Scotty

I have to say, I think the Midfield is the area to worry about. There is no proven/consistant quality there. I happen to think that the current midfield is the poorest ICT has ever had. At least our defence has some competent players that will hopefully be back soon.

Limited highlights, but looked pretty even until we gave them the third.

We do look lightweight at the back, hope Warren is back soon, and inconsistent in midfield.

Hard to judge the forwards on the highlights, but looked like Baird had a decent effort. Vigurs the pick.

All that said, goals are what count, and 5-1 does not lie!

With Morton scoring 4 yesterday, Saturday looks like being very tough!

Edited by Robert

52 minutes ago, SMEE said:

I have to say, I think the Midfield is the area to worry about. There is no proven/consistant quality there. I happen to think that the current midfield is the poorest ICT has ever had. At least our defence has some competent players that will hopefully be back soon.

I think the whole feckin team is the area to worry about!!     That defence is slow and totally lacking any form of football skill,  Mackay, Elsdon and Chalmers need to be shown the door a.s.a.p, never have i seen such donkeys in ICT shirts.

It pains me to see us bottom of the league already,  with so many area's of concern i don't know who Robbo is going to sort out this total mess we are in.  

The midfield is now lacking a grafting type player who can tackle and win balls,  Polworth is a passenger these days and needs to wake up. Mulraney has got himself a name as a diving no danger player who does not seems to be able to hurt defences, And our attackers really have to sort out some moves or plays to score goals.

Not looking good at the mo fellow ICT fans.

57 minutes ago, Robert said:

Limited highlights, but looked pretty even until we gave them the third.

We do look lightweight   Totally ponderous at the back, hope Warren is back soon, and inconsistent in midfield.

Hard to judge the forwards on the highlights, but looked like Baird had a decent effort. Vigurs the pick.

All that said, goals are what count, and 5-1 does not lie!

With Morton scoring 4 yesterday, Saturday looks like being very tough!

Sorted it for ya...

• Funny 1

Raven was a centre-back in his Liverpool days before Rafa Benitez converted him into a right back.  Say he reverted back to his old position, would he be better than Elsdon was yesterday?  Surely he couldn't be any worse.

I went to the Caley vs Forest came and to be fair Caley to me  they played like a  Highland league football team instead of Champion squad or better to me the real problems with Caley lie with the current team of Caley they do still have some okay to good players in the team but the loss towards dunfermline is really extreme and to me should have not happened unless Caley had say a squad made up of people who never played football or sick team but I do think as well the current manager is the right person for the job .

Wasn't at the game but maybe the calls to get Seedorf in midfield are correct because if the highlights are anything to go by he can't defend to save himself. 

The midfield is clearly a problem as too often our defence was left open to runs from their attackers one on one. Mackay especially looked totally isolated for a few of the goals. He might have been poor but he wasn't helped. Absolutely no organisation in there at all. Massive gap between the midfield and defence. 

As to Mulraney, aside to a couple of blatant fouls on him in there that the ref ignored there's not much to say. He did seem keen to drive into the box.

The main worry was a complete lack of fight. Backing off and chasing shadows, getting shrugged off the ball with half hearted effort. Even after having won the ball back, their players would win it again due to our lack of conviction. At what level are players taught to stand off someone lining up a shot?

Robbo had get the ship shaped up pronto if we're going to stand a chance this season.

We knew this when we signed him, but Joe Chalmers could quite well be the worst left back we've ever had...and I include Lionel Djebi-Zadi in that.  He just does absolutely nothing.  He's fit enough to fill the role but he offers nothing in attack, looks defensively all over the place and essentially just fills a gap.  At least Lionel was fast, Chalmers doesn't even have that!

Whew! That video is an eye  opener. Where is the needed urgency and flair in our team? If ICT had the same drive, self-confidence, speed and determination as Dunfermline then it might have been a very different outcome. Their youngsters were  something else and seemed to get close to goal like a hot knife going through butter.

I was having a hard time determining which names went with which players. But, in one case, on the right of the video, despite about 5 ICT players bunching close to the Dunfermline player he still was able to pass them all by and get a shot in to score. We seem to need a much more experienced defense. Ridgers made some good saves so it seems unfair to  single him out but he was maybe slow to react before that  ball came in from the left wing and soared over him to go into his top left corner. OR, the Pars left winger should never have been allowed to get that close-in before he lofted a lovely ball over Ridgers.

Sigh! 

I was at Dunfermline yesterday. 

Wow - we are complete and utter pish!! 

Elsdon - he is like the dohball in your school class who is last to get picked because he can't play football. How on earth did we end up with him? He is so slow, can't tackle, punts the ball up the park all the time (and out of it as much)

Chalmers - Can't tackle to save himself or the team. 

Polworth - Time is running out for him.

Mulraney - Skips about, falls over/dives a lot, can't cross and couldn't score in a brothel. 

Baird - Jimmy Krankie would be as much use. 

All in all. This is terminal. League One here we come. 

Edited by Guest

Same ol', same ol'. Personnel may have changed but match reports haven't. Mulraney, no end product. Polworth invisible. Going forward, no idea. Defence, clueless. MacKay, not a footballer at all. Goalkeeper weak. Vigurs, Caley's best player. Ok maybe one change.   

