Transfer in and outs

ferben1994

3 hours ago, Caley Mad In Berks said:

Can anyone confirm that Scott Davidson was on ICT's books?  He does not appear in the 'all time' list of players.  If indeed he did play for us at one time I should add him to my list of ex ICT goalscorers.  A quick check shows that he has scored 10 for Fort in 2017 alone!

The FWFC website profile of him says his former clubs were ICT and Clach, but it would probably have been one of the youth teams.

Big step up from Highland League to the Championship, but why not? 

My big hope with Robbo is that he will give Youth a chance..given his background and what he said recently, sounds positive. 

Just hope that if we have promising young players that we get them onto decent contracts as sick of our best players heading along the A96 for nothing! Ryan Christie was a good example of making the most out of a talented young player (even if he is with the sheep just now..).

Is it just me but Im old enough to remember players like Billy Urquhart, Kevin MacDonald and Des Bremner moving from HL to big clubs and doing very well. I do think this is getting forgotten. Pleased to see us looking for any gems around locally tbh 

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Sir C the 3rd said:

I happened to mention this to someone involved at Fort William a few weeks ago. He was going on about how good he was and that the like of Brora etc were looking to take him. I jokingly said to him 'maybe Caley should sign him'. He said that we had had him watched but he wasn't sure what was going to come of it. It certainly doesn't hurt us to give the guy a trial.

He scored 30 odd goals with one of the poorest teams in the HFL, he must have something. Doesn't hurt to have a look at him in training, maybe a trialist.

Edited by ictchris
  • Agree 2

John McGinlay's first club was Fort William, though he is from the area.  As many will remember, Cammy Keith was scoring bags of goals every week for Keith a few years back and had a trial at a club down south (Nottingham Forest or Middlesbrough as I recall).  Seemingly we did scout him as well but it was deemed he wouldn't cut it in the Premiership.  He went to Formartine United for £25,000 not long after.

Edited by Renegade

2 hours ago, old caley girl said:

Is it just me but Im old enough to remember players like Billy Urquhart, Kevin MacDonald and Des Bremner moving from HL to big clubs and doing very well. I do think this is getting forgotten. Pleased to see us looking for any gems around locally tbh 

2 hours ago, old caley girl said:

I am of similar generation. Hamish French too. There may be some merit in looking on our doorstep but one major issue is that the standard of the Highland League is far far below what it was thirty or forty years ago.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Kingsmills said:

I am of similar generation. Hamish French too. There may be some merit in looking on our doorstep but one major issue is that the standard of the Highland League is far far below what it was thirty or forty years ago.

Many would say the same about the top league and we are not even in that one :ictscarf:

There are quite a few ex professional players in the Highland league, not all of whom are sliding towards retirement. There are also ex-youth players from Caley and Ross County. Some of them looked decent last season, although it's difficult to judge for sure because of the varying standards of the opposition. Certainly worth a look. 

Who's the lad who was scoring constantly for Brora?  Steven MacLeod or something.  Went to watch Brora last season and saw he was playing at left back!

Paul Brindle (Brora and ex-Clach striker) was linked with Lincoln City at one point last season.  That's the type of market down south we've been operating in in the last few years.  I'd also like to see us make a move for Shane Sutherland actually.  A superb goal record for Elgin and never really got a run up front with us - constantly shunted to the wing by Butcher.

2 hours ago, Renegade said:

Who's the lad who was scoring constantly for Brora?  Steven MacLeod or something.  Went to watch Brora last season and saw he was playing at left back!

Paul Brindle (Brora and ex-Clach striker) was linked with Lincoln City at one point last season.  That's the type of market down south we've been operating in in the last few years.  I'd also like to see us make a move for Shane Sutherland actually.  A superb goal record for Elgin and never really got a run up front with us - constantly shunted to the wing by Butcher.

I certainly think that Shane would pose a goal threat in the Championship.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Renegade said:

Well we'll not be signing Blair Yule then.  He's gone to Arbroath.

There was no chance of us signing him. He's on decent money in his job, so will be making more staying part-time. 

On 2017-6-19 at 9:09 AM, ictchris said:

Paul Bradshaw as well, he was some boy.  Imagine Steve Paterson releasing you because you weren't professional enough.

Did he not miss a game once because he was 'helping police with their enquiries'?

Optimistic that Robbo can attract some decent talent - Baird is a good start, hopefully more news soon re more signings!

Encouraged also by the fact he's said he wants to give youth a chance..would live to see some local lads step up to the 1st team & make an impact..