Worst summer in the clubs history

ictchris

42 minutes ago, bdu98196 said:

While I agree as I've been saying much of this already its probably not a surprise, these guys are directors and usually in any industry people that get to that level very rarely tell the truth or have much integrity, its about self preservation (lying to shareholders and media to make an organisation look to be performing better than it may be) or self promotion (look what I've done, the work I've won or what I've put in place mainly through lies and the analogy of once we have the money we will figure out how to deliver - usually as cheap as possible).

In my experience the opposite tends to be true, people who succeed in life and in running their own businesses are rarely liars, rip off merchants or untrustworthy. In my working life I've worked with and for pretty senior people in very large organisation and they tended to be straight down the line.

you do get liars and bullshitters in many organisations though. I think when people are out of their depth and don't know what they should be doing they often end up trying to cover for themselves by covering their arses and trying to deflect things.

• Agree 1

Appreciate the income from home gates has been not great over the years, but its been on a par with St J , Partick Ross C and better than Hamilton. All these clubs seem to be in much better financial shape than us so why is that? The extra revenue through our cup runs, top four finishes etc has slipped through our fingers some how and now we are at rock bottom, trying to haggle (and failing miserably) with Buckie Thistle.  We haven't paid a transfer fee in  years and have shopped at the arse end of English football while making absolutely nil investment in the stadium other when forced to by the SPL. 

What the feck has gone so badly wrong.      

8 minutes ago, ictchris said:

We can add lying about the Draper transfer to the list. Also, I see from the Courier that none of the transfer fee will go into players. What is it being spent on?

Its clear that the board lied when they initially said that we would be keeping the squad that finished last season, they lied when they said that we needed to maintain season ticket prices to ensure we could compete in this division, they lied when they said that Draper requested a transfer.

Why are the board constantly lying? People end up doing this when they are either completely out of their depth and incapable of carrying out their duties or they have a moral lacking that leads them to lie. Neither option is particularly attractive. I notice that John Robertson has also not backed the clubs standpoint, which is pretty telling.

Also, this is going to have a huge impact on our club. Players used to see a move to Inverness as a good thing for their career, the chance to compete at a high level and win a move elsewhere - Rooney to Birmingham, Watkins to Barnsley, McKay to Wigan etc. We had a good reputation. Now we are lying about our transfer dealings, hawking players around for transfer, refusing to play players if they don't move. Why would anyone come to us? I know for a fact that in Scotland our club is seen as an irrelevance at best, as useless and a joke at worst in the football media and playing circles.  What's happened this summer is going to have significant knock on affects to our clubs ability to survive.

There's lying and there's spin (probably two sides of the same coin). I am quite sure the club made the statement about keeping the squad that finished the season as some sort of morale boosting comment, but given the number of players that were on loan, at the end of contracts, or just plain *****, this was hardly going to be the case, and given the change in financial circumstances aka loss of TV money, I am surprised anyone saw this as other than playing lip service to fans hopes. I am sure the board hoped to keep the season ticket prices as they were but were caught out by the fans backlash. TBF the handling of Drapers transfer is very cack-handed, it is almost certain that they wanted RD to put in a transfer request to cover the fact that in the end he was going. Perhaps they are normal people who just want to be liked, but they would gain longer term respect if they grew some balls and just told fans the truth that some wont like.

There is nothing unusual in not playing players who might be transferred out.   

TBF we will only be relevant when we are beating the likes of Celtic, and Rangers and taking a top three SPL spot. I don't see why we are seen as a joke though, we got to the League Cup Final, won the Scottish Cup and were top six for three seasons and qualified for Europe. Are we anymore of a joke than Rangers or Hearts? Yep we are having a poor period but we'll get over it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

What a mountain over a molehill some folk are making over the Draper transfer!  What has happened here is that County put in an offer for him which the club were not willing to accept.  Draper knew about that.  If he had wanted to stay with ICT he would have said so and the club would have told County that he was not for sale.  That would have been the end of it.  However, Draper clearly was interested in a move to County as it would mean he could continue in the Premiership and would not have to move house.  Presumably it would also mean bigger wages.  Given Draper's interest in the move, County's initial bid will have been turned down but they would have been told that Draper was interested in moving and ICT would be willing to sell him if County were prepared to meet the club's valuation.  After at least one more rejected bid which Robertson thought would be County's final bid, County this week came up with an offer which ICT felt was a good offer ,  Robertson is quoted in the Courier as saying the offer was "a very substantial offer which I didn’t think they would go to".  Two things are crystal clear from this.  Firstly, Draper wanted the move to County.  Secondly, the club were only prepared to sell him if their valuation was met.

