All give £100

brianm6261

Finance will be required next season and we should be very grateful to the business men who finance the club but it should also be up to "the little guys" also.  If every true fan, or almost true fan gave £100 - everyone who went to Hampden for example - it would add a reasonable amount of money for the Championship challenge.  It would need some organising.  They could also speak to the local shops bars and businesses.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 4

I already give over £300 per season for my season ticket with arguably limited value for money - why would I just give a charitable donation to a business? Giving hand-outs doesn't do anything other than encourage spending outwith your means which means in the future another hand out is needed. If my business cant run at a profit then it will fail - nobody will just donate me money, this whole idea that football clubs should be exempt from normal business practices including balancing of the books is a bizarre one.

• Agree 11

2 hours ago, bdu98196 said:

I already give over £300 per season for my season ticket with arguably limited value for money - why would I just give a charitable donation to a business? Giving hand-outs doesn't do anything other than encourage spending outwith your means which means in the future another hand out is needed. If my business cant run at a profit then it will fail - nobody will just donate me money, this whole idea that football clubs should be exempt from normal business practices including balancing of the books is a bizarre one.

:clapoverhead::clapoverhead::clapoverhead:

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, brianm6261 said:

Finance will be required next season and we should be very grateful to the business men who finance the club but it should also be up to "the little guys" also.  If every true fan, or almost true fan gave £100 - everyone who went to Hampden for example - it would add a reasonable amount of money for the Championship challenge.  It would need some organising.  They could also speak to the local shops bars and businesses.

Brian, I don't want to seem discourteous to someone who doesn't post very often, but in several ways I think you are right off the beam here. Your sentiment isn't totally new, but it's just completely wrong headed to propose that individuals, some of them possibly not all that well off themselves, should make voluntary donations to sustain the wage levels of footballers who are already being paid well above their realistic market value. Football really needs to get a bit of a life and realise that in the rest of the sporting world, or indeed in much of the rest of the world, you can't make a killing on the strength of not being very good. Indeed I often wonder if much of Caley Thistle's difficulties originate from a willingness to pay well over the odds to individuals of limited ability and, if the previous manager is to be believed, in some cases of questionable commitment.

Historically, football fans complain about the cost of watching a mere 90 minutes of entertainment - a description which sometimes struggles for validity. They do so with some justification. So, what you are now proposing is that everyone should voluntarily increase the cost of their season tickets by a third by stumping up another £100 out of the goodness of their hearts. In fact, you also seem to suggest that even the 15,000 at Hampden in 2015 should do so. There really isn't the remotest chance of that. If 12,000 of these people aren't even interested enough to pay to go to regular games, what chance a voluntary £100 supplement?

I would suggest that many of the 2500 or so who regularly attend have to make financial sacrifices elsewhere for their football, but here you now are asking for £100 a head to boost the back pockets of guys with flash Mercs, Beemers and SUVs who earn far more than these poor punters do. Bdu98196 is spot on.

Football seriously needs a reality check. The expectation that anyone - the rich or the ordinary punter - should subsidise players' unrealistic wage levels is plain nuts.

Edited by Charles Bannerman
  • Agree 3

I'd encourage supporters to play the centenary club. I won it once and bought season tickets with the money. 

I still think the club could be doing more to increase revenues - St Johnstone's business model is worth investigating.  

I'd also encourage the directors to sit with supporters in the north stand for a few matches to get a feel for how poor the match day experience is.

Reopen the 'west stand' next season as a standing area and offer reduced price season tickets. Better view and might improve the atmosphere at the ground. 

Offer a book of ten match tickets as well as season tickets. A number of fans travel to home matches. 

Sorry to be negative here OP. 

Edited by TopSix
  • Agree 6

52 minutes ago, TopSix said:

I'd also encourage the directors to sit with supporters in the north stand for a few matches to get a feel for how poor the match day experience is.

This is an excellent point.  The facilities for the North Stand are a disgrace (the PA is barely audible and the mens toilets don't even have seats!).  The club have tried desperately to get new fans in but have forgotten the ones already there.  I can point to seats around me of people who've just stopped going altogether.  Is it any surprise when the club clearly doesn't value the fans they have and believe they deserve the bare minimum?

