Transfer in and outs

ferben1994

It's absolutely imperative we keep Draper.  Absolutely no way we'll be promoted if he's sold as I can't see us being able to sign anyone half as good.  No doubt the money will just be squandered as well.

• Agree 4

Anyone who genuinely thought we wouldn't sell him to County was kidding themselves. If the right offer comes in for the guy of course we would be letting him go, even if Fon Williams and Raven had moved on. That said, £100k is the least I would be wanting to get for the guy but we're not exactly adept at transfer negotiations. 

It was reported  in the inverness courier on 28th July that 'Robertson had stated that they needed to shift two players to free wages but yesterday he confirmed this would not now be necessary due to the board's generosity'. So I hope this rings true and we can hold on to Raven and Draper. We need their experience to gel this new squad together. 

• Agree 1

Can anyone who was at AGM confirm what I'm hearing about JR saying that OFW was the one who triggered a clause to allow him to leave if he finds a new club? Puts a very different light on things if true and would explain why he is not being played.

Surely we'd be OK if we just move OFW on? Draper is key and it's vital we keep him. Ravens contract only runs to January. It would make sense to keep him until then and maybe, if required replace in January. Or offer him a deal on lower wages at the time. He might favour that over tearing up roots and moving.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, forresjags said:

Absolute p*ss take talking about £100 000. Draper is as influential to us as Boyce was to them. so that has to be reflected in his market value. Fecking scoundrels trying to unsettle our player.      

By all accounts Draper is pretty content and been training well so I don't think he's unsettled. The issue we have and alluded to on one of the other threads is that there have been some 'soft loans' made. As much as we all know that Draper is worth more than £100k we may not be in a position to turn down any 6 figure sum regardless of previous statements.

• Agree 1

Can't quite understand why OFW is still here, certainly footballing wise. He must surely want a new club as he won't remain as Wales No.3 goalkeeper sitting in the stand on a Saturday afternoon. I am sure he will be gone soon which will benefit him and ICT. If/when he does go I wish him well as I think he was playing while injured from New Year onwards and was struggling.

Also, wonder if we could get Josh Meekings back on a reduced wage, even until January so he can get fit and put himself in the shop window. That would benefit Josh and ICT both.  I am concerned about Warren's injury.  Elsdon I do not rate as he is slow and basically crap in my opinion. Is he really a Middlesborough player?, more like Scarborough level!!

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Hiro said:

By all accounts Draper is pretty content and been training well so I don't think he's unsettled. The issue we have and alluded to on one of the other threads is that there have been some 'soft loans' made. As much as we all know that Draper is worth more than £100k we may not be in a position to turn down any 6 figure sum regardless of previous statements.

It's not just about the money here, the club need to make a statement to the fans that they have ambitions to regroup and move on, and not take the first derisory offer that comes along.

Lets hope it is all lazy journalist speculation.  

There comes a tipping point for most clubs in our situation where we either show some ambition or just resign ourselves to mediocrity. It seems to be the latter for our current board if they sell Draper. If we hold on to him and if we can create a winning team, the revenue we will make by getting promoted far outweighs the transfer fee we would get from County. Let's face it, a move to County is hardly a dream move as they could well be flirting with relegation again as their management team are not as good as they think they are and only Uncle Roy's money has bailed them out.

On a serious note though, our Board must now start to create some ambition for the club with a clear plan on how to take us forward. This has been sadly lacking from our previous chairman and shows no sign of improving with our new chairman. Has our new chairman actually said anything of note since taking over?. He should have at least organised a fans get together by now to outline the board's plan for this season and beyond but, as usual, the board remain silent. Appreciate they may be backing Robbo with cash but the silence is worrying to me. Think the board needs fresh blood, even some common sense would help, as soon as possible.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Caman said:

Can't quite understand why OFW is still here, certainly footballing wise. He must surely want a new club as he won't remain as Wales No.3 goalkeeper sitting in the stand on a Saturday afternoon. I am sure he will be gone soon which will benefit him and ICT. If/when he does go I wish him well as I think he was playing while injured from New Year onwards and was struggling.

Also, wonder if we could get Josh Meekings back on a reduced wage, even until January so he can get fit and put himself in the shop window. That would benefit Josh and ICT both.  I am concerned about Warren's injury.  Elsdon I do not rate as he is slow and basically crap in my opinion. Is he really a Middlesborough player?, more like Scarborough level!!

By all accounts Meekings is training with Dundee and has been watching them from their stand, and it was reported that he had a Dundee jacket on, but no word of signing yet. I agree that it would have made more sense for him to sign a short term deal with us, if he is fit, to announce to future employers that he is back.

The next 3 weeks will tell us a huge amount about where we are and where we are likely to go. If Drapes were to be sold for £100k, that will give us a clue as to the depth of the financial predicament and how the Club feel it should be resolved. What happens with Fon Williams and Raven will also give indications regarding both ambitions for the season and skill in the off-pitch aspects of football.