• Agree 1

I wasn't at the game but posts from those who were make grim reading.  We shouldn't read too much into one or two dismal performances.  The previous week, our reshaped team, still lacking several key injured players, outplayed the team who are favourites to win the division.  Dunfermline fans would also have been glum after being dismantled the previous week by a  team who recently crashed out of Europe at the hands of Luxembourg part timers.  Dunfermline bounced back with some style and hopefully we can too.  These things happen.  I remember Terry Butcher on more than one occasion saying he simply couldn't understand why we were so poor across the whole side after a dismal loss at a time when the side was generally playing very well.  We need to beat Morton but we also need not to underestimate them.  They had a great win on Saturday and will be confident that they can get at least a draw at a time when we are clearly struggling.

Much has been said about the poor quality of some of our signings but I do think we need to show a bit of patience here.  Seedorf, Calder and Oakley have all impressed in other games.  Elsdon and Chalmers are trying to find their feet in a very makeshift back line which is missing the experienced Gary Warren - they will maybe impress more when Gary returns.  As someone else has observed, a few of our recent signings come with a decent CV from bigger clubs than we usually recruit from.  Calder was on Villa's books for several years and presumably was felt to have enough about him to hope that he might progress to the 1st team squad, but  he obviously didn't quite make it.  Elsdon has done well at Middlesbrough and has an England Youth cap.  One assumes he is out on loan because they want him to have 1st team experience and will be assessing him for their 1st team squad.  His background certainly suggests there is more to him than has so far been evident.  

Remember, Robbo does not have the level of resources to sign new players that either of the last two managers had.  Personally I don't think the players he has signed are any worse than the ones signed by Hughes and Foran.  The one thing I would criticise him for is saying that Raven is not in the plans.  Raven has been one of our better players and always gives 100%.  He is maybe getting on a bit but I would like to see him in a defensive midfield role.  We don't have replacements for Tansey and Draper, whilst Polworth, sadly, seems to have gone backwards.  Vigurs can't do it all.  Raven would give us a bit more of the bite and composure which we so clearly need in midfield.

• Agree 1

So glad I couldn't make the trip over to Dunfermline on Saturday : bloody tragic.

We seem to have become a feeder club for County.

Changes needed pdq : at least only Utd have full points and we're only 4 points off second!!

1 hour ago, DoofersDad said:

I wasn't at the game but posts from those who were make grim reading.  We shouldn't read too much into one or two dismal performances.  The previous week, our reshaped team, still lacking several key injured players, outplayed the team who are favourites to win the division.  Dunfermline fans would also have been glum after being dismantled the previous week by a  team who recently crashed out of Europe at the hands of Luxembourg part timers.  Dunfermline bounced back with some style and hopefully we can too.  These things happen.  I remember Terry Butcher on more than one occasion saying he simply couldn't understand why we were so poor across the whole side after a dismal loss at a time when the side was generally playing very well.  We need to beat Morton but we also need not to underestimate them.  They had a great win on Saturday and will be confident that they can get at least a draw at a time when we are clearly struggling.

Much has been said about the poor quality of some of our signings but I do think we need to show a bit of patience here.  Seedorf, Calder and Oakley have all impressed in other games.  Elsdon and Chalmers are trying to find their feet in a very makeshift back line which is missing the experienced Gary Warren - they will maybe impress more when Gary returns.  As someone else has observed, a few of our recent signings come with a decent CV from bigger clubs than we usually recruit from.  Calder was on Villa's books for several years and presumably was felt to have enough about him to hope that he might progress to the 1st team squad, but  he obviously didn't quite make it.  Elsdon has done well at Middlesbrough and has an England Youth cap.  One assumes he is out on loan because they want him to have 1st team experience and will be assessing him for their 1st team squad.  His background certainly suggests there is more to him than has so far been evident.  

Remember, Robbo does not have the level of resources to sign new players that either of the last two managers had.  Personally I don't think the players he has signed are any worse than the ones signed by Hughes and Foran.  The one thing I would criticise him for is saying that Raven is not in the plans.  Raven has been one of our better players and always gives 100%.  He is maybe getting on a bit but I would like to see him in a defensive midfield role.  We don't have replacements for Tansey and Draper, whilst Polworth, sadly, seems to have gone backwards.  Vigurs can't do it all.  Raven would give us a bit more of the bite and composure which we so clearly need in midfield.

Well put DD we have to give Robbo and the new players a chance to play it's not a quick fix.

How long do you suggest , bearing in mind this is the 6th competitive game of the season,  plus the pre season friendlies. Sooner or later the lame excuses will have to stop and the management and players will have to take responsibility. Appreciate the league is only 2 games old but to be spanked by Dunfermline,  bottom  of the Championship and out of the League Cup before the start of August is totally unacceptable.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, forresjags said:

How long do you suggest , bearing in mind this is the 6th competitive game of the season,  plus the pre season friendlies. Sooner or later the lame excuses will have to stop and the management and players will have to take responsibility. Appreciate the league is only 2 games old but to be spanked by Dunfermline,  bottom  of the Championship and out of the League Cup before the start of August is totally unacceptable.

Unacceptable yes, but hardly any different from last season where we just scraped into the last 16 of the Betfred. Lost the opening league games to Partick and County with a league cup defeat at Alloa sandwiched between them, then a 5-1 hammering at Tynecastle before finally winning a league match on the 27th. So to keep the pattern going we should be losing this Saturday before winning at Brechin on the 26th :whistle:

• Funny 1

Hopefully the Dunfermline game acts as a watershed and we can push on and at least challenge for the playoffs once the new signings settle in. 

Unfortunately we've lost most of our spine and 3 of the other remaining players are out injured. Which makes it all the more bewildering that we won't use Raven. Surely a bit more game time gets him match fit and in the shop window if he's still surplus. At the very least utilise his services until his contract expires in January (unless he has an appearances extension clause in his deal) and we've long term injuries back. 

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic