Caley Jags 2017/18 squad + changes in/out

Council Juice

Started a little squad roster with ins and outs from the season past. There's gonna be a fair bit of movement I think. This might help keep track

Any help noting confirmed signings in the comments and I'll edit the post to suit. Please avoid idle gossip and rumours. Just definite inward bound (contract length if possible) and departures (Destination). Also any up to date information on those I've put ??? next to would be appreciated as well.

I have noted there is a transfers in and out thread but this is more of a squad list, which will take those into account.

Total (Including Esson as player and former under 20s) GK - 5, DF - 7, MF - 8, FW - 4

• John "Robbo" Robertson – Manager

Signed until the end of season (2019-20):

• Mark Rodgers - GK

• Charlie Trafford - CM

• Carl Tremarco - LB

• Coll Donaldson - CB

Signed until the end of season (2018-19):

• Gary Warren - CB (Club Captain)

• Owain Fon Williams - GK

• Liam Polworth - CM

• C Seedorf - RB

• Riccardo Calder - LB/LW

• Zachary Elbouzedi - RW/LW

• Joe Chalmers - TBC

• Felitciano Zschusschen - FW

• Nathan Austin - FW - contract length tbc

Signed until the end of next season (2017-18):

• Brian Rice - Assistant Manager

• Ryan Esson – GK coach/ player - GK

• Aaron Doran - LW

• Iain Vigurs - CM 

• Jake Mulraney - RW

• Brad Mckay - CB

• Cammy Mackay - GK

John Baird - FW

• George Oakley - FW

• Connor Bell - FW

• Matthew Elsdon - 6 month loan deal from Middlesborough, not extended - CB

• Alex Cooper - 6 month deal until January 2018 - FW

Youth players with first team squadU20’s squad additions:

• Andrew MacRae - FW - 19

• Ryan McRitchie - DF - 18

• Mitchell Foy - FW - 17

• Kier Smith - MF - 18

• Liam MacDonald - MF - 17

Currently on loan:

Stephen Foster - GK (Nairn County)

Daniel Hoban - GK (Brora Rangers)

Aidan Wilson - MF (Wick Academy)

Alasdair Stark - DF (Wick Acacemy)

Departures

• David Raven - out of contract. End of an era.

• Ross Draper - joined Ross County for undisclosed 6 figure fee

Scott Boden - contract terminated early to allow move, signed for Wrexham. Free transfer.

• Greg Tansey - End of contract. Signed for Aberdeen on free transfer.

• Josh Meekings - Out of contract. Signed for Dundee on free transfer. 

• Lewis Horner - Out of contract. Signed for Blyth Spartans on free transfer. 

•  Kevin McNaughton - out of contract. Released. Announced playing retirement.

Billy King-  end of loan, signed for Dundee United.

• Ali Sutherland - released Jan 2017, signed for Elgin City on free transfer.

Jason Brown - out of contract and released, signed for Peterhead on free transfer.

• Alex Fisher - Out of contract. Signed for Motherwell on free transfer.

• Larnell Cole - end of loan, appears to be free agent.

• Dean Ebbe - Option for extension not utilised - released

• Henri Anier - Option for extension not utilised - released, signed for Lahti on free transfer. 

• Louis Laing - out of contract and released, signed for Hartlepool United on free transfer.

• Jamie McCart - end of loan, returned to Celtic.

• Billy Mckay-  end of loan, signed for Ross County

Edited by Council Juice
Updates

Thinking Aaron Doran could be a key players for us this season(if he stays fit) any word of him returning to fitness etc?  Skillfull players like him and Mulraney could be important.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, caley100 said:

Thinking Aaron Doran could be a key players for us this season(if he stays fit) any word of him returning to fitness etc?  Skillfull players like him and Mulraney could be important.

Mulraney certainly has pace. Yet to see much evidence that he is particularly skilful. Wholly agree with what you say about Doran, if fit, he could be very effective for us this season.

• Agree 1

On 24/06/2017 at 10:44 AM, SeanSelkirk said:

Brad Mackay still here, Ali Sutherland was released 31st January

Thanks for the update. Any idea of Mackay contract length?

Bit of a shame that I can't edit the original post after a certain amount of time after posting. 

Was hoping to edit the first post as changes came in rather than continously copying pasting and editing little bits.

