Neymar

Gringo

1 hour ago, Gringo said:

I find this utterly disgusting. How on earth is this football? The game I love has gone bonkers.

Neymar

You are right the way money is being spent on players it is heading the same way as the banks!

The Neymar transfer probably has more to do with the Qataris making a political statement than the general financing of football.  But, yes, it is disgusting.  Of course, the more general trend in football financing is driven in a large part by the consumers.  If consumers didn't pay Sky and BT large amounts of money to watch these players and if the consumers weren't sucked into buying the vastly over-priced and over hyped "must have" branded products which are advertised by these broadcasters then there wouldn't be that sort of money around to pay the top players such obscene amounts.  If instead, people supported their local sides, they may not see as much quality play but they would get something far more worthwhile with the emotional engagement with the club and the community around it.  With money distributed more evenly, then far more hard working professional players would be able to make a living from the game.  By our own consumer choice we create the very inequalities we so deplore. 

• Agree 2

Sadly TV money & UEFA have killed the game. The closed shop of the Champions League and vast TV money is creating this market and as said if the consumer stops paying then where will it all go, people are turning off in droves as the CL becomes predictable and boring with the same teams playing year on year - how many times over the last 10 years have Arsenal played Barca or Bayern for arguments sake. 

PSG have an average crowd of around 45k per year, that's less than even Rangers or Celtic where 20 years ago top players moved for money that even these clubs can afford (ignoring EBT's) to compete for - Cadete, van Hooidonk, di Canio, van Bronkhorst, Gazza etc etc - now the top countries with the TV money are spending like crazy and those on the outside are scraping around to survive. Teams like Rosenberg, Copenhage, Ajax, Porto who are teams that have history in the CL and won their leagues are now punted in favour of a 4th place from Spain, Germany, England or Italy - its a corrupt monopoly that's killing the game slowly.

• Agree 1

TV has a lot to answer for in this country but I don't think the Neymar deal is in their court. It's as DoofersDad says it's "the Qataris making a political statement"

For the record I ditched Sky Sports a few years ago when they raised their rates. 

With one or two exceptions Neymar is probably  as good as it gets in a footballer .  I can see where he is coming from . I would love to see him play live if I ever could get the chance. Worth a trip to  a big City in the UK if I could get a ticket.

• 2 months later...
On 04/08/2017 at 8:55 AM, Gringo said:

TV has a lot to answer for in this country but I don't think the Neymar deal is in their court. It's as DoofersDad says it's "the Qataris making a political statement"

For the record I ditched Sky Sports a few years ago when they raised their rates. 

Good on you Gringo the only way to beat this is to deny the beast and its disgusting owner, your money, I ditched Sky years ago, and in fact I ditched TV three years ago nothing but propaganda, lies and immorality. As a matter of interest, before Rome fell the highest paid people were their charioteers and their cooks were celebrities, ring any bells?