With regard to the transfer "request", this is just semantics.  Draper had already informally made it be known that he wanted away and so when an offer came in which the Board was prepared to accept, they asked him to put in a "transfer request" which in reality is simply asking Draper to formally confirm that he is willing for his current contract to be terminated so that the Board can progress with finalising the transfer.  It is surely good practice that before a club sell a player to another club, they have the player's formal consent.  Maybe Draper thought it a bit strange, but if it is simply confirming in writing what he has previously expressed verbally and which is being acted on, what's the problem!

The Courier headline is typical media sensationalist nonsense.  It says "Caley Thistle boss John Robertson in the dark over claims club's board forced Ross Draper to submit transfer request".  Absolutely nothing in the article remotely backs the claim up.   Robertson is quoted as saying " Once Ross had tabled his transfer request it would have been futile to keep a player who had his head turned.  The board and I discussed it and the transfer request was put in - that was the final part to draw a line under it and move on.  We could have said no but then we’d have a very disgruntled player who wants to play in the Premiership."  In other words, Draper wanted the move, Robertson discussed the latest offer with the Board and they agreed they wouldn't stand in his way.  Putting in the "transfer request" was a simply a necessary formality which clearly Robertson was aware of.

The suggestion of Draper being forced to request a transfer is clearly nonsense.  That would imply, for instance, that an offer had come in which was so good that the club put pressure on the player to move against his will.  Clearly this is not the case.  Indeed it is clear that the opposite is true - the player wants to leave and the club have reluctantly let him go.  The Board can, in my view, be rightly criticised over a number of issues but not regarding this.    In the past when the Board generally received praise from the fans, the one recurring criticism was that we consistently failed to get decent transfer fees (or any at all) for our departing players.  It is ironic that at a  time when the Board is generally receiving criticism, it is being slated for what is perhaps one of the better bits of business the club has ever done in the transfer market.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The concern has to be the falling gate - fuelled by the lack of info and enthusiasm by those in charge. If we can only muster less than 1500 home fans for a match against the favourites in the first match of the league season, it puts us in the lower half of the table in terms of income. There is a real risk that attendances might drop below 1000 on a cold Tuesday night in January. That is part-time football,  I'm afraid.

Edited by PerfICT
  • Agree 1

Relegation means a significant drop in revenue for a number of reasons.  And with no significant financial backer the club simply has to significantly cut its costs or risk financial ruin.  The harsh reality is that poor recruitment by our previous 2 managers and a number of players being on wages significantly higher than players were earning the last time we took the drop means we don't have the depth of squad or the resource to make recruitment easy.  Added to that is the rather worrying lack of young talent at the right age group to move into the senior squad.  No doubt some of the reasons for us being where we are will be debated at length in due course, but the first thing is to accept where it is we are.  And where we are is in trouble.  Getting out of trouble will not be easy and will be a long term effort.  We are not going to bounce straight back to the top flight but instead we need to set the key goal of not leaving the Championship by the back door.

Having said that, I am, so far, hugely heartened by what our new (returned) manager has achieved so far.  I like his attitude and the way he wants the team to play.  I am also encouraged by the early views of some of his signings.  There looks to be real quality in Seedorf and Calder in particular and signs that others younger players could develop nicely.  If we can get injured players back and a bit of stability in the side then I think we have the potential to do better than we have any right to expect.  I am sure that we have the potential to play some really attractive football this season although we desperately need someone to find the back of the net with some regularity.  Unfortunately, I doubt that playing attractive football is going to bring the fans back in the numbers we need in order to secure the finances required to return to and stay in the top flight.  It should, though, prevent us from ever becoming a part-time club.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, DoofersDad said:

What a mountain over a molehill some folk are making over the Draper transfer!  What has happened here is that County put in an offer for him which the club were not willing to accept.  Draper knew about that.  If he had wanted to stay with ICT he would have said so and the club would have told County that he was not for sale.  That would have been the end of it.  However, Draper clearly was interested in a move to County as it would mean he could continue in the Premiership and would not have to move house.  Presumably it would also mean bigger wages.  Given Draper's interest in the move, County's initial bid will have been turned down but they would have been told that Draper was interested in moving and ICT would be willing to sell him if County were prepared to meet the club's valuation.  After at least one more rejected bid which Robertson thought would be County's final bid, County this week came up with an offer which ICT felt was a good offer ,  Robertson is quoted in the Courier as saying the offer was "a very substantial offer which I didn’t think they would go to".  Two things are crystal clear from this.  Firstly, Draper wanted the move to County.  Secondly, the club were only prepared to sell him if their valuation was met.

With regard to the transfer "request", this is just semantics.  Draper had already informally made it be known that he wanted away and so when an offer came in which the Board was prepared to accept, they asked him to put in a "transfer request" which in reality is simply asking Draper to formally confirm that he is willing for his current contract to be terminated so that the Board can progress with finalising the transfer.  It is surely good practice that before a club sell a player to another club, they have the player's formal consent.  Maybe Draper thought it a bit strange, but if it is simply confirming in writing what he has previously expressed verbally and which is being acted on, what's the problem!

The Courier headline is typical media sensationalist nonsense.  It says "Caley Thistle boss John Robertson in the dark over claims club's board forced Ross Draper to submit transfer request".  Absolutely nothing in the article remotely backs the claim up.   Robertson is quoted as saying " Once Ross had tabled his transfer request it would have been futile to keep a player who had his head turned.  The board and I discussed it and the transfer request was put in - that was the final part to draw a line under it and move on.  We could have said no but then we’d have a very disgruntled player who wants to play in the Premiership."  In other words, Draper wanted the move, Robertson discussed the latest offer with the Board and they agreed they wouldn't stand in his way.  Putting in the "transfer request" was a simply a necessary formality which clearly Robertson was aware of.

The suggestion of Draper being forced to request a transfer is clearly nonsense.  That would imply, for instance, that an offer had come in which was so good that the club put pressure on the player to move against his will.  Clearly this is not the case.  Indeed it is clear that the opposite is true - the player wants to leave and the club have reluctantly let him go.  The Board can, in my view, be rightly criticised over a number of issues but not regarding this.    In the past when the Board generally received praise from the fans, the one recurring criticism was that we consistently failed to get decent transfer fees (or any at all) for our departing players.  It is ironic that at a  time when the Board is generally receiving criticism, it is being slated for what is perhaps one of the better bits of business the club has ever done in the transfer market.

You put it so well!

Meanwhile back down here we have Coutinho and Danny Rose manouvring for moves, for betterment...same old ***** only the money is different!

Many of us have had our say but unless we move on now in unison and adopt a positive attitude we will not help get the club out of the tangle it is in. 

Chums, if you think the management  (the Board) is going to  get down on  bended knee , beg for forgiveness from the fans, answer all our constantly repetitive questions and  say "Meah Culpa" a dozen times, whilst genuflecting in rhythm with your claims and advice, then I do not see that ever  happening.

That's why I say let's move on out of the whirlwind where our emotions will continue to overwhelm us and address the real issues now confronting the club.  If for no other reason than the fact that the steady new Manager needs the fans to get behind him and his efforts and allow the Board to reflect, change course and  be more flexible and communicative in the future. Remember they are human too and if they are all we have for the time being, and maybe for the rest of the season for all we know, then we have to allow for that even if it hurts like heck. At this stage we are darned lucky to have a steady hand like J.R's on the tiller and he needs us to be onside too otherwise from whence does he draw his own positive emotional energy? If we don't support him 100%  then he will end up crushed, which is not good.

I want to turn over a new leaf and set a new course on the compass because the past isn't going to change  no matter what we say.:ictscarf::notworthy:

• Agree 2

As the Bard once said to me in the Shakespeare Arms in Stratford-Upon-Avon " Johndo son, Now is the summer of your discontent. Prepare ye for a glorious winter with the new ICT; And all the clouds that lowered upon your forum, in the deep bosom of Scottish football will be buried"

:notworthy:

• Funny 1

Aghast at the number of posters that seem to want to defend the club come what may.  The fact is the last 6 weeks (and longer) have been utterly shambolic from start to finish.

