Transfer in and outs

ferben1994

4 hours ago, Sir C the 3rd said:

He's injured is he not?

I think he is sometimes :wink: might be a bit like some guys I used to know who would have a sore back when there was work to be done :lol:

45 minutes ago, tm4tj said:

Looks like some have forgotten how pi$$ poor he was last season.

I think last season he often played when he was injured and that resulted in some performances below the level you would normally expect from him.  Don't forget that he started the season well and featured well in the POTY polls.  I certainly wouldn't criticise him for last year, but this year is quite a different matter. 

On 24/08/2017 at 9:51 AM, RiG said:

There was rumoured interest in Ross County youngster Greg Morrison but, as mentioned above, this move looks like it is off.

Looks like we'll still get to see what this kid is capable of as he is signing for Dumbarton on loan.

15 minutes ago, Yngwie said:

The real issue is not so much the goalkeeping, it's that if he decides to just sit out his contract it prevents us bringing in 2 or 3 decent players.

Exactly...would be best for the club AND OFW if he moved on - as I said before, I can't see Wales picking him if he's not pkaying at all .

1 hour ago, Renegade said:

If we want to be promoted we need to be playing our best players.  Even a crocked, handcuffed, stoned Fon Williams would be better than Ridgers!

Not sure about that - he is hardly going to have endeared himselves to his team mates lately. Has he trained with the new guys much, for example? He probably is a better keeper than Ridgers (that's debateable), but would he fit into the team that Robbo is trying to build just now? Ridgers is an integral part of that.

Personally, I'd rather Cammy MacKay was Ridgers backup (or vice versa)

• Confused 1

26 minutes ago, Yngwie said:

The real issue is not so much the goalkeeping, it's that if he decides to just sit out his contract it prevents us bringing in 2 or 3 decent players.

Maybe he is not 'tied' to a contract anymore given he triggered a release clause with us being relegated. Maybe the transfer window isn't that relevant for the OFW situation. But then again I'm not sure. All in all, it's not good for us or him the way things are at the moment. 

4 minutes ago, Renegade said:

It isn't.  It really isn't.  Ridgers is absolutely dire.  Our worst keeper since Malkowski.

Harsh...!! Although I'm not convinced about Ridgers either, in fairness. 

Like I said before, I'd like to see Cammy MacKay push Ridgers for the jersey...I really can't see OFW playing for us again...but, who knows.

13 minutes ago, Caman said:

Maybe he is not 'tied' to a contract anymore given he triggered a release clause with us being relegated. Maybe the transfer window isn't that relevant for the OFW situation.

He is entitled to leave on a free, but until that happens we have to keep paying him. So since the end of last season, I would think we've paid him about £25,000 whilst he basically works on his latest painting. That's us one player down already.

I fear that he knows what a financial liability he is to the club and might be sitting tight in the hope of a 5 figure pay off, before accepting one of the contract offers he's had.

• Agree 2

A very interesting move down South with Marvin Johnston moving from Oxford to Middlesbrough for an undisclosed fee thought to be somewhere between £2-3million. The interesting bit is that when Motherwell sold Johnson to Oxford they apparently managed to include a 25% sell on clause.  That means that Motherwell will now get up to £750,000 in their coffers for a player who isn't on their books.  That is good business.

With our fan base, we are always going to have to accept that when players develop here they will be looking to move on.  It should perhaps be a policy for the Board to look to include a sizeable sell on clause when selling younger players with the potential to develop further.

13 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

A pity but a sad reality that on transfer deadline day we are discussing a player who will probably never play for us again rather than acquiring one or two new faces to enhance our prospects of promotion.

I agree, but it appears there will be no more business  with the OFW saga being one of the reasons for this. 

17 minutes ago, DoofersDad said:

A very interesting move down South with Marvin Johnston moving from Oxford to Middlesbrough for an undisclosed fee thought to be somewhere between £2-3million. The interesting bit is that when Motherwell sold Johnson to Oxford they apparently managed to include a 25% sell on clause.  That means that Motherwell will now get up to £750,000 in their coffers for a player who isn't on their books.  That is good business.

With our fan base, we are always going to have to accept that when players develop here they will be looking to move on.  It should perhaps be a policy for the Board to look to include a sizeable sell on clause when selling younger players with the potential to develop further.

You are right DD I hope that was done when we sold Ryan Christie to Celtic as I think he will go on much further in his career but I don't think that would have been done.

1 hour ago, IBM said:

You are right DD I hope that was done when we sold Ryan Christie to Celtic as I think he will go on much further in his career but I don't think that would have been done.

I believe that there is such a clause but that it is nowhere near the 25% that Motherwell negotiated.

2 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

I believe that there is such a clause but that it is nowhere near the 25% that Motherwell negotiated.

that's because Muversmell have people who know the football business and we have those who think they do.