Transfer in and outs

ferben1994

Mcnaughton is a nice guy and gave 100% but for me I'm quite glad he's left. Age has caught up with him and he's a bit short of pace for a full back. He's also a bit small to be a centre back in Scotland.

Maybe in the championship he might have looked better as he does have a good football Brain and bags of experience. But I wish him well and hope he finds another club soon.

Edited by Sir C the 3rd
  • Agree 1

Perhaps your correct and i was slightly harsh in my original posting so i apologise for that, but he didnt actually offer us anything and came with a history of injury problems if you look at his previous 3 seasons, 11 appearances in 3 years, it was never going to end well was it? 

2014–2015  Bolton Wanderers (loan) 9  
2015–2016 Wigan Athletic 2

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 2

6 hours ago, bdu98196 said:

If that is true then its about time the club showed fans a bit of decency - many have purchased season tickets by now and we still have ne knowledge of whether senior players have been released or not. This lack of communication just shows that since last season nothing has changed. If players finished last season still under contract we have every right to expect then to be here, if they are let go due to cost cutting then we should be told - I renewed my ST and accepted the pricing farce based on expecting to have a team capable of challenging to win the league, however the more I read the less likely I think its going to be the case. 

Hardly - I don't buy my season ticket on the basis of transfer dealings, I buy it to support the team, whoever is in it

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, mikeyrob73 said:

Perhaps your correct and i was slightly harsh in my original posting so i apologise for that, but he didnt actually offer us anything and came with a history of injury problems if you look at his previous 3 seasons, 11 appearances in 3 years, it was never going to end well was it? 

Do you think we could have attracted a player of his calibre if he hadn't been looking to play regular 1st team football?

I'm sorry to see him go, maybe not the quickest but an intelligent player who would have veen a big asset this season.

All the best, Kev

For me draper is the key. I will be amazed if st johnstone dont poach him.

If we keep him he could lead this team out of the league on his shoulders and with young legs around him.  If we lose him it will be extremely difficult.

I will be nervous until the window closes.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, jingsmonty said:

Do you think we could have attracted a player of his calibre if he hadn't been looking to play regular 1st team football?

I'm sorry to see him go, maybe not the quickest but an intelligent player who would have veen a big asset this season.

All the best, Kev

We cant really comment on his pace or his intelligence due to the fact he didnt really play for us did he? 

1 minute ago, Moogthurso said:

If we keep him he could lead this team out of the league on his shoulders and with young legs around him.  If we lose him it will be extremely difficult.

His wife has put her salon up for lease so I think we must assume he might go? 

5 minutes ago, Moogthurso said:

Wether this is true or not but apparently there are just I's to dot and T's to cross on Drapers departure. Slightly good news is that it's supposed to be a club in England he's going to and not Aberdeen.

Someone told me that Draper is leaving, it's a done deal.  He's off to England.

I don't really mind us freshening up the squad.  We haven't added anyone of any real substance to the squad for years, it clearly peaked in 2015 and started to go stale after that.  

Problem is that I don't have any real confidence in us freshening up the squad with anyone half decent.

4 hours ago, mikeyrob73 said:

Don't think anyone could have foreseen the injury he sustained early in the season as not one he suffered before. When he came back at the end of the season, doubtful if he was fully fit but never let the team down in any game I saw him play.

• Agree 2

I don't mind building a completely different squad every now and then, especially when it's gone stale (and ours really has).  The big issue here though is how we rebuild them.  When recruiting a new manager, there should've been a lot focus how good a recruiter the perspective manager was.  Has John Robertson rebuilt a side before?  Not really, as far as I'm aware.  Does John Robertson have the contacts to bring players in?  We shall see. 

When Butcher did it in 2009, he had the contacts and the know-how to bring good players in.  He also had a great backbone of a side of established players and those who knew Scottish football inside out.  Esson, Tokely, Duncan, McBain, Golabek and Munro, as well as inheriting Adam Rooney.  Don't have that luxury this time, especially if Raven and Draper are away.

The next few weeks are pivotal.  Get it right and we might be able to bounce back.  Get it wrong and it could set us back years.

Edited by Renegade

1 hour ago, Renegade said:

I don't mind building a completely different squad every now and then, especially when it's gone stale (and ours really has).  The big issue here though is how we rebuild them.  When recruiting a new manager, there should've been a lot focus how good a recruiter the perspective manager was.  Has John Robertson rebuilt a side before?  Not really, as far as I'm aware.  Does John Robertson have the contacts to bring players in?  We shall see. 

When Butcher did it in 2009, he had the contacts and the know-how to bring good players in.  He also had a great backbone of a side of established players and those who knew Scottish football inside out.  Esson, Tokely, Duncan, McBain, Golabek and Munro, as well as inheriting Adam Rooney.  Don't have that luxury this time, especially if Raven and Draper are away.

The next few weeks are pivotal.  Get it right and we might be able to bounce back.  Get it wrong and it could set us back years.

I hope I am wrong, but I agree with the above comments, especially setting us back

1 hour ago, Renegade said:

You're right RE the importance of getting recruitment right with our current predicament, but I'm confident Robbo has the contacts to bring players in. He's an extremely well know, well respected figure in Scottish football. I think he'll have the power of persuasion needed to convince players to make the move North.

Also, I don't think any of the managers being tipped to get the managers job (bar Butcher) have previously built their own squad or have the sort of contacts Robbo does.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jingsmonty said:

Hardly - I don't buy my season ticket on the basis of transfer dealings, I buy it to support the team, whoever is in it

While your attitude is commended, not all of us are as fortunate financially so have to make choices where Football is a form of entertainment. Therefore many of us buy our tickets based on what can be classed as value for money - given the farce over pricing and still being one of the highest ST's in the league there is every right to question whether the changes will represent value on the park for the fans. If payers are being moved on now and released rather than announcements made weeks ago when it could have been we have essentially been duped through the expectation that those under contract would have been retained.

When the season ended our manager at that time stated he expected almost all of the squad that day to be staying, while his tenure may have ended nobody from the club has said anything contrary to that statement indicating wholesale cuts in staff are required. I'm sure I'm not the only one looking at what I've paid out and wondering whether they board offer of discounted 2018-19 Premiership ST's was nothing more than a false ploy knowing full well they were not looking to build a squad capable of getting to that level.

Edited by bdu98196
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, bdu98196 said:

While your attitude is commended, not all of us are as fortunate financially so have to make choices where Football is a form of entertainment. Therefore many of us buy our tickets based on what can be classed as value for money - given the farce over pricing and still being one of the highest ST's in the league there is every right to question whether the changes will represent value on the park for the fans. If payers are being moved on now and released rather than announcements made weeks ago when it could have been we have essentially been duped through the expectation that those under contract would have been retained.

When the season ended our manager at that time stated he expected almost all of the squad that day to be staying, while his tenure may have ended nobody from the club has said anything contrary to that statement indicating wholesale cuts in staff are required. I'm sure I'm not the only one looking at what I've paid out and wondering whether they board offer of discounted 2018-19 Premiership ST's was nothing more than a false ploy knowing full well they were not looking to build a squad capable of getting to that level.

I would think you can either afford a season ticket or not afford one - who is in/out of the team us immaterial. I've not exactly got money dribbling out of my pocket either!!

If we don't buy season tickets or go to the games, its hardly going to help. Its a fair point about the club lacking ambition, but I'll reserve judgement on that until end of the season.

I only get to about, roughly, 60% of the games due to work commitments - it's just my way of doing my bit to help the club - don't want to be one of the folk who just turn up for the 'big' games.

Robbo can hardly help it if some of the players have better offers elsewhere - they can't promise who will/won't be remaining at the club! To me, that's part of the challenge for Robbo - I don't think there is any big conspiracy here..

Edited by jingsmonty
Additional text
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 2

Interesting reading on the Mcnaughton situation, 

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/inverness-caledonian-thistle/1276575/end-game-for-mcnaughton-after-caley-thistle-release/

That's a terrible way for the club to act towards him, surely if finances were suddenly an issue a face to face meeting to apologise and explain is the least the club could have done. Think Kevin deserved more than that given his determination to get back into the squad and his behind the scenes coaching work 

41 minutes ago, CableGuy said:

Interesting reading on the Mcnaughton situation, 

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/inverness-caledonian-thistle/1276575/end-game-for-mcnaughton-after-caley-thistle-release/

That's a terrible way for the club to act towards him, surely if finances were suddenly an issue a face to face meeting to apologise and explain is the least the club could have done. Think Kevin deserved more than that given his determination to get back into the squad and his behind the scenes coaching work 

Might be handy to copy and paste as you only get the headline otherwise.

It's reported in other papers as well.  McNaughton was told he was getting a contract and then the offer was withdrawn without a phone call.

SO far that's Josh Meekings, Duncan Shearer and now Kevin McNaughton who have reported this sort of behaviour and that's just the people who have gone public with it.  Best case this is due to the upheaval caused by relegation, changes to the board and management team and we'll settle down and stop this.  Worst case is that the new board are simply arrogant and/or incompetent and are treating people like this due to their own lack of organisation or ability to run an organisation.

I think the worst case scenario is closer to the truth.

1 hour ago, 12th Man said:

Might be handy to copy and paste as you only get the headline otherwise.

I did copy and paste the entire URL unfortunately the p&j website is terribly slow and takes a while to stop loading adverts and load the articles, that's assuming it allows you to read it at all without forcing a subscription down your throat

Defender Kevin McNaughton is considering retirement after the withdrawal of a contract offer from Caley Thistle.

McNaughton’s contract with the Highlanders expired at the end of the season, following the club’s relegation from the Premiership.

Previous manager Richie Foran was keen to keep the 34-year-old, however, new manager John Robertson last week said deals for McNaughton and fellow defender Louis Laing were off due to finances.

The former Aberdeen defender was sidelined for much of last season after suffering an Achilles injury in only his second league game for the Highlanders, a 3-2 defeat against Ross County, after his move from Wigan Athletic last summer.

McNaughton is now in limbo, and he said: “I’m just humming and hawing about whether I want to keep playing. I spoke to Inverness and it was a bit of a shambles really. At the end of last season I was told I’d be offered a new contract, I spoke to the former manager and he was to keen to keep me on.

“But with the manager going, I’ve been in limbo not knowing what’s going on. I hadn’t heard anything for a couple of weeks. At the end of last week I was told they weren’t going to offer anything – I was quite surprised by that. It’s left me with a decision on whether I keep playing and find a club elsewhere.

“I hadn’t really thought about anything else other than Inverness, so it’s back to the drawing board. I’ve never really experienced anything like this.

“I was keen to come back and hadn’t thought about moving. It was a case of signing with them or calling it a day. I’ve started chatting to a few others and clubs and I’ll see if anything develops. If nothing crops up that’s half-decent, I’ll call it a day.”

McNaughton has been disappointed by the lack of communication from the Highlanders and added: “I was scratching my head as to what was going on. I didn’t get a phone call from the club saying I wasn’t going to be offered anything. I got in touch with my agent, to get in touch with the manager and he got through at the end of the week to clarify things. It’s just been weird.

“I don’t know why I didn’t get a phone call. I would have appreciated it a bit more.

“I’ve had a great career, in terms of games played and if I have to call it a day, I won’t be too sad. I just want to keep playing as long as I can. Options become more limited as players get older, particularly if I am not playing as much as I’d like. But anything can crop up – I’m just keeping myself fit.”