CLUB STATEMENT : Supporter Behaviour at Brechin

ICTFC

Following the unacceptable conduct of a small group of “supporters” at our Championship League game against Brechin last Saturday (26th August), the Club can now advise that discussions have taken place with both Brechin City Football Club and Police Scotland, with the view to identifying those supporters whose conduct was unacceptable, including those who were ejected from the Brechin City Football Ground.

The evidence secured to date includes both video and still footage taken at the match and written reports received from both Brechin City and Police Scotland.

The Club is currently collating this evidence with the view of issuing banning orders against those whose conduct has proved to be unacceptable.

As we have stated in the past and reiterate again here, ICTFC will not tolerate unacceptable conduct at Tulloch Caledonian Stadium or away football stadia. Unacceptable conduct is conduct which is deemed violent or disorderly. Violent Conduct includes any actual, attempted or threatened physical violence against any person or intentional damage to property.

Board of Directors
Inverness Caledonian Thistle Football Club

• Agree 1
  • Facepalm 1

Unacceptable behaviour on the part of a small group of individuals purporting to support Inverness Caledonian Thistle, but in practice simply using the sport and the club as a medium for public disorder, has been a festering sore in the nether regions of this institution for too long. I can only commend the board for pledging to take action which will doubtless also be very well received by the overwhelming majority of decent and genuine supporters who attend matches, and all connected with the club.

Edited by Charles Bannerman
  • Agree 5

Flares/smoke bombs have NO place at any football game, but don't throw the baby out with the bathwater & kill the atmosphere..by the way, I'm not condoning what happened at Brechin (flares/smokebombs & the damage to the coach), just saying - crack down on the minority who were behaving like Neds but don't demonise all the young guys who go - they do try to create an atmosphere!

• Facepalm 1

The young guys in the north stand do their best to create an atmosphere  which is great. They then spoil themselves by getting  involved with flares. Keep the drums going lads it does create atmosphere but stick to the rules no flares it has the reverse effect and spoils our reputation 

• Agree 3

Does anyone know of a friend or acquaintance who has stopped attending Caley games because of our MASSIVE, ABHORRENT pyrotechnic problem?

Or has our reputation actually not been damaged at all by a small number of instances where smoke bombs (not flares) have been set off?

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, PumpFake said:

Does anyone know of a friend or acquaintance who has stopped attending Caley games because of our MASSIVE, ABHORRENT pyrotechnic problem?

Or has our reputation actually not been damaged at all by a small number of instances where smoke bombs (not flares) have been set off?

What about the damage to the bus etc? 

• Agree 3

17 minutes ago, PumpFake said:

I think we've had this debate already. The game is pretty well universally opposed to fireworks, smoke bombs and other, related Neddish behaviour. In addition to that, you ask the wrong question. For goodness sake, fans have been complaining quite enough about the "match day experience". Wee knuckle-draggers letting off these things quite clearly detracts from that, so QED. 

I'm also interested that there seems to have been undue focus on fireworks and smoke bombs to the avoidance of the rest of the culture of loutish behaviour which has become more and more associated with a certain section of the ICT support. I mean as vandalism of a bus, violent behaviour at Elgin and the threatening of other supporters at home games etc (Old Caley Girl has just posted to this effect as well while I have been writing.) There are far too many apologists for the "poor misunderstood children" who have been making a disgrace of the club for far too long - and having also read Pump Fake's latest post, also while I have been writing, I am tempted to include him in this category. These wee Neds need sorted and hopefully the guilty ones now will be.

Edited by Charles Bannerman
  • Agree 5

2 minutes ago, Charles Bannerman said:

I think we've had this debate already. The game is pretty well universally opposed to fireworks, smoke bombs and other, related Neddish behaviour. In addition to that, you ask the wrong question. For goodness sake, fans have been complaining quite enough about the "match day experience". Wee knuckle-draggers letting off these things quite clearly detracts from that, so QED. 

I'm also interested that there seems to have been undue focus on fireworks and smoke bombs and not the rest of the culture of loutish behaviour which has become more and more associated with a certain section of the ICT support, such as vandalism of a bus, violent behaviour at Elgin and the threatening of other supporters at home games (Old Caley Girl has just posted to this effect as well while I have been writing.) There are far too many apologists for the "poor misunderstood children" who have been making a disgrace of the club for far too long - and having also read Pump Fake's latest post, also while I have been writing, I am tempted to include him in this category. These wee Neds need sorted and hopefully the guilty ones now will be.

Steady on.

Whilst you are correct that the behaviour is unacceptable you have basically just alleged that pumpfake is complicit in it due to his responses on here.

I hope you are able to back that up.

4 minutes ago, PumpFake said:

The statement only refers to actions inside the ground. 

Loud, colourful and enthusiastic support is always welcome. However, the behaviour complained of is selfish, dangerous and criminally illegal whether in a football ground or elsewhere.

There is no excuse for it or justification for defending it. Warnings have been issued before and ignored. The time has come for the perpetrators to be identified and punished.

Brechin City were very hospitable to our fans on Saturday. A few abused that hospitality. That is not the Highland way. It's not the ICT way.

• Agree 10

What I am railing against is the complete overreaction by some fans and our board to this situation. Banning orders? Getting the police involved? All this serves to do is bring bad PR to the club when it is the last thing that is needed.

Get the boys in for a quiet word, buy them a flag or two or give them a wee display fund in return for them promising to behave and we have a far more sensible outcome than the way this has developed.

As an aside, some of the veiled classist remarks are a bit uncalled for.

5 minutes ago, PumpFake said:

What I am railing against is the complete overreaction by some fans and our board to this situation. Banning orders? Getting the police involved? All this serves to do is bring bad PR to the club when it is the last thing that is needed.

Get the boys in for a quiet word, buy them a flag or two or give them a wee display fund in return for them promising to behave and we have a far more sensible outcome than the way this has developed.

So your reaction to criminal behaviour is to not involve the police and just sweep it under the carpet. So if your car is stolen you won't bother with the police and just ask those who did it to calm their exuberance and not do it again?

Edited by Rasczak
  • Agree 4

True supporters go to home and away matches to support their team, enjoy their day out and not bother anyone. 

I hope to see and hear only those kind of ICT supporters at home and away games from now on. 

Anyone who doesn't fit this criteria, please stay away and prevent further 'bad press' for our club. :redcard:

Edited by Guest

13 minutes ago, Rasczak said:

So your reaction to criminal behaviour is to not involve the police and just sweep it under the carpet. So if your car is stolen you won't bother with the police and just ask those who did it to calm their exuberance and not do it again?

They are obviously not comparable situations. I would much rather police resources were used to deal with proper criminal action. A situation such as this, where the club could quite easily deal with it themselves by exhibiting a bit of tact - also thereby not dragging the club's name through the mud unnecessarily - does not have to merit a police response.

Unless you advocate calling the police every time you see a group of kids disturbing you by playing the game at no.5 on this list, for example?http://www.telegraph.co.uk/only-in-britain/strange-british-laws/

51 minutes ago, PumpFake said:

Last Saturday might just change that preception, don't you think?

3 minutes ago, RiG said:

Another statement:

I have posted elsewhere, it appears that instead of accepting that they have a, possibly very small, element that has been taking it too far, and working to help weed it out s that both they and the club benefit, they are blaming others for a perceived witch-hunt for them just trying to create a little atmosphere. If they can't see what is wrong, what hope is there?

• Agree 3

4 minutes ago, jingsmonty said:

Last Saturday might just change that preception, don't you think?

Perhaps - and it would be sad if that is the case - but the main reason for that would be the reactionary response from the club.

33 minutes ago, PumpFake said:

I can kinda see where PumpFake is coming from here - like I said before, my Wife was at the Brechin game & told me she didn't see anything noteable as unusually bad behaviour, compared to other games we've been at (apart from the flares/smoke bombs of course), she thought the stewarding was unnecessarily heavy handed though - particularly the drum being confiscated!

However, reputation is everything here - our club is being dragged through the mud here & they probably feel they have to act. If they find out who let the flares/smoke bombs off, they fully deserve everything they get, I have no sympathy at all - they will count themselves lucky if they aren't charged, as well as whatever action the club takes. As for the damage to the bus, that's criminal damage - end of. No excuse.

Please keep going to the games, guys - but behave...I don't think that's a lot to ask!

7 minutes ago, PumpFake said:

Perhaps - and it would be sad if that is the case - but the main reason for that would be the reactionary response from the club.

Please don't try & justify flares/smoke bombs - there isn't any way to do so...

Perhaps, as someone else has just posted, U17 should try & sort out the behaviour of the group (the vast majority of whom, I'm sure, are jyst out to enjoy themselves & get behind the team), rather than stay away altogether - I don't want to see genuine fans feeling like they have to stay away! But, wee neds who cause trouble, we can do without..

• Agree 4

North Korea are firing nuclear feckin missiles over Japan and threatening a nuclear strike on USA. President Trump is threatening World War 111.

No pyro No party - Ultras use it all across Europe.

Never mind that BUT what was the damage to the bus - you don't shitt in your own back yard.

• Agree 1

Just now, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

North Korea are firing nuclear feckin missiles over Japan and threatening a nuclear strike on USA. President Trump is threatening World War 111.

No pyro No party - Ultras use it all across Europe.

Never mind that BUT what was the damage to the bus - you don't shitt in your own back yard.

An AC unit was ripped out and electric wiring was damaged.

20 minutes ago, RiG said:

Another statement:

Petulant and immature. Grow up children and continue to do what you do best by supporting the club loudly and enthusiastically but when you have overstepped the mark as some of you did on Saturday for goodness sake learn the lesson and don't give the likes of CB and others the opportunity to ridicule you. You can do much better than that and have done in the past.

• Agree 10

2 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

Petulant and immature. Grow up children and continue to do what you do best by supporting the club loudly and enthusiastically but when you have overstepped the mark as some of you did on Saturday for goodness sake learn the lesson and don't give the likes of CB and others the opportunity to ridicule you. You can do much better than that and have done in the past.

Well said