I'm sure it's nice and warm in the hospitality suits though...

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 7

3 minutes ago, Renegade said:

The club have tried desperately to get new fans in but have forgotten the ones already there.  I can point to seats around me of people who've just stopped going altogether.  

^This. 

I used to go with a group of guys regularly. There were typically two rows of about five or six of us. Now I'm pretty much the only one who still regularly goes to home games. Obviously life gets in the way what with marriages, mortgages, kids etc but I generally agree with Renegade there. That's about 8 or 9 fans who have just stopped going to games now.

35 minutes ago, Renegade said:

This is an excellent point.  The facilities for the North Stand are a disgrace (the PA is barely audible and the mens toilets don't even seats!).  The club have tried desperately to get new fans in but have forgotten the ones already there.  I can point to seats around me of people who've just stopped going altogether.  Is it any surprise when the club clearly doesn't value the fans they have and believe they deserve the bare minimum?

Ive always thought that  Ive even suggested it within the club. Offer was never taken up sadly 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, TopSix said:

I'd encourage supporters to play the centenary club. I won it once and bought season tickets with the money. 

I still think the club could be doing more to increase revenues - St Johnstone's business model is worth investigating.  

What do you suggest would improve the experience?

Reopen the 'west stand' next season as a standing area and offer reduced price season tickets. Better view and might improve the atmosphere at the ground. 

Offer a book of ten match tickets as well as season tickets. A number of fans travel to home matches. 

I believe the club tried this as it seemed like a good idea,  it was suggested by a few fans to increase sales but I was informed that the take up was extremely poor.

Sorry to be negative here OP. 

1 hour ago, Renegade said:

This is an excellent point.  The facilities for the North Stand are a disgrace (the PA is barely audible and the mens toilets don't even seats!). 

I sit in the Werthurs stand and have noticed that the speakers point out to the pitch and to the rear. Are they the same in the North stand.

Perhaps if the outward one pointed downwards.

Sound bars have come right down in price. Would this help, if it was attached to the purling at the rear of the stadium.

The club have tried desperately to get new fans in but have forgotten the ones already there.  I can point to seats around me of people who've just stopped going altogether.  Is it any surprise when the club clearly doesn't value the fans they have and believe they deserve the bare minimum?

Can't argue with the above.

What do you guys think would genuinely improve the match day experience?

Edited by 12th Man

TopSix, i applaud you for offering solutions to the problem.  

It is very easy to criticise others as some posters do here, but if we all had your philosophy of positive thinking then it can only help progressive thinking.

Green dot for you Sir. 

• Agree 1

I have no doubt he Club would welcome with open arms £250000 from a gesture such as this - it would help to fill the hole in the bottom line quite nicely, but not one penny would reach the squad or the facilities. Your money would be much better spent sponsoring a player or sticking it in the youth collections - at least there's a genuine chance of it going to the intended target.

can't agree more about the match day experience or lack of it. The ground is a shocking design for both atmosphere and view, but there's not much we can do about that. However, could we make small in kind donations to help paper over the cracks. For example, I'd happily donate a bog seat to help sort that particular problem!!  Could a building firm be convinced to build a merchandise and ticket office instead of a shipping crate FFS? Even a shed for a few grand would be a step up.  Safe standing in the west stand has to be worth a try - we never use that space anyway. Admittedly, not massive impacts, but every little counts in Tesco-town idoes it not?

Surely some contractor could donate a barrow full of concrete to eradicate the "puddle in the pie queue" problem? 

We have a building company with naming rights to the main stand...and a civils contractor on the training kit...surely between the two of them we can do something with the existing infrastructure in and around the stadium? 

I'd rather see solid investment in the ground(or a new one) and proper, modern training facilities than pay over-rated underachievers over the odds.

i don't know where the extra money is coming from, but if there was an outside investor, that's where I'd rather see the money going.

as a multiple player sponsor, a family of season tickets and a regular #caleyaway 'er I would grudge parting with yet another £100 for no return, when there are plenty of business around the area who would be happy to right off some money for tax purposes! I'm sure AuldyBoy does a great job getting money in the door, but maybe free services could be an avenue that is explored too...

