Potential Rule Changes

Rasczak

Just read a story on the BBC site about some potential rule changes being discussed by IFAB, and wondered what people thought of them. Some of the big headlines are changing to 30 minute halves, with the clock stopping when the ball is out of play, stopping rebounds from penalties, ie make it the same as a penalty shoot out, and it must go in from the first strike, and allowing the ref to award a goal if one is clearly prevented by a handball.

There is a PDF document, also linked in the article, showing the full proposals and whether the could be implemented straight away, just issuing guidance on protocols, could be experimented with, or would need rule changes.

The ones that I like, they are both pet peeves for me anyway, are the proposal to make goal kicks be taken from the side the ball went out, (I am sure that it was that way years ago anyway), and that a half can only be ended when the ball is out of play. Means that as long as you keep the ball live you can keep attacking to get the equaliser or winner, and no worries about the whistle blowing as the cross is delivered.

Not so sure on the penalty one, it stops imaginative penalty taking.

I do not like the thought of 30 minute halves it would not be worth all the travel at times to watch an hour of football, the players get paid enough for the time we get just now!

But IBM --you surely go to see the current actual football times now and the rest is time wasted overall. So why not just change the rules for a try-out?

I reviewed all the new rules and, yes, they are extensive but it's clear that a lot of thought has already gone into what they think needs changing and I think it may well be a welcome step in the right direction and worth a try.

8 hours ago, IBM said:

I do not like the thought of 30 minute halves it would not be worth all the travel at times to watch an hour of football, the players get paid enough for the time we get just now!

Apparently there is typically only 60 mins of actual playing time at the moment so the game time would be the same. The benefit is that there would be no point time wasting.

• Agree 1