IRN BRU Cup (Challenge Cup)

bdu98196

Has it been confirmed that it's in Peterhead? They played their previous round at Brechin but some folk have said that the Aberdeen U20s move their games about.

ETA: Given Peterhead are also at home in this same competition I would be surprised if it is at Balmoor.

Edited by RiG

1 hour ago, PumpFake said:

Send the Under 17s. We shouldn't be taking this nonsense competition seriously.

I would like us to take it as seriously as any other competition. Probably our only chance of silverware this season and, were we to reach the final, some reasonable and much needed income to be gained.

• Agree 2

I doubt we'll be raking in the cash from an attendance of about 5000 in a final against the likes of Livingston or Morton, to be honest.

The risk of any of our first teamers getting injured or suspended in these games is too high. We need as many as we can get for the league, our main priority by far.

The potential Euro trips are the only silver lining.

6 minutes ago, PumpFake said:

I doubt we'll be raking in the cash from an attendance of about 5000 in a final against the likes of Livingston or Morton, to be honest.

The risk of any of our first teamers getting injured or suspended in these games is too high. We need as many as we can get for the league, our main priority by far.

The potential Euro trips are the only silver lining.

There will be cash for progessing tho? Like you hoping for a wee jaunt out of Scotland 

5 minutes ago, old caley girl said:

There will be cash for progessing tho? Like you hoping for a wee jaunt out of Scotland 

How much will my club make in prize money?

First Round losers: £3,500.

Second Round losers: £5,250.

Third Round losers: £5,500.

Fourth Round losers: £5,750.

Quarter-final losers: £8,250.

Semi-final losers: £10,250.

Runners-Up: £12,750.

Winners: £17,750.

Might pay OFW's wages for a week or two.

Ironic that you are both intent on taking this competition - which features Colt teams - seriously, but apparently having our Colt team enter the Highland League is arrogant and devalues that league!

If we take it seriously and it impedes our league campaign through player injuries, fatigue, distraction etc. I won't be pleased - but if it doesn't, and we win it, I suppose I might be a little bit :wink:

Edited by Guest

5 hours ago, Renegade said:

If Peterhead is in use, would it not make more sense (especially in regards to the away support) having the game at say Keith or Inverurie?

Like Aberdoom care about us mate???

With paltry prize money and low gate receipts, there is a risk we could make a loss from this even if we get through to the later stages.  The benefit of being in it for me is that it provides a rare opportunity of game time for one or two players who don't regularly feature.  It's also an opportunity to play in competitive games without the pressure of the league and this might help in giving one or two players a wee confidence boost.

Having seen the relatively poor results for the 'colt' teams, I do wonder if the lack of development league is now hurting clubs - if a player isn't first team or youth (under 18) then is there much scope for a club to keep or develop them? Without being disrespectful a team of under 20's from an Premiership side should be doing better against part time teams on the basis that these should be the next generation of quality youngsters coming through a club - but obviously this isn't the case.

I do wonder if there would be a benefit of revising the competition. Firstly remove these Welsh & Irish teams which invites losses to our clubs having to visit, how long before a Scottish competition has its winners residing overseas? Secondly perhaps with the lack of development league and most lower league teams having free mid-weeks its worth making the early stages into a group format similar to the LC where teams get the chance to play 5 or 6 guaranteed games - lets all sides play fringe or younger players and gives some additional games & income over the later summer weeks before the weather drops off too.

8 minutes ago, Morgan Spice said:

What happens if you are drawn away to one of the teams out with Scotland financially? Does the club get subsidised travel and accommodation or is that left to them to fork out for?

Yeah the SPFL gives the club some cash to help with costs.

Livi had a good trip last season to Crusaders, even if only a handful of them made it. I was rather hoping for Bray Wanderers away. Seeing as we're unlikely to get another Bucharest trip any time soon.

22 minutes ago, TheMantis said:

Livi had a good trip last season to Crusaders, even if only a handful of them made it. I was rather hoping for Bray Wanderers away. Seeing as we're unlikely to get another Bucharest trip any time soon.

see above