Scotty

Remember that the official figure is not the number who actually attend but the number of tickets sold.  Season ticket holders are deemed to be there even if they are not and a good few will have been away on holiday .  If it looked as though there were less people in the stands than the official attendance, that will be because there were.  On the other hand, during the first half I noticed a grumpy looking guy sloping off into the main stand and I don't think he had bought a ticket!

Serious question :- Can you still get in for nothing at half time, like when I visited Telford Street as a wee boy?:laugh:

The team is like a tower. Build it with a strong foundation. i.e.  from the back and then concentrate on the top part, being the forward line.

A team  can't win if they can't score against us, and this strategy also gives heart and encouragement to the  forwards who can concentrate on developing their moves up front. Just a thought.

Very commendable Scarlet, however the defense only have to have one wee mistake, or be the victim of a shyte decision ( as in Thompson  yesterday) and if we have players who are not good enough to score in this league then we on a slippery slope no matter how good our defense is.

To win we need goals.

Anyway, just saw the goal (pen) from yesterday, by god humfback McMullan certainly fooled Thompson ( which is not difficult i may add) He has got to be one of the most infuriating ref's there is in Scotland.  

Dee utd were pretty cynical , I don't Like them or their fans, some of whom had a mini riot in the Raigmore before the game, Robbo will have to sort out the goal scoring problem soon.

• Agree 1

Agree with most of what has been said by other posters and a lot of positives to take from the game. Some major negatives as well though. Lack of a cutting edge is costing us at the moment as both Utd and Falkirk were there for the taking if we had one. Defensively we are giving ourselves major problems with poor passing, poor decision making and total lack of anticipation at times. Only Raven for me gets a pass mark.

As for the actual game, thought Calder was excellent but wondered if Utd would try to take him out in the second half as they were pretty cynical with fouls and gamesmanship. If what DD says is true with Toshney "assaulting" Calder (couldn't see from where I was sitting), then it does not surprise me. From their last spell in the Premier league, Utd were on a par with Hamilton for their cynical play acting for fouls and our gullible referees always fall for it. So many Utd players going down yesterday as if seriously injured then up and running within seconds. As for the referee, he is nothing but an arrogant sod. He had no interaction with the players, was inconsistent with fouls and bookings (especially for Vigurs and McKay) and if he gives the United penalty, which he wasted no time in giving, then he had to give the one for the foul on Draper as well. Mulreany was taken down in the second half and there was a big shout for that but I could not see from where I was sitting if a clear penalty.

Disappointed to not get a win but promise is there but this has to start being fulfilled soon.

• Like 1

I was in quite a good position to see the Mulraney penalty shout and there was nothing in it - he fell over the ball.  I don't know if anyone else saw it, but while Toshney and Calder were down on the ground, Craig Thompson seemed to find the whole episode funny.  Standing over them while they received treatment with a big smile on his face.  

I have wondered this pre-season, that none of our strikers look like proper finishers.  We haven't seen much of Bell yet and Zschusschen looks a dud, but Baird and Oakley look more to be of the Gregory Tade/Graham Bayne breed - good players and hard workers, undoubtedly dangerous players but neither are out and out goalscorers.  I wouldn't expect either to get more than ten goals in the league this season.  In fact, I've thought already that Oakley might actually be more effective as a number ten.

Edited by Renegade

8 hours ago, DoofersDad said:

Remember that the official figure is not the number who actually attend but the number of tickets sold.  Season ticket holders are deemed to be there even if they are not and a good few will have been away on holiday .  If it looked as though there were less people in the stands than the official attendance, that will be because there were.  On the other hand, during the first half I noticed a grumpy looking guy sloping off into the main stand and I don't think he had bought a ticket!

It was me ... grumpy as we had lost a goal before i got in. 

I normally sneak in through the tunnel hidden by the puddle beside the stand . Surprised you noticed me. 

Disappointing result for us obviously. United didn't seem to threaten much unless it was on the back of an error by our defence, and there was a few of them, or a long ball over the top for McMullan to chase. He gave Elsdon a torrid time. We looked really shaky at the back throughout the game best exemplified by our poor defending for the United goal. Instead of booting the ball into touch Elsdon dallied on the touchline and McMullan nipped in and sprinted for goal. After a few ricochets in the box McMullan seized on the loose ball and a lunging Mckay challenge brought him down after he had dinked the ball over the ICT defender. A clear penalty and a stupid challenge to make. Easily converted by the United player.

After that United sat in for long periods challenging us to break them down whilst looking to hit on the break. Their best chance to grab a second game when another mix up in the ICT defence let in Stanton (I think) but with Ridgers sprawled on the ground and an open goal to aim for he lifted a shot over the bar.

Before and after this ICT dominated without ever really making Lewis work hard. We had plenty of "half chances" but our final ball or shot was lacking in any real quality. Whislt it was good to see us match United for long spells it was disappointing to see how little we created. As others have noted it's a similar story to the League Cup games we have witnessed so far.

Interesting to see Robbo abandon the 4-4-2 he had used for the League Cup games and go with a 4-1-4-1, Vigurs playing in front of the defence and Baird on the right. Some folk seem to be saying Polworth was playing on the wing. Didn't seem that way to me. Worth persevering for another game or two perhaps but maybe not with Baird in that slightly withdrawn role on the right side. Vigurs and Calder were our best players until the latter was wiped out by Toshney in the second half.

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, DoofersDad said:

Maybe we've adopted the old County technique of counting eyes instead of heads. :lol:

We don't seem to be too far off. A bit more defensive organisation and some cutting edge up top and we should be OK.  A goalscorer is however one of the hardest positions to fill and I think Denzil is long retired now. Even Paul Ritchie would do.... :wink:

It appears the club were very short sighted regarding Fisher and given his run of form towards the end of last season a new deal should have been a priority IMHO.

Alas, ifs and buts, that ship has sailed. Although I can't see any new strikers coming in unless a good opportunity presents itself via available player or loan. We've signed 3(Baird, Oakley and Zschusschen)  and have a few others who can play there like Bell.

Getting players, like Polworth, in their best position has to start happening soon though. He's never convinced as a winger although our last few managers seem to see him as one. If we're only playing the 2 centre mids it has to be Vigurs and Draper atm with Polworth of the bench. There's no point shoeing him on on the right wing just because he's one of the better players as it's not getting the performance required. Play a midfield 3 and allow 2 of Oakley, Bell or Mulraney to support Baird in free roles. Allow Draper or Polworth to attack through middle where possible. Get full backs forward. 

As I say, we don't appear to be too far off from what I can tell. I've not seen much of the new boys but I think given a few tweaks we could have a few decent players there. 

only really back to normal thinking now after another heavy weekend on the sauce in Inverness. Really disappointed we didn't at least take a point from that game. I felt we played all the football and were the much better side. . . . A little toothless up front though, also think the utd keeper commanded his box very well he was a big factor in their win. At first i thought the utd pen was a dive but after watching the video back i think it's safe to say the ref got the call right. One of the few he did get right, another awful referee performance which has become the norm for me watching games in the flesh in Scotland. If Craig Thomson is supposed to be one of Scottish footballs best then i am concerned as his display was amateur on Saturday. Just as bad as the refs in the Irish league. Vigurs certainly deserved the MOTM and i also think Raven had a very good game. Bar the result it was another cracking trip over and i already can't wait for the next one. I also walked through the right turnstile this time too :ohmy:

• Like 1