Raven not again

bigman

On 07/10/2017 at 8:43 PM, givmeaccccc said:

I would test David by offering him a contract extension but on terms more in line with what the new squad members are being paid. Interesting to see how committed he would be to the club and area. It could be a win win for both player and club.

Totally agree with that - said something similar myself on another thread when it became apparent Robbo was intent on shipping him out

• 2 weeks later...

Match after match David Raven puts in a great shift. Team now starting to gel and he is an integral part of this team. Where are we going to find a suitable replacement for him in January? It would be a travesty if we started relentless climb up the table only for it to fall apart if we lose him. Surely a compromise can still be reached. 

• Agree 4
  • Facepalm 1

6 hours ago, Hearach said:

Match after match David Raven puts in a great shift. Team now starting to gel and he is an integral part of this team. Where are we going to find a suitable replacement for him in January? It would be a travesty if we started relentless climb up the table only for it to fall apart if we lose him. Surely a compromise can still be reached. 

Think that ship has sailed Raven has said in press he intends to move back south in January to settle in time for his daughter starting school next summer given the way he has been treated by previous 2 managers and present cant say i blame him IMO it will be a sad day as he is a truly lovely guy and who cant forget that moment at Hampden 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Polo Chick said:

Think that ship has sailed Raven has said in press he intends to move back south in January to settle in time for his daughter starting school next summer given the way he has been treated by previous 2 managers and present cant say i blame him IMO it will be a sad day as he is a truly lovely guy and who cant forget that moment at Hampden 

Sad to hear, he'll leave us with some fantastic memories and good times.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hearach said:

I think he is off unfortunately. Great servant to ICT. I think Robbo sees Seedorf in that spot. 

Sacrificing Raven may leave cash in the pot to keep the younger duo of Vigurs and /or Polworth beyong this summer maybe?

Both of whom I think are pivotal to our club building a team for the next couple of seasons at least.

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, AncientMariner said:

The two most vilified players in the team? I bet they're counting down the days!

I hope not. I have always thought the criticism of them was totally unjust. We would miss them majorly.

9 minutes ago, Caman said:

I hope not. I have always thought the criticism of them was totally unjust. We would miss them majorly.

Dodds was on Spotsound on Saturday and said Roy M reads the RC forum so its reasonable to assume ICT staff and players occasionally wander in here. You don't have to look far to see the inflammatory and derisory posts that fly about the forum. Also, the abuse both players get from the home fans is pretty sickening too, why would they want to stay at ICT where the fans hold them in such contempt?

If we were to extend Raven's contract until the end of the season then fair enough, but I think his legs are going at such a rate that another season might be one too many.  I have wondered if turning him into a centre-back and/or a sitting midfielder might prolong his stay at this level but I don't think that chance will come.

12 hours ago, Caman said:

I think he is off unfortunately. Great servant to ICT. I think Robbo sees Seedorf in that spot. 

Sacrificing Raven may leave cash in the pot to keep the younger duo of Vigurs and /or Polworth beyong this summer maybe?

Both of whom I think are pivotal to our club building a team for the next couple of seasons at least.

Good point - personally, as myself & others have said, I'd be more than happy to see Raves get a contract extension to the end of the season, but suspect this won't happen. If he feels like moving south for family reasons after being treated with contempt by 2 managers now, who would blame him! Maybe his legs are going a bit now, but he is still easily good enough for the Championship at least.

Raves will always be remembered up here, for me, he's up there with ledgendary ICT defenders like Munro, Tokeley, Dods, Golabek, etc....I will never forget that winning goal against Celtic at Hampden - one of my best ever ICT memories!

Hope to see him up for the anniversary celebrations of our Scottish Cup win, which he contributed so much to (sure he will bring his guitar as well....)!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AncientMariner said:

Dodds was on Spotsound on Saturday and said Roy M reads the RC forum so its reasonable to assume ICT staff and players occasionally wander in here. You don't have to look far to see the inflammatory and derisory posts that fly about the forum. Also, the abuse both players get from the home fans is pretty sickening too, why would they want to stay at ICT where the fans hold them in such contempt?

