran in charge, which a lot of you seemed delighted with at the time and look at the mess that got us in.

Need to look at the pros and cons ... there are definitely more on the side of Robbo than anyone else on the bookies list and I can't think of anyone better... except Hartley but he doesn't seem to be interested.

First post in a while but I am much happier Robbo at the helm and the thought process behind it, compared to last year.  I still think we were in the wrong about Yogi and should have backed him at the time, even if it meant going into a bit of debt to speculate for a bit... no excuse for how he reacted but it was a by-product.  We should never have put Foran in charge but we are where we are now and for me the best chance of getting back to the SPFL is to have a manager with experience, someone happy to be in Inverness and capable of attracting players up North ... I think we have that.

Onwards and upwards

• Agree 5

As I said in another post, I'm not singing from the rooftops over this appointment, but if he does as well as when he was here last, then I'm sure we will all be delighted to praise the Board for their foresight.  And, I am certainly prepared to give him a chance, and really hope he succeeds.

I'd be happier if there was some action in confirming his assistant(s), plus letting us know what the overall management structure is going to be, (D Of F etc).  Not to mention the General Manager position (if that is really on the cards), and of course who is going to be responsible for communication with the fanbase, and what form this will take.

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic