Transfer in and outs

ferben1994

2 hours ago, caleyboy said:

Ross county have today bought king Billy from Wigan.

After years of "Always In Our Shadow", "The Feeder Club" and the dreaded "Pride Of The Highlands", I am sure this is just the latest development of the last few months that Roy will be thoroughly enjoying. It took a long time and needed a lot of patience, perseverance and not a little cash, but for the moment, Roy appears to have won the financial war of attrition.

I have no doubt that Billy McKay will be a good signing for Ross County, but this is also the latest of several moves where Caley Thistle have been well and truly upstaged by County. For instance few weeks ago, during a period of complete silence from this side of the first, three press releases came out in one day from Dingwall. These announced the identity of County's new general manager (amid an ongoing information vacuum about ICT's one), arrangements for the County Chairman's next face to face with the fans (say no more) and statistics for uptake resulting from the Jail End price cut (at a time when the ICT board were getting pelters over their ST announcement). Ross County also have a lovely new club shop while the portakabin struggles on at East Longman. Then there's the frequently highlighted differences between the two clubs' hospitality arrangements.

Most fundamental of all, County have always been able to buy themselves out of trouble where necessary while the most Inverness have been able to do was the highly controversial signing of Marius Niculae, funded in exchange for 275,000 shares in the club. Not only have County managed to get the upper hand, they are also well and truly rubbing ICT's nose in it. I don't even know if there's still the equivalent of a red dot on here, and if there is people can give me as many as they like but you cannot escape recent realities which are simply footballing Darwinism - which differs from conventional Darwinism in that the "natural selection" is fuelled by cash.

• Agree 2
  • Sad 1

44 minutes ago, Charles Bannerman said:

After years of "Always In Our Shadow", "The Feeder Club" and the dreaded "Pride Of The Highlands", I am sure this is just the latest development of the last few months that Roy will be thoroughly enjoying. It took a long time and needed a lot of patience, perseverance and not a little cash, but for the moment, Roy appears to have won the financial war of attrition.

I have no doubt that Billy McKay will be a good signing for Ross County, but this is also the latest of several moves where Caley Thistle have been well and truly upstaged by County. For instance few weeks ago, during a period of complete silence from this side of the first, three press releases came out in one day from Dingwall. These announced the identity of County's new general manager (amid an ongoing information vacuum about ICT's one), arrangements for the County Chairman's next face to face with the fans (say no more) and statistics for uptake resulting from the Jail End price cut (at a time when the ICT board were getting pelters over their ST announcement). Ross County also have a lovely new club shop while the portakabin struggles on at East Longman. Then there's the frequently highlighted differences between the two clubs' hospitality arrangements.

Most fundamental of all, County have always been able to buy themselves out of trouble where necessary while the most Inverness have been able to do was the highly controversial signing of Marius Niculae, funded in exchange for 275,000 shares in the club. Not only have County managed to get the upper hand, they are also well and truly rubbing ICT's nose in it. I don't even know if there's still the equivalent of a red dot on here, and if there is people can give me as many as they like but you cannot escape recent realities which are simply footballing Darwinism - which differs from conventional Darwinism in that the "natural selection" is fuelled by cash.

Charles you will get grief for this, but in short you are right. I will no doubt get pelters as well for my thoughts which I believe will be for the good of the club (and therefore us). 

Getting back to transfers, I am sure work is ongoing re this which will be in our interests as well as his, but it is time for OFW to be off the wage bill asap.

Now the unpopular bit, I believe David Raven is the other high earner JR wants to offload. Likewise I think he has to go asap. I know he is an ICT legend, decent bloke and I am a fan of his, but I fear if Raven and OFW are not offloaded asap then Draper will be sold (or more like gifted to County) to fund the former two's wages. 

I am sure Raven and OFW are professional enough that they would still give their all, but it would not be good at all, either financially or footballing wise if they stayed beyond this transfer window.

This is a time to rebuild and for certain players to be moved on. 

In summary, Draper MUST stay, others must go.

Edited by Guest

Unfortunately everything you have said Charles is true, and as much as I hate to say it leaves me quite envious.

They have developed off the field while we have stagnated. Cannot believe for one moment that all the good things across the bridge are down only to the Chairman's money. Maybe they have just got good people behind the scenes who realize that there is more to running a football club than just opening the gates at 2.30 every second Saturday and hoping the punters turn up.   

Its a well known fact that ' Gretna of the north' are being subsidised to the tune of about £1mper year by mileson. Mcgregor .

This allows Cunty to use funding to boost other areas of their setup (rather well I have to admit)

This shows up how over the years ICT have suffered from drastic under funding. 

I hope under Savage this may change for the better.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, caley100 said:

Its a well known fact that ' Gretna of the north' are being subsidised to the tune of about £1mper year by mileson. Mcgregor .

This allows Cunty to use funding to boost other areas of their setup (rather well I have to admit)

All very well Caley100 but it is common knowledge that he will NOT get involved as long as any remnants of Sutherland exist within the club.

1 hour ago, caley100 said:

I would make two observations here.