Hi AM wouldn't mind seeing a little edit here if you don't mind e. g. ''Also the abuse both players get from some home game watchers.......... barrackers and the likes and for that matter some posters on here.'' 

Why would they want to stay on here ??...........good question.............I sometimes wonder.

Dodds was on Sportsound on Saturday and said Roy M reads the RC forum so its reasonable to assume ICT staff and players occasionally wander in here. You don't have to look far to see the inflammatory and derisory posts from some people on here. Also, the abuse both players get from some home fans is pretty sickening too, why would they want to stay at ICTwhere  fans hold them in such contempt?

4 hours ago, AncientMariner said:

You don't have to look far to see the inflammatory and derisory posts from some people on here

Correct.

4 hours ago, AncientMariner said:

Pumpfake is not a supporter, he is one of the wee fannies who caused all the trouble and has a constant boner about it

Get your own house in order before acting all holier-than-thou.

On topic, we should of course offer Raven a contract (possibly as player/coach as I imagine he will go into coaching eventually) but if he sees that his future lies elsewhere, then he should go with a hero's departure.

Edited by Guest

16 minutes ago, PumpFake said:

Get your own house in order before acting all holier-than-thou.

On topic, we should of course offer Raven a contract (possibly as player/coach as I imagine he will go into coaching eventually) but if he sees that his future lies elsewhere, then he should go with a hero's departure.

I merely modified a post at the request of Bughtmaster.  I do understand your sensitivity to the post though, perhaps you could defend your posts (which could often be considered inflammatory or derisory) rather than attack the poster?

On topic, it would seem Polo Chic might have some insider information and offering a contract would be pointless if he has already planned to leave for the benefit of his family. It would make sense to move in January rather than May. 

A full back needs pace off the mark as he is usually up against a pacy winger. The Manager sees him in training every day and is best placed to decide whether a players time is up, then there's the money aspect, probably makes sense all round. I think everyone will remember that semi winner with fondness.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, AncientMariner said:

I merely modified a post at the request of Bughtmaster.  I do understand your sensitivity to the post though, perhaps you could defend your posts (which could often be considered inflammatory or derisory) rather than attack the poster?

On topic, it would seem Polo Chic might have some insider information and offering a contract would be pointless if he has already planned to leave for the benefit of his family. It would make sense to move in January rather than May. 

If that's your threshold for an "attack" then its no wonder you've been cowering at home instead of supporting the team.

If he has informed the club that he is leaving, we should be sourcing a replacement for Raven now - we need to be more aggressive in getting players signed up on pre-contracts rather than being the victims of this as we have been in the recent past.

I think the inside information Polo Chic has was from the interview with David Raven in the Inverness Courier over a week ago :wink:

55 minutes ago, PumpFake said:

If that's your threshold for an "attack" then its no wonder you've been cowering at home instead of supporting the team.

If he has informed the club that he is leaving, we should be sourcing a replacement for Raven now - we need to be more aggressive in getting players signed up on pre-contracts rather than being the victims of this as we have been in the recent past.

Admittedly I did cower at home following the abuse I heard at the QOS game but I'll be back this Saturday!

I would expect we already have a replacement? There just isn't any money to go shopping so we have what we have. I really don't think we are in a position to offer pre-contracts or certainly not to players the manager wants.

Admittedly I did cower at home following the abuse I heard at the QOS game but I'll be back this Saturday!

I would expect we already have a replacement? There just isn't any money to go shopping so we have what we have. I really don't think we are in a position to offer pre-contracts or certainly not to players the manager wants.

I think if we are aiming to source players from the Highland League and Leagues 1 and 2 then we should be actively pursuing players in this manner. It would probably have increased the chances of Kevin Fraser being signed, for example. Admittedly my knowledge of lower-league right backs is lacking, but Dundee United picked up Andy Robertson from Queen's Park so the talent is often there, even if a little raw.