On 6/25/2017 at 8:47 AM, iamthecaptain1 said:

Thanks for the update. Any idea of Mackay contract length?

Bit of a shame that I can't edit the original post after a certain amount of time after posting. 

Was hoping to edit the first post as changes came in rather than continously copying pasting and editing little bits.

try now. I have set an over-ride on your permissions to allow you to edit past the default 300 minutes. I will leave the default in place but anyone else who is maintaining a thread like this can also have the same over-ride applied ... just let me know. 

• Agree 1

All getting a bit tight to bring in new players before the round of friendlies starts. Gives me no confidence to go and renew my ST.

BTW I heard weeks ago that Kevin McNaughton would be expected to sign for a club in the Dundee-Angus area. Apparently he's been getting a new house built near Forfar.

18 hours ago, Row S said:

All getting a bit tight to bring in new players before the round of friendlies starts. Gives me no confidence to go and renew my ST.

BTW I heard weeks ago that Kevin McNaughton would be expected to sign for a club in the Dundee-Angus area. Apparently he's been getting a new house built near Forfar.

I imagine that we won't start making a great deal of signings until the 1st of July once all contracts have expired elsewhere. Though I'd expect we'll take a number of players on trial as we get closer to pre-season games. It's likely Robbo will want to see them in action rather than just the general fitness training the players would be primarily be doing in the first couple of weeks of pre season.

McNaughton was offered a new deal by Foran. The offer was put on hold when he left and Kevin was left sitting on his thumbs. Then when Robbo came in he decided that the money would be better spent elsewhere. Not ideal for the player but the club has to let the new manager make these decisions so that he can build his squad. Shame to lose Laing as well though.

On 29/06/2017 at 3:31 PM, bigman said:

In the short time i saw McNaughton play I thought he was mach better footballer than most at the back. Read the games well

Trouble being the "short time you seen him play". His Achilles injury wasn't the first injury he'd had in recent years and as a result he hadn't played much football. Having him on the books in the championship might have been seen as a pricey risk, despite his ability and experience.

• Agree 2

35 minutes ago, Roy Mackenzie said:

As far as I aware, there are currently 5 goalkeepers on the books.

Would assume that OFW will be departing shortly (if this wasn't imminent, wouldn't have thought that Ridgers would have been signed) - with Esson concentrating on coaching. Would leave Ridgers, MacKay & Hoban - presumably MacKay or Hoban will go out on loan somewhere?

OFW has removed all mention of ICT from his Twitter account. Think that sums it up. He apparently had a release clause if we got relegated. Don't think we'll get any cash for him, but losing one of the high earners is a positive, although if Wales get to and did ok at Russia 2018 might have got a fair wad again!! Too much of a gamble that though.

Ridgers seems a safe enough pair of hands. As he played for County for a bit maybe he grew a sixth finger to fit in there lol

:crazy:

Edited by Guest

I don't think we'd have brought Ridgers in if OFW wasn't moving on. Even if he wasn't at his best last season OFW would still be a top keeper for the Championship and there'd be no need for signing someone. He'll be on a decent wage so we can hopefully reinvest it elsewhere even if we don't get a fee.

In hindsight it might have been better to cash in on OFW after the Euros last year and kept big Dean Brill as no1 who was always more commanding anyway. 

I imagine Ridgers will be number 1 next season backed up by Mackay or Hoban, with the other being loaned out. Esson will be coach but registered as a player as so that the loanee doesn't need to be recalled/ we're not left with 2 rookies if an injury was to come about.

Pity over McNaughton. Very good player, oozing experience, BUT, --too pricey for his age and injury history.Conclusion? Correct to move him on probably. Robbo needs to rebuild for the future. Meaning he has to introduce players who will have a longer future along with staying ability. IMHO.

The move opens up the door for lads with more playing life in them. Younger players  also recover from injuries more quickly. 

• Agree 3

Didn't realise that Ridgers had signed a 3 year deal. I wouldn't have thought we'd be handing out any long deals out in the championship but it looks like he's the choice to make the goalkeeper position his and settled.

“To be able to move here on a three-year deal is massive. It gives me the opportunity to focus fully on football." - Press and Journal article. 

C. Seedorf - 2 Year deal

Plus 

Riccardo Calder -  2 year deal and Matty Elsdon on a season long loan from Middlesbrough. (6 Months with option to extend)

Edited by Council Juice