Transfer in and outs

ferben1994

23 hours ago, Council Juice said:

I believe a relegation release clause basically just means that he's free to leave without compensation if the club get relegated and another club offers him a deal. It's not a contract termination. He'd be perfectly entitled to sit out the rest of his deal unless the club choose to release him, and they'd probably have to give him a severance package.

At the moment it seems he's essentially placed himself on gardening leave. His contract is being paid but hes not really involved. Mind you, I don't know how that sells himself to other clubs as a model pro.

Surely if OFW has any self respect, he will be looking to find another club ASAP - suprised to hear that he has turned down offers already, seems strange to me - is he trying to take us for a ride? I fear so..

1 hour ago, jingsmonty said:

Surely if OFW has any self respect, he will be looking to find another club ASAP - suprised to hear that he has turned down offers already, seems strange to me - is he trying to take us for a ride? I fear so..

I fear you are right monty!

Football is not a charity, JingsMonty.

Why should the player not look out for his own interest when he is released, possibly against his will or possibly unfairly as well? Your opinion does suggest that he should live in a fairyland of unreality. For one thing, I have not seen conclusive proof that he is not suffering from his constantly painful injured bodypart. If he is, what chance does he have of getting another goalie position in the near future. Any club that sees him as a future prospect will be sure to give him a very intense medical examination and all evidence points to the fact that he can be out of football for a long time. So his family has to starve in the meantime, eh?  In that event would the consciences of those on our current Board  give them sleepless nights once OFW is out of sight and out of mind? Frankly, if OFW were to consider the course of action you seem to favour I think he would later  simply rue the day.

Who does he contact to fight his battles for him against a fairly large corporation, study his contract and come up with a reasoned defence of his position in order to ensure that the injuries he suffered are not used by the club to dump him on the scrapheap?  Only a probably expensive Lawyer who, in turn, may well have his own  interests to the fore and attempts to drag out the process to his (the lawyer's) benefit. 

Personally speaking, based on fairly recent performances  whilst still injured,  I feel that it could very well be that OFW's career is well-nigh finished. If he is entitled to compensation then that should be fairly negotiated and paid out swiftly. Then ICT's name remains untarnished and their reputation as fair dealers enhanced. Which will in itself help to attract the right kind of player in all future dealings. 

I agree on one point though and that is if he is , on the surface at least, fit to play then he should be in the team to share Ridger's responsibilities to the mutual benefit of himself , Ridgers and the club. Because we need a top class goalie to allow us to move ahead to the top of this league .

• Like 1

Just because a player, or indeed any employee, seeks to leave their current employment due to a change in circumstances as per their contract they are under no obligation to accept the first offer that comes along.

Who's to say other offers haven't been on significantly less money, mean moving a considerable distance that isn't favourable, at a level that he feels he can do better than (He may still have international ambitions this summer so being 2nd choice or at a low level may not enhance those).

Just because a person  wishes to leave one job they generally won't jump into the first available if they think they can help it. They pick the best for their own circumstances.

10 hours ago, Scarlet Pimple said:

Football is not a charity, JingsMonty.

Why should the player not look out for his own interest when he is released, possibly against his will or possibly unfairly as well? Your opinion does suggest that he should live in a fairyland of unreality. For one thing, I have not seen conclusive proof that he is not suffering from his constantly painful injured bodypart. If he is, what chance does he have of getting another goalie position in the near future. Any club that sees him as a future prospect will be sure to give him a very intense medical examination and all evidence points to the fact that he can be out of football for a long time. So his family has to starve in the meantime, eh?  In that event would the consciences of those on our current Board  give them sleepless nights once OFW is out of sight and out of mind? Frankly, if OFW were to consider the course of action you seem to favour I think he would later  simply rue the day.

Who does he contact to fight his battles for him against a fairly large corporation, study his contract and come up with a reasoned defence of his position in order to ensure that the injuries he suffered are not used by the club to dump him on the scrapheap?  Only a probably expensive Lawyer who, in turn, may well have his own  interests to the fore and attempts to drag out the process to his (the lawyer's) benefit. 

Personally speaking, based on fairly recent performances  whilst still injured,  I feel that it could very well be that OFW's career is well-nigh finished. If he is entitled to compensation then that should be fairly negotiated and paid out swiftly. Then ICT's name remains untarnished and their reputation as fair dealers enhanced. Which will in itself help to attract the right kind of player in all future dealings. 

I agree on one point though and that is if he is , on the surface at least, fit to play then he should be in the team to share Ridger's responsibilities to the mutual benefit of himself , Ridgers and the club. Because we need a top class goalie to allow us to move ahead to the top of this league .

