Transfer in and outs

ferben1994

On 25/07/2017 at 11:27 AM, caleyboy said:

Ross county have today bought king Billy from Wigan.

Very interesting article on Billy in the Inverness Courier today.  Billy has had a recurring groin strain which clearly was a concern for County if they were going to sign him.  Billy is quoted as saying "It's been ongoing for 18 months and I've been at a few clubs - no-one picked up on what it was."  "I've come up here and within an hour of my medical they knew what the problem was, had me booked in and got it sorted."  Well done County!  But given the number of injuries at ICT and the sheer length of time that some of the players seem to be out for, one wonders if there is an issue here.  Getting top medical support for the players may be expensive but it can be much more expensive for the club if players are out for any length of time or playing through injury.  It is expensive in terms of bringing in players to cover and also in terms of the consequences of poorer results due to key players being absent.  Had Billy's problem been sorted out earlier and he had been firing on all cylinders last season, we may not have been relegated.

7 minutes ago, DoofersDad said:

Very interesting article on Billy in the Inverness Courier today.  Billy has had a recurring groin strain which clearly was a concern for County if they were going to sign him.  Billy is quoted as saying "It's been ongoing for 18 months and I've been at a few clubs - no-one picked up on what it was."  "I've come up here and within an hour of my medical they knew what the problem was, had me booked in and got it sorted."  Well done County!  But given the number of injuries at ICT and the sheer length of time that some of the players seem to be out for, one wonders if there is an issue here.  Getting top medical support for the players may be expensive but it can be much more expensive for the club if players are out for any length of time or playing through injury.  It is expensive in terms of bringing in players to cover and also in terms of the consequences of poorer results due to key players being absent.  Had Billy's problem been sorted out earlier and he had been firing on all cylinders last season, we may not have been relegated.

Aye and Foran would still be here :ohmy:

54 minutes ago, DoofersDad said:

Just because they think it's been identified the real proof will be in the coming months, while Billy may make positive noises it could just be another false dawn for him but for now he's spinning the positive media lines.

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, DoofersDad said:

Groin injuries in particular are notorious for being hard to diagnose. Remember than in that 18 months he was only at ICT for 6 Months and Wigan/Dundee United for the rest.

Whilst we have had a rotten 2 years now with injury, the season before, when we reached Europe and won the cup we hardly had any major injuries. As far as I'm aware there haven't been any major changes within our medical team since then.

In Billys case it may have been the RC Dr has good knowledge of groins..... and was able to spot the issue. Sometimes diagnosis can be a little luck. It's not an exact science.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hiro said:

Thats Connor Bell signed on a one year deal. Seemed to make a big impression on those who were at Clach on Tuesday night.

Yes, I have high hopes for him. He looks a right wee menace to opposing defenders. He had a shot and a header on target when he came on for last ten minutes. Compare this to Susan who was on for last 20 minutes and not a sniff at goal, or it would appear any idea where the goal is. Nuff said.  

Heard yesterday from a friend of a friend that County's offer for Draper was £80,000 and rejected but intend to call the bluff of ICT who want £135,000 for Draper and offer £100,000 on the last day of the Transfer Day. Whats the bet the club accept that? and we loose another core member of the squad. We appear to be going for Quantity over Quality and having watched Hearts V Dunfermline yesterday and the Dundee derby today we have no chance of beating these fellow championship teams so my guess is we will be a mid table team. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Polo Chick said:

Heard yesterday from a friend of a friend that County's offer for Draper was £80,000 and rejected but intend to call the bluff of ICT who want £135,000 for Draper and offer £100,000 on the last day of the Transfer Day. Whats the bet the club accept that? and we loose another core member of the squad. We appear to be going for Quantity over Quality and having watched Hearts V Dunfermline yesterday and the Dundee derby today we have no chance of beating these fellow championship teams so my guess is we will be a mid table team. 

Havent a clue re first bit but Robbo is on record as saying if hes still here at end of July hes staying? 

As for the team I think its wayyyy too early for any predictions. As so many have come in we have to give it time to gel. Last time we got relegated it took time to adjust and Im anticipating the same this time. Tbh my hopes are for a top 4 place to get us in playoffs and anything more will be a bonus. 

Edited by old caley girl
I cant spell
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

On 29/07/2017 at 6:15 PM, Council Juice said:

Groin injuries in particular are notorious for being hard to diagnose. Remember than in that 18 months he was only at ICT for 6 Months and Wigan/Dundee United for the rest.

Whilst we have had a rotten 2 years now with injury, the season before, when we reached Europe and won the cup we hardly had any major injuries. As far as I'm aware there haven't been any major changes within our medical team since then.