Firstly, comparisons between Roy MacGregor and Brooks Mileson are pretty tenuous, other than them both being football club sugar daddies. Firstly, Mileson was almost certainly propping up Gretna to a far greater extent than Roy is at Ross County. And, although no sugar daddy relationship is indefinitely sustainable, some are less unsustainable than others and I do believe that Roy's personal health and that of his businesses are in much better nick than was the case with Mileson. I never understood why the media made such a sycophantic fuss about Gretna since is was clear from the start that tis was going to go bellyup far sooner than later.

And secondly, I'm not sure what is meant by "under funding". If that means that the club has been unable to earn enough to sustain its Premiership status, then this is probably true. On the other hand, if it means that not enough rich people have fulfilled the expectation that they put their hands in their pockets to subsidise a loss making business, as would not happen anywhere else in the business world, then that's a different matter.

53 minutes ago, caleyboy said:

All very well Caley100 but it is common knowledge that he will NOT get involved as long as any remnants of Sutherland exist within the club.

The mill wheel turns slowly caleyboy just be patient :wink:

People have been knicker wetting about County's amazing hospitality and revolutionary shop for as long as I can remember.  I can literally remember people saying this stuff 20 years ago.

Billy Mckay signing for County has no impact on us.  If he'd had an offer from a club that finished higher than County or an English club he'd have gone there.  That's it.

Of far more relevance to us is Dundee Utd signing Scott McDonald, an absolute brilliant signing for this level.

• Agree 4

Yep totally agree that is a great signing for Dundee Utd. Though I am a wee bit disappointed that he's ended up at County I do believe that we had the best out of him in his first spell with us. Since then it's been Wigan,Oldham etc with no real success. He may turn it around at County but I personally don't believe he's as good as Boyce was 

Is the apparent inability of OWF and Raven to find new clubs starting to get seriouly concerning? I suspect that between them they are costing us around 5 grand a week, and the cumulative amount since they were advised to find new clubs has already used up the resources to fund 1 "normal" player for a full season.

6 minutes ago, Yngwie said:

Is the apparent inability of OWF and Raven to find new clubs starting to get seriouly concerning? I suspect that between them they are costing us around 5 grand a week, and the cumulative amount since they were advised to find new clubs has already used up the resources to fund 1 "normal" player for a full season.

£2500per week each !!! Didn't realise we paid any of our players that level last year and suspect it is nearer £1500 per week which is still too much !!

6 minutes ago, rocky1 said:

£2500per week each !!! Didn't realise we paid any of our players that level last year and suspect it is nearer £1500 per week which is still too much !!

Alledgley there were seven on over £2000 a week which is now down to £1800!  2 have gone and we are left with 5 at present.

3 hours ago, ictchris said:

People have been knicker wetting about County's amazing hospitality and revolutionary shop for as long as I can remember.  I can literally remember people saying this stuff 20 years ago.

That nothing has been done to make the Inverness scenario any better makes the persistent gulf all the more disappointing. I'm not sure whether or not the tale is Apocryphal of a member of the public arriving at the front door of the Caledonian Stadium many years ago and being asked by a club official "What the f*** do you want?"

In the case of McKay, the termination of his loan at ICT followed immediately by County flashing the cash and buying him simply rubs Inverness noses in it. The last couple of months have been notable for County very conspicuously doing things which Inverness have failed to accomplish. County have always understood the notion of public perception far better than ICT and are now taking the opportunity to drive home their advantage so they are perceived as the dominant football club in the Highlands across a wide spectrum of criteria.

5 minutes ago, old caley girl said:

However this is not the players problem surely? Like us all they work to earn money? Relegation has been a disaster. 

My first thought here is that the numbers which have been stated in recent posts lack substantiation so you do wonder to what extent they may be products of the rumour mill. But, even in the Premiership, numbers like these - if even remotely accurate - would indicate a club which was paying players way above their market value for the situation the club was in.

• Agree 1

When County win the Scottish cup and in the same season finish high enough in the league to qualify for Europe then I'll start worrying about the club shop. Everything they do is an attempt to upstage ICT based on bitterness and envy. The Noisy neighbours.

On transfers, facts of relegation are plain. You have to move high earners on. Surely no one was under any illusions otherwise. This happens in every league in the world. You go down you cut costs, but attempt to bring in a fresh bunch to help fire you straight back up.

I think we're one or 2 short. Maybe 3. If 2 move on we can then sort that. This is known. This has been well communicated. 

As to the chairman addressing fans. There's an EGM coming up. There's your opportunity. Let shareholders know. Have them be your voice. 

• Agree 1

Who cares what Ross County do? We all understand what they're doing, why they're doing it and where the money comes from to finance it all. Its up to them. We should be worrying about getting our own house in order and not wetting our pants with jealousy about anything happening in Dingwall. 

• Agree 3

I'm still struggling to work out this whole goalkeeper line of thinking.  We want to offload Fon Williams because he's on a high wage - that I can understand, yet we already have Cameron Mackay (who looks a very capable young keeper) and Ryan Esson, along with Daniel Hoban and a lad Foster from the U17s, yet before we offload Fon Williams we bring in yet another goalkeeper.  It doesn't make any sense to me at all.  On top of that, Ridgers looks really dodgy to me and has yet to inspire me that he has what it takes to be our long term number 1.  I never really rated when I saw him at his previous clubs either actually.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1