From what I heard from Robbo at the open meeting, OFW instigated the relegation release clause himself - it wasn't the club. I fully appreciate he was playing with an injury last season & applaud him for that (as I did at the time) - would also accept this is a cause of some of his erratic performances last season. However - Robbo categoricaly stated that he has TURNED DOWN OFFERS FROM OTHER CLUBS - how can you justify that? Including an offer from the USA, I believe (apparently that's what he'd like to do). If he goes, all tbe best to him.

I'm not against the club supporting players (of course I'm not!), but I find it hard to see how the club is in the wrong here.

If the club were that ruthless, they wouldn't be supporting Aaron Doran with his career threatening injury, would they! We would all be (quite rightly) up in arms as well...

• Agree 2

If OFW is on a wage of say £2,000 a week and is told that he is free to leave ICT he isn't obligated to accept any old offer from a club that comes in for him. You'd imagine that he'll be after a club that will pay him similar to what he is currently on and might not be so willing to take a huge wage cut. Can't imagine that many teams will be him as great value for money especially after some of the howlers he's had over the last season.

• Agree 1

I have just come back from a golfing holiday in the north of Scotland with 5 pals.  Our schedule did not permit us, unfortunately, to get to Brechin for the match.  We did however get to Forres to see them play Cove, my first Highland League match in over 30 years!.  On arriving at Mosset park we headed straight for the bar in the back of the stand.  The Forres officials there , including the chairman, could not have been more welcoming to a group of 6, predominately English, visitors.  The stadium announcer, before reading out the team sheets, even gave us a special welcome over the tannoy! 

As to the game itself, Cove looked to be a tidy, well organised outfit, and could have had more goals.  Now I come to the bit that might have some relevance to this thread title. Cove's centre forward, Mitch Megginson, was the best player on the park, by a mile.  I'm surprised that ICT, or any other senior league side for that matter, has not made a bid for him to play at a higher level.  Just a thought.

Megginson started out at Aberdeen and has had plenty of game time in League 1/Championship over the years before he's naturally filtered down to his level at Highland League.

Edited by RiG

2 hours ago, RiG said:

If OFW is on a wage of say £2,000 a week and is told that he is free to leave ICT he isn't obligated to accept any old offer from a club that comes in for him. You'd imagine that he'll be after a club that will pay him similar to what he is currently on and might not be so willing to take a huge wage cut. Can't imagine that many teams will be him as great value for money especially after some of the howlers he's had over the last season.

The club was more than happy when it was getting thousands from when Fon Williams was away at the Euros.  Fon Williams has a contract and he's more than within his rights to want it to be honoured.  And why should he look for something new?  He has gotten himself a good deal and made the club plenty of money - he's well within his rights to sit tight, I know I would.

• Agree 4

8 minutes ago, Renegade said:

The club was more than happy when it was getting thousands from when Fon Williams was away at the Euros.  Fon Williams has a contract and he's more than within his rights to want it to be honoured.  And why should he look for something new?  He has gotten himself a good deal and made the club plenty of money - he's well within his rights to sit tight, I know I would.

Unfortunately that's another mistake that they made, should have kept Brill instead 

Really?  Fon Williams brought us tens of thousands of pounds from being at the Euros and had had a good season the year before.  Brill had a terrible injury and may never have been the same again.  He's been at two clubs since and both times been unable to get a first team appearance before presumably retiring as a player.  The Brill that we could've kept could well not have been a patch on the one we had before and at the time, retaining Fon Williams over him was an entirely logical thing to do.

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

53 minutes ago, Renegade said:

Really?  Fon Williams brought us tens of thousands of pounds from being at the Euros and had had a good season the year before.  Brill had a terrible injury and may never have been the same again.  He's been at two clubs since and both times been unable to get a first team appearance before presumably retiring as a player.  The Brill that we could've kept could well not have been a patch on the one we had before and at the time, retaining Fon Williams over him was an entirely logical thing to do.

Pretty sure I read at the time either on here or local rags that the "tens of thousands he brought us" was paid back largely to him as a bonus for re-signing?

Could be totally wrong but it's in the back of my mind somewhere.

Anyway point is does he want to be a professional footballer  or a gardening leave goalkeeper/painter.

Football is a short career and u would hope he isn't deliberately turning down offers elsewhere to sit on his erse here.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Caley Mad In Berks said:

I have just come back from a golfing holiday in the north of Scotland with 5 pals.  Our schedule did not permit us, unfortunately, to get to Brechin for the match.  We did however get to Forres to see them play Cove, my first Highland League match in over 30 years!.  On arriving at Mosset park we headed straight for the bar in the back of the stand.  The Forres officials there , including the chairman, could not have been more welcoming to a group of 6, predominately English, visitors.  The stadium announcer, before reading out the team sheets, even gave us a special welcome over the tannoy! 

As to the game itself, Cove looked to be a tidy, well organised outfit, and could have had more goals.  Now I come to the bit that might have some relevance to this thread title. Cove's centre forward, Mitch Megginson, was the best player on the park, by a mile.  I'm surprised that ICT, or any other senior league side for that matter, has not made a bid for him to play at a higher level.  Just a thought.

