Raven not again

bigman

The only decent player we have gives his all for caley told he can go. We must be really desperate to get into a league we can compete in. With ravern on one side and when Tremarco is fit on the other it would allow lesser players some cover while they adjust to the level they are in. What is needed is to prune some of the dross that has been signed recently.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, bigman said:

The only decent player we have gives his all for caley told he can go. We must be really desperate to get into a league we can compete in. With ravern on one side and when Tremarco is fit on the other it would allow lesser players some cover while they adjust to the level they are in. What is needed is to prune some of the dross that has been signed recently.

Is this not old news Bigman?

1 hour ago, bigman said:

Agreed

1 hour ago, bigman said:

Well said Dave, keep the faith and working hard, if nobody offers you something decent then hopefully with the 'dross' you're surrounded by a proper chance will come 

2 minutes ago, bigman said:

It is in today's courier  Raven not wanted Caley boy

Robbo mentioned that Raven was one of the players he was looking to ship out a few weeks ago bigman.

http://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/Sport/Football/Caley-Thistle-boss-John-Robertson-in-the-dark-over-claims-clubs-board-forced-Ross-Draper-to-submit-transfer-request-10082017.htm

It is old news as has been pointed out but ressurected in today's paper. I had hoped they would keep him to help the New players to find their  feet.  We could be well in the mire losing  a player of his experience before we have to

The point is, and was made by JR at the meeting on Monday night, that at 33 (Raven's age I think), the manager advised Raven's agent that he would not be offered a new contract in January so it would be helpful to both club and player to try and find a new deal now. Primary reason was JR felt Raven's legs had gone basically, plenty of evidence for that from last season and this, and hard to disagree with this. If we get promoted, would we still be playing Raven next season, don't think so. Fans need to remember that what Raven has done for us in the past is not going to be possible in the future. Having said that, Robbo made it clear that if Raven still with us, he would play when needed and would play this weekend. Some fans seem to think Raven can still perform as a couple of seasons ago but I doubt it and whether he is better or otherwise than some players signed is immaterial.

• Agree 2

Raven rightly a legend for his semi final goal and the celebration where he was clearly as surprised as us!

A real shame he was injured for the final.

The club should commit for this full season and then take a view, he deserves fair treatment.

I really thought he was being primed to come on at half time against Morton, but that didn't happen and he just got a few minutes after Seedorf was sent off.

Edited by Robert
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

What a thing to say Raven has lost his legs.Last seen running up and down behind the north stand goal if that's any help. Then to say he could be playing today. That must put the opposition in fear playing against a legless fullback. All said in jest but it makes you wonder what's going on and how unpleasant it can be.

18 hours ago, Huisdean said:

The point is, and was made by JR at the meeting on Monday night, that at 33 (Raven's age I think), the manager advised Raven's agent that he would not be offered a new contract in January so it would be helpful to both club and player to try and find a new deal now. Primary reason was JR felt Raven's legs had gone basically, plenty of evidence for that from last season and this, and hard to disagree with this. If we get promoted, would we still be playing Raven next season, don't think so. Fans need to remember that what Raven has done for us in the past is not going to be possible in the future. Having said that, Robbo made it clear that if Raven still with us, he would play when needed and would play this weekend. Some fans seem to think Raven can still perform as a couple of seasons ago but I doubt it and whether he is better or otherwise than some players signed is immaterial.

It's something I have to (reluctantly) agree with - David Raven is, and always will be, an ICT legend. I can see where Robbo is coming from as well though..

I feel for Raven, as I get the impression he wouldn't want to leave the area...as I said on another thread, maybe a potential new recruit for Brora/CRC Evans..!

However, think Robbo has been fair enough with his thoughts as well..Raven is getting on a bit & he is probably past his best (sorry David!).

A hard one, this...we had to let go if the likes of Golabek, Munro & Tokeley before - this feels similarly like the end of an era...sort of!

The real challenge is who is going to replace him? At 33 his legs  are gone?  You are  kidding?!

It's definitely different strokes for different folks but a professional footballer surely can't be that bad at such a low age? When I joined a hiking club which was at the age of about 45 the first hike of some 13 miles nearly killed me and I could hardly lift my legs to get into the car at the end.  But perseverance forced me on and, by the age of fifty, one new girl in the club sat down beside me at the top of the hill to eat lunch and remarked.."Your problem is that you will need to find a girl who can keep up with you."  I looked at her in surprise, thinking.."isn't this a normal physical situation if you keep at it regularly?" Not to mention the fact that I wasn't consciously doing all these sports activities to catch a girl but I sure did not want to be seen as the club laggard. And I was very lucky indeed to have been blessed with a good body too. So sitting around in an apartment every weekend as a single guy moping was not for me when I could be out amongst folks who enjoyed the outdoors as much as I did. and in a country where the choice of out door activities was endless. 

David Raven could surely be so influential in this team guiding the younger,  inexperienced players. At least for a couple of more years? And you are right, this team needs a few mature, experienced heads in it especially when  so many new faces have been drawn in. Who else are they going to turn to for encouragement and advice--their octogenarian brothers ? 

But money talks I am afraid and it does seem as if the club is still very desperate to get it. Are we looking at at least a couple or more years in the Championship?   

If Robbo doesn't fancy him that's fair enough. It's his prerogative as a manager who is paid to win football matches and is in a profession where he might be only a few bad results from the sack. He has to make the calls that he thinks are best.

However if Raven is fit and available he should really make the most of him while he's still here. He might not have the legs to canter up and down at full back but perhaps he could fill in at centre half or in midfield if required as Ross Tokely did towards the end of his time at the club. I for one think he'd be quite suited on the right as part of a back three.

He's started today and we're 4 nil up at the time of writing.

Still my little guy's favourite player .... alongside Sebastian Giovinco. completely confuses my Canadian friends when they ask who his favourite players are :lol:

I have been told that the main issue with DR is that if he plays 10 games he has to be offered a new contract. Hence why Robbo is using him sparingly. Similar situation with Roberto Carlos Tremarco I understand.

Why don't the club offer him a contract extension to the end of this season, on the wage that the new members of the current squad are playing for? If he wants to stay, he may accept a much lower wage - if he finds another club for a better deal, then fair enough. Both Raves & the club win that way...

• 1 month later...

From the interview in the Inverness Courier it is clear he will leave in January. 

Total respect to a club legend. I wish him and his family well for the future.