Just imagine you support both ICT and Palace

Eagle4Caley

Just testing times all round!

Some horrible similarities about our Summer preparations, and the current prognosis for doing well in our respective leagues...only the amount of money involved is different

I'm not happy at all that Frank De Boer has been sacked after 4 games, we've become a real joke. We've had a pretty poor transfer window, and we're left with a terrible goalkeeper in Wayne Hennessey, OFW's senior international colleague, and unbelieveably one fit striker...even Caley didn't leave themsleves that short (unless we are talking quality)

I can't be arsed to go to the next home game v Southampton since it's on TV, the passion I had has become very diluted....on the other hand I am very much looking forward to coming up for the away game at Livingston in November, by then the team might be motoring.

On 12/09/2017 at 11:09 PM, Scarlet Pimple said:

You  are quite a fan, Eagle4Caley. If you don't mind my asking how did you become so attached to a Highland team quite a ways from where you presently live?

Were you born in the Inverness locality perchance?

Hi SP, I'm a South Londoner born and bred, as far as I am aware I don't have any Scottish blood in me (just in my soul!), although one ancestry firm suggested my surname (Lyon) was linked to the Farquharson, it could be tosh but the tartan's pretty! I first became aware of ICT one night listening to the radio, now who were they playing?...ah yes Celtic, in that famous victory. I gradually took more notice of Caley over the subsequent years, having a strange desire to find a Scots team to support (although I once toyed with Partick!), I remember being surprisingly upset that Caley were relegated in 2009. I have supported Palace since I was 14 (I'm 59 now) and once I discovered that Caley also play in Red n Blue stripes that sealed the deal. I first saw the stadium in October 2012 whilst on a tour of the Highlands with my eldest daughter, persuading our guide to take a wee diversion. My first live game was suitably Ross County at home 16th March 2013 (we won 2-1 with Charlie Taylor being brought down for the resultant winning penalty). My first away game was Charlton in a friendly, I've been to two Cup finals, and memorably did the Celtic cup semi final having watched Palace v WBA on the Saturday then taking a Megabus sleeper upto Glasgow where I met up with CaleyMad for the early kick-off. My wife has been up to Inverness twice with me for matches, we both love Inverness. My eldest daughter nearly got to see Hearts away with me in December a couple of seasons back, but the match was called off. I think my work colleagues think I'm ever so slightly bonkers, but they enjoyed the celebratory cakes when we won the Cup. I've never seen Palace win anything (unless play-off finals count). Obviously it takes a bit a planning to come up for games working round Palace home games and stuff, but Easyjet are pretty good price wise. Watching Caley is a strange release, certainly different from the madhouse EPL, I really like the stadium's setting and the weather always seem half decent when I come up (although the Celtic home match last March mid-week was effing cold walking back). My next match is Livingstone away in November. I once watched their manager score a winning play-off final goal for Palace!

• Like 1

Eee ba gum, lad, what a lovely story. My dad, long gone , was born in Yorkshire like my current Doctor in Maple Ridge , British Columbia,

She asked me where he was born and I said "Goole I think". And she asked me where that was. A bit staggered, I replied. "well, it's close to the river Ouse and in Blacktoft  where his sister is located  there is a delightful local pub right close to the same river.etc."--  But she still did not respond!  I think she was born up in a country district where her folks may well have had a decent size property but she had led only a somewhat studious but sheltered life. I noticed she did not have a ring on her finger and as the  interview came to a slithering halt she remarked "I have to go over to the local hospital to pick up my husband" and this set my Spy's brain in overdrive and I thought "Aha, the plot thickens!  This will require overtime, Scarlet, if I am going to be able to protect her from the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune when,  and if,  the play continues on the same course.....or summat?:smile:

As far as flying from Gatwick to Inverness (when next I visit) is concerned,  when I was last over I went Flybe and it was a decent  flight. Do you recommend another airline and if so do they use Gatwick also?

You must have lots of energy Eagle running around all these far away and far-out grounds but you have to do this when you are young,. Ergo, you must be forever young then? One day you will surprise us all by stating that you have decided to fly to the very beautiful Vancouver in my now home province of British Columbia, the home of the Whitecaps who seem to be doing rather well this season. Interested? You know what they say ..." a change is as good as a rest"? And if you and I are too tired to actually go to the match, why, we can always watch the Vancouver Canucks and their rebuilding ice hockey team put on a show of blistering speed and skill (these pesky Swedes  are everywhere aren't they ) on my large screen Sony T.V. They finished 2nd last in the National Hockey League last season so they have a lot to prove this season;   just like our beloved ICT, eh? If nothing else, Eagle, it will be a stimulating season  as the brilliant new rookies get their chance to strut their stuff on both stages and prove that they are worth a slot in each repective team.

Go fer it, I say and ...Cheers the  Noo.:ictscarf:

• 1 month later...

Were I a Londoner I would be a Palace supporter too, love the strip, real football ground, atmosphere. Unfortunately Palace this season rather remind me of ICT last season, hope not, you have some talented players but as we know there is no such thing as too good to go down.