• Agree 2

How many toilet seats do we need. are they missing or  are they the ones with the wooden fixed rim ?

I would like a 55" tv for the main north stand  to replace the broken one that always plays up.  £330.

http://www.very.co.uk/luxor-55-inch-full-hd-freeview-hd-led-smart-tv/1600124526.prd?crossSellType=item_page.recs_1

And some 120w sound bars at £40 for the stands. You only need one to see how it sounds before buying more.

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/4181310?cmpid=GS001&_$ja=tsid:59158|cid:200217410|agid:12488203010|tid:pla-135050184290|crid:66128550050|nw:g|rnd:18297507816274480591|dvc:c|adp:1o1&gclid=CjwKEAjw07nJBRDG_tvshefHhWQSJABRcE-ZE_sdphgxW4WF1yv15cP6vdk5PP7KCGbT9IzfzQ1YFhoCCP_w_wcB

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

21 minutes ago, ictfcsince94 said:

Surely some contractor could donate a barrow full of concrete to eradicate the "puddle in the pie queue" problem? 

We have a building company with naming rights to the main stand...and a civils contractor on the training kit...surely between the two of them we can do something with the existing infrastructure in and around the stadium? 

I'd rather see solid investment in the ground(or a new one) and proper, modern training facilities than pay over-rated underachievers over the odds.

i don't know where the extra money is coming from, but if there was an outside investor, that's where I'd rather see the money going.

as a multiple player sponsor, a family of season tickets and a regular #caleyaway 'er I would grudge parting with yet another £100 for no return, when there are plenty of business around the area who would be happy to right off some money for tax purposes! I'm sure AuldyBoy does a great job getting money in the door, but maybe free services could be an avenue that is explored too...

Some drainage pipe and a trailer load of chips would solve your puddle problem.

1 hour ago, 12th Man said:

Better stewarding. A deal with a local company for catering (no mention of the names of any local bakeries). More, genuine communication between the board and fans. A path from the bridge to avoid having to clamber over the verge. Free buses to and from the ground. Facilities to cycle to the ground and leave bikes securely (have a look at the Amsterdam ArenA for inspiration). I'd also like to see the club going down the route of Partick and offer free season tickets for U16s. 

Just some initial thoughts. I'll think some more. 

5 minutes ago, IBM said:

Or a pair of wellies :lol:

Yeah, the point being that in the middle of July/august you shouldn't have to be wearing wellies! And that puddle will still be there...

things like giving the OF both sides of the snack bar thing behind the west stand annoyed me, although not likely to be an issue next season, was just another example of treating the fans a bit ****.

2 hours ago, 12th Man said:

Would be nice if the stadium announcer actually had a clue, tried to rev up the crowd a bit? He announces the goal scorer while the crowd are still cheering, if he waits a bit, he'll generate another 'pop' when making the announcement. Or when he reads out the attendance in the middle of an attack or when the crowd are cheering or jeering. Maybe save it for when we're waiting on the 5 year old ball boy retrieving the ball from the moray firth.

54 minutes ago, 12th Man said:

How many toilet seats do we need. are they missing or  are they the ones with the wooden fixed rim ?

I would like a 55"

Initially, I misread that and thought you were looking for a 55" toilet seat! :amazed: But to return to the substance of the thread, I am dismayed at the low esteem in which the match day experience is held by fans. At this point I will head of any smart comments about the press box by admitting that the analogy with World War I generals in their chateaux and the poor bloody infantry in their trenches has already occurred to me. For the kind of money that is being asked then, apart from what you might want to say about the standard and fulfilment level of the football, it does appear that many of the ancillary facilities, especially in the North Stand, do leave something to be desired. Unfortunately a lot of the comments do seem to reinforce the notion that everything has been thrown at first team wages and even stadium infrastructure has been allowed to decay. It's possibly also worth mentioning in the passing that when Ross County publicised attempts to improve their match day experience some years ago, these received quite a lot of stick on this forum!

Look, I know I have privileged, cost free access on match days but I'm there to do a job and that's it. However what I am reading on the likes of this and other threads does make me wonder if I would actually be prepared to pay the prices at the gate (and hence not have to work either!) in order to avail myself of the deal people's comments are making apparent.