As with all these issues, we are totally in the dark, so nobody can make informed comment. Draper has been a brilliant servant to the club, but we'd be raging in 10 months' time and we lost him to County on a free (e.g. Ross, Shinnie, Tansey). Equally, if his sale made the difference between solvency or not, we'd tear the Board to shreds if they didn't do the right thing to save the club.

We need to offload some big earners, so OFW needs to go ASAP. The decision might then be between Raven and Draper. For me, Draper would be a bigger loss, but would bring in more cash. Tricky.

On the pitch, performances have to improve - Robbo hasn't found the formula yet and there are tough fixtures ahead. We need ro get the outstanding issues around the squad sorted so that we can shut up shop and get on with the football.

• Agree 4

27 minutes ago, PerfICT said:

The next 3 weeks will tell us a huge amount about where we are and where we are likely to go. If Drapes were to be sold for £100k, that will give us a clue as to the depth of the financial predicament and how the Club feel it should be resolved. What happens with Fon Williams and Raven will also give indications regarding both ambitions for the season and skill in the off-pitch aspects of football.

As with all these issues, we are totally in the dark, so nobody can make informed comment. Draper has been a brilliant servant to the club, but we'd be raging in 10 months' time and we lost him to County on a free (e.g. Ross, Shinnie, Tansey). Equally, if his sale made the difference between solvency or not, we'd tear the Board to shreds if they didn't do the right thing to save the club.

We need to offload some big earners, so OFW needs to go ASAP. The decision might then be between Raven and Draper. For me, Draper would be a bigger loss, but would bring in more cash. Tricky.

On the pitch, performances have to improve - Robbo hasn't found the formula yet and there are tough fixtures ahead. We need ro get the outstanding issues around the squad sorted so that we can shut up shop and get on with the football.

You are right in what you say, it's just a waiting game for us supporters!

Sadly when we aren't far of being outnumbered by the away support for our opening home game of the season the boards hand could very well be forced in a financial sense. Whether that means some stay away or not time will tell. 

For all the talk of his importance to the team Draper for me doesn't contribute nearly enough with his overall game and severely limits the creative side of things for us. If his breaking up of play was quite as good as some would lead you to believe we would have conceded far less goals over the last 12 months.

• Agree 2

Good post, Sean.  I don't think Draper is playing nearly as well as he did a couple of years back and I think maybe that some posters' take on the importance of Draper to the team is based on past performances and not on more recent ones.  To me, he doesn't seem to have the drive he once had.. He can be a real handful going forward but he rarely seems to take responsibility for anything creative. With the talk about the need to get Raven off the books my observation would be that Raven played a lot better and showed considerably more commitment against Dundee Utd than Draper did.  Despite the fact that in Warren's absence he was given the captain's armband, I saw precious little leadership from him on the park on Saturday.

The club have made it quite clear that they are prepared to sell him for something a shade above £100k or thereabouts.  If he stays, it will be more a reflection of other clubs' views on his worth rather than our determination to keep him. Getting £100k for him and freeing up his wages may not be a bad move.  I certainly think Raven's contract should be extended, and with Seedorf looking good in the Right Back position, I think Raven could do a real job in Draper's current role.  He's defensively solid, can tackle well, he's not afraid to run with the ball or have a shot at goal and always gives 100%.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Lack of commitment from Draper on Saturday? I must have imagined him battering through United players to win back lost balls. I agree he's not been at his best over the last few months but honestly who in an ICT shirt has been? Last season was utterly farcical for so many reasons and I would be wary of writing off a players importance to us based on what was one of the most chaotic periods in our recent history.

• Agree 3

Hopeless speculation . 

Lets not unsettle our own players please. 

More interested in the meekings and raven contracts.

Can ravens contract be extended but reduced. One of our best players saturday. 

Is meekings a ship that has sailed to dundee or if not taken up will he come back to the fold?

Oh to have Meekings back - we really missed him last year. However, the chances are nil IMO. Not only has he turned down a contract extension with us, but he's too costly and too much of a risk, given his recurrent injury. Robbo had surely moved on from that forlorn hope. Really sad because Josh has been outstanding for us, but the ship has sailed.

It looks like the "norm" is to chastise present day players and extol those who have left or are undecided about staying. Lets face it - the mere fact that Draper may be staying is surprising but most would say that we really, really need him. I thought that he played well at Forfar, RIG (and probably others) feel that he played well against the Arabs. We will be getting the Vigurs Neanderthals shouting abuse at Draper soon ?

I'd far rather have Draper in the team than not but I'm just making the observation that he doesn't seem to be as effective of late.  You certainly can't fault his commitment when trying to win the ball back when he's lost it - particularly if he feels he was fouled in the process - but you don't see as much of that drive in other aspects of his play.  He didn't have a bad game on Saturday but there were a few others who were better.  I don't see anyone shouting abuse at him, but if he is going to stay, I would like to see him back to his rampaging best.  I'd rather he stayed, but on current form I don't think it will be a disaster if he goes.