I actually think we'll do OK this seaon. I'm not in the doomsayers camp re: successive relegations etc however there needs to be a massive improvement at board level.  At the moment i'll give them the benefit of the doubt and put it down to inexperience of the new members rather than  incompetency or deceitfulness.  At some point there does need to be some form of realisation of what supporters expect of them- to work for the best interests of the club, community and supporters.  Unfortunately, at the moment it sounds like too many of them are there for ego driven reasons. Nothing like shaking hands in a boardroom for furthering personal business interests eh?

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

As the Bard once said to me in the Shakespeare Arms in Stratford-Upon-Avon " Johndo son, Now is the summer of your discontent. Prepare ye for a glorious winter with the new ICT; And all the clouds that lowered upon your forum, in the deep bosom of Scottish football will be buried"

:notworthy:

I think that's what we are all hoping for IHE

On ‎10‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 2:06 AM, Fraz said:

Hard to add anything or disagree with anything Chris has said in the OP.

Laurence - either he/she pronoun for Chris may be OK, did you consider they may be gender fluid? 

I believe in France - Laurence is Nom du fils - My son was once going out with a French girl, called Laurence - He remarked " I once told a girl you have the same name as my  Mum, -  but my Dad ! "

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 9:55 AM, Hiro said:

Aghast at the number of posters that seem to want to defend the club come what may.  The fact is the last 6 weeks (and longer) have been utterly shambolic from start to finish.

I actually think we'll do OK this seaon. I'm not in the doomsayers camp re: successive relegations etc however there needs to be a massive improvement at board level.  At the moment i'll give them the benefit of the doubt and put it down to inexperience of the new members rather than  incompetency or deceitfulness.  At some point there does need to be some form of realisation of what supporters expect of them- to work for the best interests of the club, community and supporters.  Unfortunately, at the moment it sounds like too many of them are there for ego driven reasons. Nothing like shaking hands in a boardroom for furthering personal business interests eh?

I was half expecting this Hero. I am not in the doom and gloom club (yet!!) but I am not a happy slapper either. If you drop down a division and lose players like Tansey, Draper and Mckay - add in Meekings, add in Fon Williams - then it is going to be a real struggle. Add Warren's injury and the surprising axing of Raven. And Esson should be starting OR put Fon Williams in the window of opportunity where he has to perform. Robbo was not prepared and appears to have been an impulse appointment. At Forfar I thought - and reported - that Elsdon and Chalmers looked like duds. It looked like Calder was NOT a winger. Surely Robbo sees this. Again I would rather play the yoof.

32 minutes ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

I was half expecting this Hero. I am not in the doom and gloom club (yet!!) but I am not a happy slapper either. If you drop down a division and lose players like Tansey, Draper and Mckay - add in Meekings, add in Fon Williams - then it is going to be a real struggle. Add Warren's injury and the surprising axing of Raven. And Esson should be starting OR put Fon Williams in the window of opportunity where he has to perform. Robbo was not prepared and appears to have been an impulse appointment. At Forfar I thought - and reported - that Elsdon and Chalmers looked like duds. It looked like Calder was NOT a winger. Surely Robbo sees this. Again I would rather play the yoof.

Calder has played as a LW the last couple of games so Robbo does appear to have cottoned on to that at least though it does mean that Chalmers steps in at left back where he has looked really poor so far.

13 minutes ago, RiG said:

Big update from the club posted online:

http://ictfc.com/news/club-news/1974-board-statement-14-08-17

ETA: Slowly working my way through this and to give them some credit there are a fair few answers to questions we've been asking.

All very well but it leaves out the key info- who is the Pornhub bandit?

• Funny 1

Happy with the statement, which I read as open and honest, and probably the earliest they could do under the circumstances.

I would like to be at Monday's meeting, but am away on business, so look forward to the reports?

Hopefylly we are getting towards stability off the park which will translate into a better season on the park than we are currently fearing!

And no, I am not a "happy clapper", but someone passionate about our club and wanting it to succeed.