Transfer in and outs

ferben1994

Rig, no players are loyal, they are all out for what they can earn, clearly he has had a better offer across the bridge, we know this better than most given the number who have moved on when the money is right. We need to find new hungry players who want to step up from their current earnings/standard and if they make the grade they too will move on when the price is right. I don't like the way that football has gone but I'm afraid that's the reality of it. What pains me is the situation which we now find ourselves in was entirely avoidable but we can't now cry over spilt milk, we are where we are.

3 minutes ago, Kind of Blue said:

Hugely disappointed by Draper's departure.  The Board need to now demonstrate that we really are going to have a genuine promotion chasing squad by giving Robertson the funds get some quality signings in the August window,

The board are going to buy some tickets for the Euromillions this weekend it will be our only hope of that!

I did hear that Draper did not put in a transfer request and he is not happy with the official announcement :ohmy:

On 07/08/2017 at 9:25 PM, PerfICT said:

The next 3 weeks will tell us a huge amount about where we are and where we are likely to go. If Drapes were to be sold for £100k, that will give us a clue as to the depth of the financial predicament and how the Club feel it should be resolved. What happens with Fon Williams and Raven will also give indications regarding both ambitions for the season and skill in the off-pitch aspects of football.

As with all these issues, we are totally in the dark, so nobody can make informed comment. Draper has been a brilliant servant to the club, but we'd be raging in 10 months' time and we lost him to County on a free (e.g. Ross, Shinnie, Tansey). Equally, if his sale made the difference between solvency or not, we'd tear the Board to shreds if they didn't do the right thing to save the club.

We need to offload some big earners, so OFW needs to go ASAP. The decision might then be between Raven and Draper. For me, Draper would be a bigger loss, but would bring in more cash. Tricky.

On the pitch, performances have to improve - Robbo hasn't found the formula yet and there are tough fixtures ahead. We need ro get the outstanding issues around the squad sorted so that we can shut up shop and get on with the football.

So, going back to this point, I now reckon we are deep in debt and can't afford to gamble on a promotion push, so we've sold the family silver. Robbo's assertion that he'd not sell after the end of July is dust. I doubt we'll get anyone else in - the best have been snapped up and the income has gone to the bottom line. So, we'll go with what we've got and a club with poor morale and a disillusioned support. The result of a catalogue of errors since the day Dundee United knocked on the door for Hughes. Those of you who think our youth might be our salvation - the SFA's project Brave is likely to wipe that out for us too. Tough decisions about to be made on how to deal with that little gem too.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, IBM said:

The board are going to buy some tickets for the Euromillions this weekend it will be our only hope of that!

I did hear that Draper did not put in a transfer request and he is not happy with the official announcement :ohmy:

He wouldnt be away if he hadnt made it crystal clear he wanted to go? I assume then the statement is factually correct. 

1 hour ago, IBM said:

Don't worry in a few days time, once they are compelled to by the truth emerging, the club will issue a second statement correcting the original and containing a full but wholly insincere apology.

Haven't you noticed? It's the way we operate these days.

There is no reason why fans should expect "loyalty" from players in the sense that we feel betrayed when they take a decision to move on.  Why on earth would Draper choose to play in the Championship when he has the opportunity to play in the Premiership?  Why would he turn down the offer of earning more money somewhere else.  If Draper was on £2,000 a week then that may sound a lot to some folk, but being a professional footballer is not something you do till you start receiving your old age pension.  Players only earn good money for a few years and after that they need to find other work till they get their pension.  Sure, the top players get silly money, but players at our level need to maximise their earnings when they can in order to provide some level of security for their families.  If players choose to stay at the club rather than move on then that is fantastic (as long as we want them to stay!) but it is wrong to expect that kind of loyalty.  What we can expect from players is for them to play for the shirt when they are here.  Ross Draper did that for several years for this club and I salute him for that.

Have we sold him on the cheap?  No.  I don't think so.  It has been well known that Draper was available if the price was right and if no club has come in for him for more than County were willing to pay then I would suggest that what they are paying is his market value.  Whilst a good ball winner, Draper scores very few goals for a midfielder and is not a very creative player.  Getting £100k and saving his wages is a significant boost to pretty empty coffers and I would imagine that Robbo will be looking to use some of that to bring in a combative midfielder with a more attacking mindset.   I'm not sure Draper really fits in with Robbos approach to the game, and whilst I'm sorry to see him go, we might find more positives than negatives come out of this.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, IBM said:

Sorry I can't believe that. There's no way that communication from the club would be off the mark...

Another kick in the gonads to the fans and still no explanations from the Board about last season's fiasco. I hear that Roberto Carlos Tremarco is next on County's list. How I am regretting buying a season ticket.

Right, Draper has gone...lets move on, eh! We can debate the rights & wrongs for the rest of the season but it won't change anything..

Personally, as I said before, if Draper wanted to go, not much point in keeping him...still think we sold him cheaply though..

BUT...frees up a big earner off the wages bill, as well as the somewhat paltry transfer fee - might help in the longer term, who knows...

• Disagree 1

Exactly, no point talking about it and querying why the guy who was being made out to be one of our leading players to get us back up this season has been sold to our rivals. That's the kind of attitude the board of this club love. Stick your head in the sand, don't question anything, keep paying your money and coming along to games.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

12 minutes ago, RiG said:

Exactly, no point talking about it and querying why the guy who was being made out to be one of our leading players to get us back up this season has been sold to our rivals. That's the kind of attitude the board of this club love. Stick your head in the sand, don't question anything, keep paying your money and coming along to games.

