Number One

WYNESS101

Your number one  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Who to play?

• OWF
    • Ridgers

Who knows what the hell is going on with OFW. I only see that everybody loses from this. Fon Williams is not playing and his hopes of international recognition goes down the pan. The Club has yet another PR disaster, is paying for a player who won't be played and have a calamity in goal who has been a contributing factor in more than one defeat this season. In fairness, OFW made his own fair share of ****-ups last season (near post free kicks were a particular shambles), but I sense that Ridgers is in his own class ewhen it comes to goalkeeping talents.

• Agree 2

In hindsight I wonder if things would have been different if we had released OFW instead of Dean Brill when JH had to make the choice of who to keep. I seem to remember  that many on here highlighted the valid point that although Dean Brill was the better keeper OFW would bring in a windfall from his involvement in the Euro's.

Not sure how much we made from the Euro's, but probably not enough to justify  some shambolic goalkeeping  performances that undoubtedly contributed to our slide out of the SPL.

IMO Ridgers is obviously struggling for form so bringing  in the experienced Esson to try and steady a rocking  defence must be an option.

• Agree 1

Never mind having Jim Calder as guest speaker, get him back in goals :smile:

d766e459-270f-4370-9f66-80fca570151a.jpg

This Saturday's guest speakers are Jimmy Calder and Mike Noble - 
come along and chat with two of the Club's Legends.

903f45a5-06a9-47de-8689-8206e9eff82d.png

On ‎2017‎-‎09‎-‎10 at 11:55 AM, Kingsmills said:

OFW was so promising a couple of seasons ago, What happened?

Never mind wallowing in bad feelings . If at all possible, OFW and the club should sit down and negotiate and try very hard to make or thrash out  a deal. He was a fine goalie  and maybe if they can come to a mutually beneficial agreement then he might be able to regain his form and all that may lead to. Just a thought!

The stumbling block that seems to be halting a resolution of the dichotomy  should be  torched and encouraged to wither away. Sitting this player on the sidelines spinning his wheels just seems to be so unrealistic and non-productive that the mind boggles.:amazed:

On 13/09/2017 at 11:32 AM, jingsmonty said:

Would a loan deal for OFW be a way out? Presumably this would have to wait until January 2018 though

Club won't put him out on loan as it's the parent club that would be still paying his wage. Why give another club his services and we pay for it.

44 minutes ago, WYNESS101 said:

Club won't put him out on loan as it's the parent club that would be still paying his wage. Why give another club his services and we pay for it.

his wage would at least be subsidised by the club he plays for

Given how the club seem to have announced to the press that players were being released prior to telling players themselves (Meekings) and the poor management of the Draper transfer to save face I'd be tempted to side with OFW Re who's not being entirely up front in regards to his situation. 

If an appearance bonus is the problem sit him down and ask him to either remove it or defer it in order to play. It's not exactly something that hasn't happened before.

Allegedly OFW is awaiting to sign a deal to move to America, so is happy to just wait it out. Not sure when the American season runs but that will get him the profile needed to get into the Wales WC squad. The offers he's had in the UK are not what he's looking for either in terms of club profile or package and ICT don't want him.

19 minutes ago, wynthank15 said:

Ridgers or OFW Hmmm let me think.

Let me help............Ridgers...................As someone posted on another thread OFW was not in the team photo in last weekends programme, I think that tells us something.

Ridgers made a better start making two saves, one excellent, in the first half against livi. He still struggled with crosses but the goals weren't his fault, so there has been an improvement. The defence relies on a commanding and respected GK, but I think both options don't have that. I'd still play OFW at this point. 

4 minutes ago, IBM said:

P & J today OFW stakes his claim for ICT return after playing against Brora on Tuesday night where ICT won 2 nil goals from Oakley & Danny Mackay, Tremarco played full game as did Susan. 

Be interesting to see if that performance has any bearing at all on team selection for Dumbarton. Somehow I cant see OFW being ahead of Ridgers, but to even see him on the bench would be a good start. I really hope Robbo will not do what Foran did and ostracise players purely to avoid admitting he might have been wrong. OFW had his clangers last 2 seasons, but overall he looked the part of a confident and competent GK with perhaps a little extra coaching required. Ridgers looks more like the backup that's never used and hasn't played any competitive football for a few years

• Agree 1

Some of OFW's poorer performances last season were when he was carrying injuries and probably shouldn't have been playing.  Whilst he is undoubtedly a better keeper than Ridgers, he lacks a commanding presence in the box and our central defence is in desperate need of that.  But with OFW back between the sticks I would expect the defence in general to be a bit more solid.  

On 9/17/2017 at 6:51 AM, bdu98196 said:

Allegedly OFW is awaiting to sign a deal to move to America, so is happy to just wait it out. Not sure when the American season runs but that will get him the profile needed to get into the Wales WC squad. The offers he's had in the UK are not what he's looking for either in terms of club profile or package and ICT don't want him.

The North American MLS season runs from March to December so he has pretty much missed the boat on that one. There are 4 regular season games left plus the playoffs. Transfer window is also closed of course. Pre-season for next year starts in January/February so thats perhaps where he is aiming.  

However, as I posted on the 'Transfer In/Out' thread a while back when this was first mentioned .... Unless he gets a club in MLS which I think is unlikely given that the club in question would have to use up an international roster spot and there is already a glut of good 'domestic' keepers in MLS, you are talking about USL or NASL. No way the wages would be anywhere near what he is on now in those leagues and unless he is in MLS he is not likely to get into Wales squad. : MLS Wages (GK) http://www.spotrac.com/mls/rankings/guaranteed/goalkeeper/

The Canadian Premier League is about to start up but its still maybe 18-24 months away from a proper launch so thats not really an option and as with NASL/USL, it may not be seen as a high quality league, at least initially: https://www.wakingthered.com/2017/5/12/15628730/canadian-premier-league-news-rumours-cpl-soccer-hamilton-winnipeg-canpl