Sign in to follow this  
Moogthurso

The Ian Vigurs enigma

Recommended Posts

CableGuy    129
On 7/17/2017 at 11:22 AM, old caley girl said:

I sponsor Iain and can catagorically state this is nonsence. I think he is a quiet unassuming guy and maybe not as ourgoing as some. He is very polite and chatty and certainly not one of first to leave. 

Some real keyboard warrior personal opinions going on in this thread and its not nice. 

I'm really pleased that you have found a much different experience with him, however let me be the first to point out to you that a paid Sponsor night and a somewhat non obligatory kids meet and greet is hugely different. Of all the times I have been to these,  he is the one player I find very difficult to get a picture with or a moment to speak to. Now, yes I totally agree with you, maybe it's purely down to being "quiet and unassuming and not outgoing" I have no problem with that, I appreciate not everyone is comfortable at these types of events, however his attitude on the pitch is publicly NOT "quiet and unassuming" and as far as first impressions go, its increasingly difficult to escape from. It might interest you to know that last season I actually talked my son into getting "Vigurs 11" on his new home strip, as believe it or not I rate him as a player very highly, and where most of my friends were getting Tansey, Draper, Warren etc I genuinely believed Vigurs deserved a bit of support. Lastly you make reference to "personal opinions" which is interesting given that you have publicly berated mine as "noncence" (sp) ...I however will refrain from doing the same to yours as I have no way, or desire to disprove or pour scorn on yours 

Edited by CableGuy
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kingsmills    3,284
10 minutes ago, CableGuy said:

I'm really pleased that you have found a much different experience with him, however let me be the first to point out to you that a paid Sponsor night and a somewhat non obligatory kids meet and greet is hugely different. Of all the times I have been to these,  he is the one player I find very difficult to get a picture with or a moment to speak to. Now, yes I totally agree with you, maybe it's purely down to being "quiet and unassuming and not outgoing" I have no problem with that, I appreciate not everyone is comfortable at these types of events, however his attitude on the pitch is publicly NOT "quiet and unassuming" and as far as first impressions go, its increasingly difficult to escape from. It might interest you to know that last season I actually talked my son into getting "Vigurs 11" on his new home strip, as believe it or not I rate him as a player very highly, and where most of my friends were getting Tansey, Draper, Warren etc I genuinely believed Vigurs deserved a bit of support. Lastly you make reference to "personal opinions" which is interesting given that you have publicly berated mine as "noncence" (sp) ...I however will refrain from doing the same to yours as I have no way, or desire to disprove or pour scorn on yours 

OCG did not 'berate' you she simply disagreed with you which is her prerogative and differences of opinion, respectfully stated, is what these fora are all about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CableGuy    129
6 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

OCG did not 'berate' you she simply disagreed with you which is her prerogative and differences of opinion, respectfully stated, is what these fora are all about.

I have no issue with disagreement or differences of opinion, but to label my own opinion and experience as "nonsense" is not very respectfully stated. 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+Moogthurso    62

Really positive discussion turning into a bit of a disagreement . 

The whole point of the thread was to bring people together to discuss positively facts and measured statements of Iains performance and not go into the i like/dont like debate that we seem able to sustain on any subject on these forums.  Please look back to the starting point of the discussion and go forward in that spirit. 

Edited by Moogthurso

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lets face it - Polworth has more of an opportunity to progress than Vigurs does. Vigurs is coming to the end of his career whilst Polworth is peaking. At Championship level Vigurs' experience and undoubted skill level should shine through - even if it is limited to the odd goal and the execution of at least one killer pass per game. Polworth, to me, has to be played in a more effective, preferred position and the bottom line is that - if he does not shine in the Championship - then he aint going to progress at all.

Deja Vu RIG ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
forresjags    232

Iain Vigurs is undoubtedly one if not the most talented players at the club, who would sooner pass the ball 30 meters than run 30 meters that is his strengths. Last season the individual criticism on here was pretty horrific when collectively the team performance was utter sh*te , many used to take great delight in picking to pieces his performance and focusing on his errors.

Not all players need to charge around for 90 minutes closing down space to prove their worth, get him on the ball and he will create chances.      

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+jingsmonty    197
On 19/07/2017 at 3:56 PM, Ronaldo said:

It could seen as a positive that he is still with us and hasn't jumped ship now we are playing at a lower level?

I'd agree with that - I can rember him giving a pre-game nterview to caleyjags TV towards the end of last season & he was asked if he would stay or leave if we got relegated - his answer was along the lines of "I'll stay if the club wants me" - didn't strike me as the sort of answer a big headed money grabber would give!

