General Manager/Director of Football

jingsmonty

2 hours ago, jingsmonty said:

Any ideas who is in the running for this & how will it impact on who we hire as Manager?

Thought Malpas was being considered, but it seems not.

This along with a Director of Football should have been a priority but obviously not.

5 minutes ago, jingsmonty said:

I would have thought this post should have been filled already, before we interview for a manager??

Totally agree. Just goes to show how much football knowledge our board has

• 1 month later...

I think CC would be a great general manager/DoF personally.

Someone who loves the club. Someone who has played for the club. Someone who has managed the club and knows the pressures involved in doing so. Someone who is articulate and intelligent. Someone who seems would be able to work with a manager to help him get what he needs and communicate this to the board. Someone who actually knows who the board are and understands their make up.

2 hours ago, Council Juice said:

I think CC would be a great general manager/DoF personally.

Someone who loves the club. Someone who has played for the club. Someone who has managed the club and knows the pressures involved in doing so. Someone who is articulate and intelligent. Someone who seems would be able to work with a manager to help him get what he needs and communicate this to the board. Someone who actually knows who the board are and understands their make up.

Sounds like a plan...only other name I could think of was Barry Wilson.

Would happily see CC in this role..

There is no need for any general manager to have had any previous connection with the club. Indeed, if we can find a suitable candidate, there is a great deal of merit in bringing in someone with a more objective perspective and fresh ideas.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Moogthurso said:

I have heard clarence seedorf to create an Ajax style school of excellence.....?

Be careful what you wish for .... that was why Toronto FC employed Aron Winter as manager .... and that did not end well !

48 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

There is no need for any general manager to have had any previous connection with the club. Indeed, if we can find a suitable candidate, there is a great deal of merit in bringing in someone with a more objective perspective and fresh ideas.

Like Mike Smith?

The general managers job should be restricted to the daily running of the business, in close association with the Football Manager. He should not be the football managers boss. We still need a director of football at board level to work closely with the football manager and be the link between him and the board. WHERE IS HE?

That's why it's good to have someone connected to the club and also local living. CC would have no great will to move away but could structure the make up of the club from senior to youth teams over several managers so that whilst we might change we retain a long term ideology and continuity.

• Agree 1

Why an earth do we need a general manager we would be better spending the money on players. It is not as we are a huge club. Would have thought the board with its vast experience would or should be able to run a championship side..

12 minutes ago, bigman said:

Why an earth do we need a general manager we would be better spending the money on players. It is not as we are a huge club. Would have thought the board with its vast experience would or should be able to run a championship side..

Because someone needs to be in overall charge day to day. Kenny Cameron fullfilled this role but it doesnt appear that anyone on the board now wishes/or is up to the job. 

• Agree 1

58 minutes ago, bigman said:

The General Manager role is important. It is basically the business manager. they are responsible for all aspects of the club not directly under the football managers purview and in many ways is a larger role than the football manager. They look after the business, the hospitality, the day to day running of the actual club and stadium, stadium health and safety and matchday security, the administration and paperwork etc etc etc .... its not glamorous but it is necessary. We do have people in place to perform each individual role ... Peter doing the matchday security stuff for example and JF taking care of all the relevant paperwork that needs to go to the SFA/SPFL or Ian/Charlie doing various commercial activities but you absolutely need someone to pull all those individual roles together and oversee them. 

As alluded to, Kenny Cameron did the majority of this whilst he was chairman but the new chairman was adamant that this was not something he was going to take on ... I can understand why as its a big task. Considering who has held this post before then I think it has to be someone with both a business and football brain ... you cant run a football club exactly like a normal business or even another sporting association ... its a unique task. Shame Paul Beirne was tapped up from Brighton to help form the new Canadian Premier League, he would have been an excellent candidate ! 

Director of Football is another role we need to get right. The DoF role is liaison between board and coaches/players/management so again should have experience of both sides of the fence on this one . If interested then the likes of Danny or Charlie would be good candidates I think. Both have been players and both have been involved in managerial or coaching aspects of the club as well as business stuff. The likes of Barry Wilson is another potential candidate or perhaps someone older with substantial football knowledge from completely outside the club ....      

• Agree 1

Interesting and informative post Scotty, well to me anyway. However this does demonstrate that there are still problems at the club at boardroom level which need to be addressed. A strong leader is required and, for me, the jury is still out on our new chairman.