Brian Rice and Scott Kellacher

What do these guys actually contribute? They have been present for the entirety of two ultimately failed managerial spells and are on their way to making it a hat-trick. 

When the managers did poorly, they were sacked. When players play poorly, they are not offered a new contract. These coaches cannot get the players to look like they have ever met each other before stepping out on to the park yet they are seemingly untouchable.

Edited by Guest

ICT have had 3 managers now, but the same coaching staff, is that maybe where the problem lies. When most managers leave or are sacked, they normally take their backroom teams with them, but with having to pay Hughes and now Foran compensation, the club probably couldn't afford to get rid of Rice and Kellacher, hence why they are still here. The club maybe waiting till their contracts run down and then look to freshen the coaching side up.

• Agree 1

TBH, I've suggested in the past that we need to look at a full overhaul of the coaching staff at the club as some have been there too long and been resent with the delivery of failure at not just first team but also youth level. Whole regime needs a refresh.

If Rice was that good, why did he leave his Qatar post - probably because he allegedly fell foul of the authorities and this was the only gig he could get calling on the Yogi old palls act.

Kellacher is married into one of the directors families so probably that makes his role secure.

As for Malpas - was that his effect at the tail end of last year or a case of the players up-ing their game? I still think there was some of the Chelsea/Leicester mentality at the club where the players for a long period downed tools in the hope RF would get punted, when that failed to materialise and they realised they had to perform or its relegation they did so - unfortunately just too late in the day. There is no way we would have lost 3-0 away to Hamilton in Feb which was the turning point if the players showed the fight they did towards the end.

15 hours ago, Pele_Is_God said:

Rice is an excellent coach. Manager is the problem...

I have often heard it said that Rice is an excellent coach, very probably by people who are much better informed on the subject than I am.

My problem is that I have seldom, if ever, seen any evidence of it in matches.

By some of the logic here Scott was coaching during our top 3 finish, Europe, League Cup final and Scottish Cup win. Presumably he's not going to suddenly become a bad coach, so what's changed since then? Manager's yes and the players. 

Fact is that the players we have now are nowhere near at the level we had even 2 seasons ago. Coaching and leadership can of course improve a player but quite honestly who have we brought in since Butcher left who has really added to the squad? It's a very very short list. 

I accept that those that know much more about what goes on behind the scenes at the club tend on the whole, to have a less than positive view on the contribution Russell Latapy made while he was here.

However, from my position of almost total ignorance, I still find it difficult to overlook the objective fact that when John Hughes first took over our form and success nose dived but began to improve almost immediately after Latapy's arrival and steadily improved throughout the period he was involved culminating in our Scottish Cup triumph our highest ever league finish and a place in Europe for the only time in our history

Immediately after he left our decline began and has persisted ever since. If that is merely coincidence it does seem a very odd one.

• Agree 2

It is a coincidence. Latapy was seldom there and those who seem to be falling over themselves to try and portray him as some sort of coaching maestro have become tiresome in the extreme.

He had nothing to do with our success that season. Nothing. 

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Renegade said:

It is a coincidence. Latapy was seldom there and those who seem to be falling over themselves to try and portray him as some sort of coaching maestro have become tiresome in the extreme.

He had nothing to do with our success that season. Nothing. 

If Latapy had little part in our success, then it must have been Kellacher & Rice, which is odd considering the poor form under Foran and no Robbo of which they are still part. Therefore based on all that the only one not mentioned in out of Latapy, Kellacher, Rice, Foran & Robbo is Yogi - so he must have been the mastermind behind our success afterall? 

Yogi is a good manager if you have a settled team - that's what Yogi had and he added to it when he brought Greg Tansey back, who would've known a few of players anyway.  It's when he has to re-build a side though that things start unravelling, as we saw at Hibs and grinding out results isn't really his forte.  Despite having one of the biggest budgets ever here, he was unable to scout players capable of truly replacing the likes of Watkins, as well as misguidingly blowing parts of the budget on hapless midfielders like Liam Hughes when we were in dire need of another striker.

In 2014-15, Yogi was the right manager at the right time.  He had a settled squad and was able to implement his style of football with some very good players to give it the cutting edge it needed.  We and he took advantage of that window of opportunity but it quickly closed.  Good on him though for taking it when he had a chance.

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, bdu98196 said:

If Latapy had little part in our success, then it must have been Kellacher & Rice, which is odd considering the poor form under Foran and no Robbo of which they are still part. Therefore based on all that the only one not mentioned in out of Latapy, Kellacher, Rice, Foran & Robbo is Yogi - so he must have been the mastermind behind our success afterall? 

No great fan of his but he has to take a great deal of credit for our success. He was the manager after all.

However, that has to be balanced by the fact that due to his poor man management, abysmal recruitment and personal arrogance and avarice, he also bears a great deal of responsibility for our subsequent demise 

It's an interesting topic, everyone seems to say we are not getting the basics right - surely that's a coaches job? The flip side is if quality of the players were poor, the failure can hardly be blamed on a coach.  Trouble is, we had quality players last year and we couldn't get the basics right, which maybe points a finger? 

This year we may have both a lack of quality and poor coaches. 

I think that perhaps when people call Brian Rice a good coach they must be confusing him with Pat. 

He's evidently not. There is no evidence to support this claim. It's complete hear say. Probably spread by friends in the industry. Old boys act. And then fans hearing that he's supposedly good spread it without question. 

Even on the chance that he is good (he's not) he certainly isn't a good fit at Inverness. He's the one common denominator in our fall since arriving. It's not a coincidence that 3 separate managers have struggled alongside him. Get rid. 

As for Latapy, perhaps he wasn't a significant reason for our success, but even if he offered nothing it'd be a hell of a lot more than Rice. Hughes wasn't exactly happy to see him.leave so I am going to side on the notion that he offered a little more than some claim (again through rumour). 

• Disagree 1

Maybe they should have got rid of Rice and Kellacher when Foran got the dunt and kept Duncan Shearer instead? He was a good number 2 to Patterson and seems to have had a good eye on youth players, did Christie, Ross and Polworth not come through his teams? I have never known a situation before where a club has had three different managers but keep the same coaches! Surely they must be accountable for the fitness and coaching the players to the standard that the club requires.