Bingo. Being a supporter isn't just blindly applauding every defeat and looking for the positives in every negative that befalls the club. Being a supporter also entails questioning decisions and if your unhappy about something then saying it. Our board don't answer any of our questions because they have no answers. No idea how to turn things around by the look of things.

ultimately we all want the club moving forwards in a positive fashion. It hasn't for quite some time. Being a supporter, a supporter of my club, I want to know the reasons this isn't happening and finding our ways we can address what's going wrong. Looking for positives when our rivals have bought our vice captain for a very conservative amount isn't one of them.

• Agree 2

I know people are disappointed Draper has left the building and I know some people are going into meltdown that he's moved to County, but the issue for me is not the fact he's gone, or to where he has departed to.  It's the fact that it essentially accepts that we don't have the drive to get promoted.  We're content with slipping into obscurity and years in the wilderness.  We've lost big players in the past, players better than Draper, and done alright, but this time there's just an accepting that the dream is over.  So far, the only player I've seen rumoured to be coming in as his replacement is Ivor Lawton - a guy who's been crocked for the best part of two years and at the age of 21 has only played three first team games ever....for Nuneaton.  This is after we've been knocked back earlier this season by a player from Buckie Thistle, a player from Cove Rangers and others (according to Robbo) from the lower leagues.

As mentioned, in the past we've found ways to get by, but this time I've no faith in the management team or the board in order to find someone who can plug that gap.  I heard from quite a good source a few weeks back that behind the scenes, John Robertson had been telling people that one of his new signings would reach the top - not just the top of the Championship, but the very top of Scottish football.  The player's name......Felitciano Zschusschen.  Oh.

• Like 1

If everything hits the wall again this season you can be sure that this Board will blame John Robertson. If they are so feart that they cower behind closed doors, revealing as little of their plans as they can, don't give interviews (as far as I can judge from afar) and won't engage outside parties (Press etc) in any kind of spirited exchanges.. where is the drive and leadership going to come from to get our ball rolling? What we need is another General George Patton of WW11 fame  to step forth into the limelight with a "rummel 'em up" approach and stoke the fires of controversy that will get the blood churning  and set a blaze under the pants of everyone around? 

And, if J. R.  leaves, that will be a real disaster which will leave us ...where?  Deeper in the wilderness for a start, minus a manager for second, and unable to attract a top class manager for sure. Especially since we are a far north and somewhat parochial destination that folks who have not actually spent some time in Inverness may well see as a drawback to moving here:- :blush:

i.e. It won't be like the current Hearts situation where the 'phone is ringing off the hook and good candidates are contacting the club asking for an interview before they have even drawn breath. Mind you , with the loyal and good support they have from their fans, the stadium atmosphere which I have heard is genuinely great, and a very interesting  new stand about to take shape, this is an attractive club in a very attractive Capital  city which is renowned for it's medical teaching excellence, and sundry other attractive features too numerous to mention.  Caley thistle doesn't have such assets and will have to blow their trumpet very loud and strongly to arouse interest.  Ads I say  ...the Wilderness beckons.

Obviously disappointed with the outcome, draper was a fine player for us and will be remembered as so. However, there were signs last season of a lack of mobility and general ageing. This is a one-way road heading downhill. While I would have loved him to stayed and feel he would have been perfect for this season I kinda see the financial sense of cashing in. What happens if he gets crocked early in the season, he is on heavy wages, leaves a big hole in the team and we would not be receiving any transfer for him. I think he may struggle to get into a very mobile county side. Perhaps I am just sour.  I wish him no further success in his career until he moves elsewhere.

Whilst signing for County is hard to take, due to our locality it is an easy choice for settled pros to make the short and relatively short moves to our neighbours north and east. They are now playing at a higher standard and receive much better wages so you cant begrudge them moving on too move. Globalisation and professionalism of football has put paid to this 'loyalty' nonsense. Its long gone, accept it. Anyone of us would do exactly the same.

• Like 1

The way some people are carrying on you'd think we'd just lost Lionel Messi. Let's get real folks. Big Drapes was a good stopper, a big lump who put himself about and caused chaos in and around the opposition penalty area - but he could also struggle to string a straight 5 yard pass at times. Technique-wise we're talking North Caledonian Super League level. Don't get me wrong, every team needs a stopper in the middle of the park - however, I doubt very much that Russel Duncan was on £2,000 a week, or anywhere near to being our highest paid player - and there's a very good reason for that. The reality is, County have a wealthy suitor with money to burn, we don't. We have to cut our cloth and get on with it. 

People always moan when stalwarts leave (Munro, Tokely, Duncan etc) but if you want to make an omelette, you have to break a few eggs. You can't rebuild a team unless you clear the decks first. Anyone who sat through the dross of last season could see a rebuilding job was needed. The young lads who are coming through - Calder (21), Seedorf (22), Oakley (21), Mulraney (21), Brad Mackay (24), Polworth (22), Cooper (23), Bell (20) - are only going to get better. I'd much rather get back to the SPL with a fresh generation of players who can keep us there long term and potentially reach new heights than simply bounce back with the same declining team who'd only be clinging on at the bottom of the table as soon as we got there. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3