Is Mitch Megginson an ex Aberdeen player? 

59 minutes ago, Renegade said:

We'll never know the answer to that - I would have liked to keep The Brill at the time, but don't suppose there was room for them both, so didn't have a problem with the decision to retain OFW then, but if he wants to continue playing at a high level, he needs to be playing regular 1st team football, which I doubt he will get here.

Robbo did say that if he was still on our books when the transfer window closes, he would be in the team - but, I can't see him playing OFW ahead of Ridgers.

33 minutes ago, jingsmonty said:

Is Mitch Megginson an ex Aberdeen player? 

Yes.

2 hours ago, RiG said:

Megginson started out at Aberdeen and has had plenty of game time in League 1/Championship over the years before he's naturally filtered down to his level at Highland League.

I have no problem with OFW holding out until he gets a contract he feels is right for him. However, until then, he has a contract with us and it is reasonable to expect him to play for us if the manager asks him to.  If he keeps saying he's picked up a niggle in training the day before a game then increasingly other clubs are not going to offer him a new contract. His behaviour is bizarre and self destructive. 

• Agree 5

3 hours ago, ferben1994 said:

Pretty sure I read at the time either on here or local rags that the "tens of thousands he brought us" was paid back largely to him as a bonus for re-signing?

Could be totally wrong but it's in the back of my mind somewhere.

Anyway point is does he want to be a professional footballer  or a gardening leave goalkeeper/painter.

Football is a short career and u would hope he isn't deliberately turning down offers elsewhere to sit on his erse here.

That's a good point & one I tried to get across - if OFW has ambitions to play at a high level (e.g.renain in the Welsh squad), he really needs to be playing regularly, which he clearly isn't going to do with us.

If he wants to sit and get paid for a season with us, well, that's his prerogative, but it's hardly going to do his career much good - he isn't that old & would realistically expect to have a good few years left to play yet.

8 hours ago, jingsmonty said:

Robbo categoricaly stated that he has TURNED DOWN OFFERS FROM OTHER CLUBS - how can you justify that? Including an offer from the USA, I believe (apparently that's what he'd like to do).

Unless he gets a club in MLS which I think is unlikely given that the club in question would have to use up an international roster spot and there is already a glut of good keepers in MLS, you are talking about USL or NASL. No way the wages would be anywhere near what he is on now in those leagues. 

MLS Wages (GK) http://www.spotrac.com/mls/rankings/guaranteed/goalkeeper/

14 hours ago, Scotty said:

Unless he gets a club in MLS which I think is unlikely given that the club in question would have to use up an international roster spot and there is already a glut of good keepers in MLS, you are talking about USL or NASL. No way the wages would be anywhere near what he is on now in those leagues. 

MLS Wages (GK) http://www.spotrac.com/mls/rankings/guaranteed/goalkeeper/

I'm sure, given the money that's floating around English football, that he would get a good offer, even at, for example, league 1 level. 

Re the USA offer, I'm just going by what Robbo said at the open evening.

If OFW is injured, then we, of course, should be supporting him in recovering from that - I would say that's a contractual obligation on the club's part - however, he needs to do his bit too, especially if he has activated his release clause and wants to leave...

20 hours ago, jingsmonty said:

I can't see him playing OFW ahead of Ridgers.

If he's fit and Robbo concedes that he is staying at the club he will have no choice - Ridgers is honking but while OFW was just as bad last year he has at least over his career proved he has quality and can perform at the highest level - Ridgers has not. Both parties may have to eat humble pie but in the end if OFW does want to leave he needs to play and prove himself for offers either in Jan or next summer and Robbo if he wants out of the Championship needs his best players and if one is taking up a large part of that budget he has to play him to at least get him in the 'shop window' to offlead. 

Absolutely embarrassing folk complaining about OFW not leaving. He is under contract and if he doesn't receive an offer he fancies then quite right that he stays here. He had a decent first season, 2nd not so good but then he was playing through injuries. 

Yes, it's frustrating that we're paying him a large wage but then we did take in a large bonus for him for being at the Euros. Give the guy a break.

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Sir C the 3rd said:

Absolutely embarrassing folk complaining about OFW not leaving. He is under contract and if he doesn't receive an offer he fancies then quite right that he stays here. He had a decent first season, 2nd not so good but then he was playing through injuries. 

Yes, it's frustrating that we're paying him a large wage but then we did take in a large bonus for him for being at the Euros. Give the guy a break.

If he has triggered the "relegation" clause in his contract he should be training and making himself available for selection until he finds a club.

• Agree 3

48 minutes ago, Sir C the 3rd said:

What you on about. Most folk are complaining that if he's here  taking a wage he should be making himself available to play if required.