As I said before, I'm hopeful that Robbo will get the best out of Vigurs..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Caman    126

Vigurs had a good match today and was being positive all the time. Not impressed by those slagging him off which was undeserved. Albeit it was only a couple of numpties. Support our team, don't slag individuals off when it is not justified. Rant over. :ictscarf:

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+IBM    592
5 minutes ago, Caman said:

Vigurs had a good match today and was being positive all the time. Not impressed by those slagging him off which was undeserved. Albeit it was only a couple of numpties. Support our team, don't slag individuals off when it is not justified. Rant over. :ictscarf:

Glad to hear that I was one that was far from impressed with him last season lets hope he keeps up the good performance as we are going to need it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TheMantis    977
8 hours ago, Caman said:

Vigurs had a good match today and was being positive all the time. Not impressed by those slagging him off which was undeserved. Albeit it was only a couple of numpties. Support our team, don't slag individuals off when it is not justified. Rant over. :ictscarf:

A few shouts coming from the shelter opposite the stand, can't understand some people. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the first 45 minutes Vigurs was basically majestic, a class above every other player on the pitch. He faded in the second but when we had to play football against the wind he stood out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RiG    2,208

Seems to be some Twitter chat that Vigurs was getting some abuse off some fans yesterday and he responded with the wanker sign. No idea how true this is as the account that mentioned it has a propensity for almost seismic shifts in opinions and details about incidents so it might be worth taking with a pinch of salt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Caman    126
1 hour ago, RiG said:

Seems to be some Twitter chat that Vigurs was getting some abuse off some fans yesterday and he responded with the ****** sign. No idea how true this is as the account that mentioned it has a propensity for almost seismic shifts in opinions and details about incidents so it might be worth taking with a pinch of salt.

Didn't see Vigurs react, but if he made the ****** sign at those who were slagging them, they deserved it. I know he shouldn't react, but he is human. Those slagging him were morons/not true fans and can stay away as far as I am concerned. 

Mantis is right in where the chants were coming from because that is where I was standing. 

To end on a positive note, nice Bridie and decent price. 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
old caley girl    1,141
8 minutes ago, Caman said:

Didn't see Vigurs react, but if he made the ****** sign at those who were slagging them, they deserved it. I know he shouldn't react, but he is human. Those slagging him were morons/not true fans and can stay away as far as I am concerned. 

Mantis is right in where the chants were coming from because that is where I was standing. 

To end on a positive note, nice Bridie and decent price. 

Finding it quite funny on twitter that there seems to be a mistaken view that players are expected to suck up any abuse offered but then they are shocked when they snap back!!! 

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hiro    214

Bump!

Has Robbo solved this? Our best player in the few games to date this season and the signing of Trafford also won't do any harm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+jingsmonty    197
On 21/07/2017 at 3:20 PM, jingsmonty said:

I'd agree with that - I can rember him giving a pre-game nterview to caleyjags TV towards the end of last season & he was asked if he would stay or leave if we got relegated - his answer was along the lines of "I'll stay if the club wants me" - didn't strike me as the sort of answer a big headed money grabber would give!

As I said before, I'm hopeful that Robbo will get the best out of Vigurs..

As per my earlier post, Robbo does indeed to be getting the best out of Vigurs - he has, I feel, been one of (if not THE) best players so far this season....

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Robert    165

I felt he got some unjustified stick last season.

Hopefully his early form continues and he guides us up the league.

My only criticism is that he can talk himself into trouble, as he did against Morton, hopefully that does not happen too often.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+IBM    592

He got a lot of stick last season along with most of the team because they were sh1te. Although he is not my favourite player I am delighted he has improved again this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+jingsmonty    197
8 hours ago, Robert said:

I felt he got some unjustified stick last season.

Hopefully his early form continues and he guides us up the league.

My only criticism is that he can talk himself into trouble, as he did against Morton, hopefully that does not happen too often.

Yeah, that's something that Robbo mentioned as well - but you certainly couldn't accuse Vigurs of not caring..!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
caleyboy    262

He has what it takes in his locker to become our most valuable asset. His tongue could however prevent this.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Scarlet Pimple    751

Right!

It sounds as if he has been more or less carrying the team this season. And wants to stay!  We should count our good luck in all of this.

Some younger fans must be morons because, even if in the distant past he possibly may have merited some criticism , please read my above comments again.

Ian Vigurs is no different to anyone else. He' s human and  needs support so must be  praised when he is effective and dynamic. ESPECIALLY since he has stayed loyal to our team for so long.:clapoverhead:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.