Watering Holes updates

Feck managerial appointments, feck boot room staff changes, feck player ins and outs and feck discussion about playing systems and styles. We need decisions about watering holes to frequent on our travels. The Stand Bar at Dumfries has gone, the Elizebethan has gone, the bar on top of the Hill at Livi is now a Feckin Eatery, can we ever trust the Alamo catering again, Westfield is a Feckin DRY zone and we may as well hide a carry out in the Feckin hedge at Brechin. Is the Norseman still there ? Where do you have a swally in Rockville ? At least we have a choice in Dungdee.

We need to make decisions NOW, we need local knowledge - and I am to public houses whatt Vasella was to lower league players. But we need nominations,  reviews and serious debate. Perhaps Forfar watering holes may have to be prioritised :cheer01:

Edited by IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER
missed word
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

Feck managerial appointments, feck boot room staff changes, feck player ins and outs and feck discussion about playing systems and styles. We need decisions about watering holes to frequent on our travels. The Stand Bar at Dumfries has gone, the Elizebethan has gone, the bar on top of the Hill at Livi is now a Feckin Eatery, can we ever trust the Alamo catering again, Westfield is a Feckin zone and we may as well hide a carry out in the Feckin hedge at Brechin. Is the Norseman still there ? Where do you have a swally in Rockville ? At least we have a choice in Dungdee.

We need to make decisions NOW, we need local knowledge - and I am to public houses whatt Vasella was to lower league players. But we need nominations,  reviews and serious debate. Perhaps Forfar watering holes may have to be prioritised :cheer01:

Aw thats upset my day!! No stand bar in Dumfries :cry:

Elizabethan is still there IHE! It's just been updated inside that's all. 

There's also the Commercial Inn, East Port Bar, two Wotherspoons in the centre of town --- 15 mins walk from EEP. Post match you're very welcome to join us in Legends too. 

Ty Kingsmill it's good to be back.

I'm happy to say I'm still providing the DAFC.net Live Updates (home page - just click on link) for ALL supporters to read; please also feel free to post on our football forum. Healthy discussions are always welcome. 

I've also started a blog --- get me, a blogger lol - and there's a few football related poems on it --- Buffysbuns.wordpress.com  

Happy to meet up with ye all at EEP, and I'm champing at the bit to come up the road and spend some time in the Sneck! 

Hope you're all well. 

Buff xx 

• Agree 4

2 hours ago, TheMantis said:

Wait till she sees how podgy and middle aged Yngwie looks.

Whaaaat? I always he would be forever David Beckham-esque! 

• Agree 1

DumbartonThere is a bar located at the ground but this is for home fans only. Popular with away supporters is the nearby Rock Bowling Club. This is situated a little further down the road from the ground, opposite the entrance to the castle. A bit further away is the Stags Head, which is situated opposite the entrance to East Dumbarton station. It is a good sized bar, with TV's and a pool table. (Source: footballgroundguide dot com)

I spent a summer living in Cardross near Dumbarton about 5 or 6 years ago, where I went to all of Dumbarton's home pre-season games. I also tried every pub within the close vicinity of the ground and they were all bear pits :laugh: 

Get a feckin room and get back on topic. As fer Livingston I have been in the Paraffin Lamp before when Mrs and Miss IHE have had Retail Therapy. Good Old Fashioned boozer, just above Asda, Sky Sports, good ale and bookies on either side. Probably 10 minutes from the ground.

• Agree 1

I really don't know what to do, I am nor phased by relegation, In England I saw plenty with my boyhood team " Bury" , the other side there were plenty of promotions, what goes up sometimes goes down syndrome. The last time I saw Bury play was against Bournemouth in a league two play off match. Now look at Bournemouth?. Life goes on. My years watching Calley have not been all rosie but interesting. I have never seen a Scottish football match outside the top floght.  I am not sure if to buy another season ticket. I will be 74 on the 1st of August , my fight against cancer I seem to have won, but my wife says I am not fit to  drive up and down the A9 at night.  On Saturdays my wife drives she drops me off at the ground and picks me up after the game. This last year I have not enjoyed the games much. I suspect we will hold our own in the lower league and the games will be less intense. 

Thinking back to my life watching football times have changed dramatically, my first game was an away game at Bramhall lane Sheffield in 1949, I only remember it because it was bonfire night, there were no motorways then and as the coach travelled over the Yorkshire moors to Bury, I remember fires all over the place, The coach was full ofr "old" men, no replica shirts in those days, but guys who worked 12 hour days In Cotton mills who moaned about the players conceding 4 goals, the match ended in a 4  4 draw. My next memory was Bury lacing Southampton 8.2 at Gigg lane.  Bury was virtually the first club in the North of England to install floodlights, I can also  remember an inaugural match against Vienna  Rapid. Gates used to be getting on for 20,000 in those days.  Disaster came around 1959 when the Shaker's dropped into the 3rd Division North. They were in the main much better than the other teams, but promotion was limited to one club. Bury did not get promotion that year as a formidable Scunthorpe team was far too powerful. The reorganisation of football and the emergence ot a national 3rd division did the trick, as Bury with an array of Scotsmen and the new manager " Bob Stokoe", swept all before the and they went back to the 2nd tier , with a record points win, with every member of the 5 man forward line scoring at least 20 goals.

At this stage my hard drive failed I had to quickly save and rejoin, before I could check the spelling in my diatribe which I was writing because I cant sleep.

My point is do I stop watching football >? , or do I risk life and Limb driving to a Inverness . The strange thing is it is easier to go to away games because I just catch the coach in Aviemore.

Maybe I should just go to the airport  and fly to Manchester and see my last game at my beloved Gigg Lane. and call it a day/

. I usually sell a lot of books over the week-end so I will be busy anyway.

I am now signed up for walking football on Sunday mornings. I was surprised to find I still have a powerful shot in both right and left sides

. I have a problem with balance though and I landed on my knees when I fell off the gazebo roof. recently  some ex firefighter I am?

Edited by Laurence
  • Agree 6

With a lifelong passion for the game and history what could we do to help. 

I spent years driving my father to games at caley as the little things became more important . He didnt go to every game but when he did it was the highlight of his month. 

Where you coming from? 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Moogthurso said:

With a lifelong passion for the game and history what could we do to help. 

I spent years driving my father to games at caley as the little things became more important . He didnt go to every game but when he did it was the highlight of his month. 

Where you coming from? 

Great suggestion moog. I seem to recall previously that Laurence mentioned Kingussie Newtonmore area but don't quote me on that

#getlaurencetothegame

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, jagster said:

Great suggestion moog. I seem to recall previously that Laurence mentioned Kingussie Newtonmore area but don't quote me on that

#getlaurencetothegame

I don't think he'll mind if I tell you it's Boat of Garten.

3 hours ago, TheMantis said:

I don't think he'll mind if I tell you it's Boat of Garten.

I wonder if anyone thought of running the, where 2 today bus, I believe there's good support in Aviemore, Carrbridge, Dulnain Bridge and the Boat and would hopefully feel like an away day at home.

I think it was priced at only 60 or 70 ppmile including fuel, a couple of seasons ago for the 16 seater.

http://www.ct4u.co.uk/services/vehicle-hire.aspx

There must be enough support in that area to make it work. And if not start getting the newton avie and king kids up on freebies tickets to fill it?

Maybe looking  to bring more to home games by getting collective transport would be better than more going to away games?