In Billys case it may have been the RC Dr has good knowledge of groins..... and was able to spot the issue. Sometimes diagnosis can be a little luck. It's not an exact science.

Are you a doctor working for the council CJ?

2 hours ago, Polo Chick said:

With the harsh economic reality of relegation, it's beyond doubt that we needed to slash the wage bill to secure the financial future of the club and many of the highest earners had to go. However, fiscal prudence has to be balanced with retaining some ambition to get back to the top tier.

Since the turn of the season, we have shed the substantial salaries of Tansey, Meekings, McNaughton, Boden and Anier all of whom were, by all accounts, on salaries of or approaching six figures. We will also lose the expense of OFW's salary as son as his agent can secure him a contract elsewhere. In addition, we are no longer making a contribution to the income of our loanees King and McKay which would also have been a very tidy sum.

By any standards, our cost base has been slashed and probably inevitably so and, personally, I have no difficulty with that.

That said, if we are going to have any realistic hope of promotion we need to retain some quality. There are some very decent teams in this division and, if we are to challenge towards the top, we need to be able to match them. In order to do so, we need players of the quality and experience of Raven. Warren and Draper in the team. Whether these individuals are still with us come the end of the transfer window will say a lot about whether our board are ambitious or not.

• Agree 3

1 minute ago, Kingsmills said:

With the harsh economic reality of relegation, it's beyond doubt that we needed to slash the wage bill to secure the financial future of the club and many of the highest earners had to go. However, fiscal prudence has to be balanced with retaining some ambition to get back to the top tier.

Since the turn of the season, we have shed the substantial salaries of Tansey, Meekings, McNaughton, Boden and Anier all of whom were, by all accounts, on salaries of or approaching six figures. We will also lose the expense of OFW's salary as son as his agent can secure him a contract elsewhere. In addition, we are no longer making a contribution to the income of our loanees King and McKay which would also have been a very tidy sum.

By any standards, our cost base has been slashed and probably inevitably so and, personally, I have no difficulty with that.

That said, if we are going to have any realistic hope of promotion we need to retain some quality. There are some very decent teams in this division and, if we are to challenge towards the top, we need to be able to match them. In order to do so, we need players of the quality and experience of Raven. Warren and Draper in the team. Whether these individuals are still with us come the end of the transfer window will say a lot about whether our board are ambitious or not.

Totally - we need some experienced heads there to help a vastly changed team gel (not there yet, that's for sure..).

On 25/07/2017 at 11:22 PM, Charles Bannerman said:

That nothing has been done to make the Inverness scenario any better makes the persistent gulf all the more disappointing. I'm not sure whether or not the tale is Apocryphal of a member of the public arriving at the front door of the Caledonian Stadium many years ago and being asked by a club official "What the f*** do you want?"

In the case of McKay, the termination of his loan at ICT followed immediately by County flashing the cash and buying him simply rubs Inverness noses in it. The last couple of months have been notable for County very conspicuously doing things which Inverness have failed to accomplish. County have always understood the notion of public perception far better than ICT and are now taking the opportunity to drive home their advantage so they are perceived as the dominant football club in the Highlands across a wide spectrum of criteria.

Think County are delighting in getting their own back for us signing Don Cowie (local boy & captain) on a pre-contract several years ago...!

11 minutes ago, ictchris said:

We couldn't agree a fee with Buckie for Kevin Fraser after his trial so he is staying with them and has signed a new contract. 

What a farce of a situation.

Indeed. I can't work out why we wouldn't have agreed/broadly outlined the terms of a deal prior to taking him on trial.

Unless Buckie changed the goalposts.....

16 minutes ago, Hiro said:

Indeed. I can't work out why we wouldn't have agreed/broadly outlined the terms of a deal prior to taking him on trial.

Unless Buckie changed the goalposts.....

After what's gone on in the last 2 years I'd be amazed if Buckie were at fault. The Highland league winners captain and best player, obviously they'd want a fee. A large one at that.

1 hour ago, old caley girl said:

So much for not selling him past end July then! 

If true that says a great deal about the ambition, or lack of it, of the current regime. Content now to linger in the Championships rather than seriously contend for promotion.

That said, I am hoping that this is merely another unfounded rumour.

• Agree 1

Just now, Kingsmills said:

If true that says a great deal about the ambition, or lack of it, of the current regime. Content now to linger in the Championships rather than seriously contend for promotion.

That said, I am hoping that this is merely another unfounded rumour.

I bet they blame OFW and Raven still being here? Totally agree tho with last point