Scotty

24 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

I am not sure that any new board members need to bring capital with them.

What we badly need is at least someone on the board with a depth of footballing knowledge.

Are you another Tulloch employee?

"Dumbarton Football Club belongs to all of you... we, the people who play for and manage are passing through. This being football, one day we will all move on, but you will still be here, because it's your club.”

Ian Murray, 4th May 2013, after keeping DFC in Division 1 against heavy odds.

:clapoverhead:

• tm4tj changed the title to Dumbarton -V- Invernehttp://caleythistleonline.com/topic/31651-dumbarton-v-inverness-ct/ss CT
6 hours ago, cif73 said:

For me Robbo's comment are a breath of fresh air. With Foran there was too much tip toeing around what was really going on, and seldom did he criticise the players until it was too late. 

Like any manager when results aren't going well, Robbo is not blameless, but a lot of what he's saying is correct. It's basic errors that seem to be killing us. Allowing an attacker to score a rebound from a free-kick whilst totally unmarked is schoolboy stuff, and many goals we've conceded seem to be of a similar mold. 

Ultimately though, there's clearly an issue with psychology and the mentality of the team as a whole. Do we lack leaders? Warren is (or at least was) someone who could rally the troops, but maybe all he's been through with the club in terms of relegation has affected his motivation. Tremarco is an experienced player who we need on the pitch to help motivate his team mates as much as we need his quality as a player. The off-field problems with the board in recent times can't help either. Robbo is most certainly a motivator, and he has a huge task on his hands to be able to improve the teams confidence and turn our season around. 

Edited by lightwelter
  • Agree 1
  • Facepalm 1

4 minutes ago, lightwelter said:

For me Robbo's comment are a breath of fresh air. With Foran there was too much tip toeing around what was really going on, and seldom did he criticise the players until it was too late. 

Sorry, what? Foran was switching between praising the players then slagging them off several months before the end of the season.

I've no issue with the manager criticising the players but I think it's always better if it's done behind closed doors. Sometimes it gets into the public domain. Fine, fair enough. But for the manager to have already slated the team publicly at least 3 times this early in the season is something I don't think we've ever had before. Robbo is as much to blame for the teams form as the players are so maybe he should fire some criticism his way. It is Robertson who has signed these players some of whom are known to not be good enough at this level. It is Robertson that plays them out of position or when they are out of form. It is Robertson who has been pig headed and refused to drop under performing players which has been detrimental to our current situation. When does he start taking some of the blame himself?

1 hour ago, RiG said:

Sorry, what? Foran was switching between praising the players then slagging them off several months before the end of the season.

I've no issue with the manager criticising the players but I think it's always better if it's done behind closed doors. Sometimes it gets into the public domain. Fine, fair enough. But for the manager to have already slated the team publicly at least 3 times this early in the season is something I don't think we've ever had before. Robbo is as much to blame for the teams form as the players are so maybe he should fire some criticism his way. It is Robertson who has signed these players some of whom are known to not be good enough at this level. It is Robertson that plays them out of position or when they are out of form. It is Robertson who has been pig headed and refused to drop under performing players which has been detrimental to our current situation. When does he start taking some of the blame himself?

Keeps playing underperforming players? He dropped Ridgers...

• Scotty changed the title to Dumbarton -V- Inverness CT

I never quite know what to read into these outbursts.  Sometimes it's just a bit of honest frustration whilst at others it's a carefully calculated coded message.  On this occasion I guess it's a bit of both.  I have little doubt that he is royally p***ed with the attitude of a minority of players, if not a majority.  If he has failed to get an improvement behind closed doors then going public is maybe fair enough.  It's a risky strategy though and he needs to make sure that he publicly praises the lads if and when the attitude improves.  It's also risky because there will some who do not deserve public criticism who will feel that their effort is not being recognised.  

I get the sense that he is acknowledging that all is not rosy in the dressing room and perhaps elsewhere in the club.  The idea of him being prepared to make a sacrifice is effectively saying to the Board, "back me or sack me".  But it's also saying to the players that he's not asking them to give their effort for him, he's asking them to give it to the team.  The team is the important thing whether he is here or not..

I also get from what he said that he is not thinking of quitting.  He's maybe making it very easy for the Board to sack him and he might not be too sorry if that happened, but I don't think he'll quit.  He's saying that whilst he's still here he will give his all for the club and he expects his players to do the same too.

• Agree 3

Robertson knows that he needs to get a reaction from his players, whether this works or not depends on how they take it. You would hope that most would take it on board and try as a group to iron out the mistakes, but there could be a few that will take the huff. At the open night, Robbo said that a lot of the new signings had never played first team football before, so maybe a lot of them are just not first team players, and this is as good as they are going to get, and the reality of the situation is becoming very obvious to him now. I don't think he will walk, as it's his team, he signed most of the players, and his reputation will take a hit, but with the Houston sacking, he knows his jacket is on a suggely peg if the next few games don't go our way.

9 hours ago, jingsmonty said:

Keeps playing underperforming players? He dropped Ridgers...

Bold move after playing poorly in basically every game so far this season and costing us several goals with the errors he made.

Not all the blame goes to Ridgers, playing behind a shaky defence and a disciplined one make a hell of a difference to a Keeper's performance. He made some good stops in his time with us but unfortunately wasn't skilled enough in the basics.

I. e. Handling, interception of crosses, positioning, awareness of attack opportunities with clearances and commanding the box with voice and action. Analyse that and the conclusions must be not listening to the Coaches or failure on the part of the Coaching staff. Or as his report card might have said at school ''He has the ability but does not put it into practice''

Its all very well coming out and criticising the players, maybe some think it acts as a boot up the arse, but I'm less convinced. Maybe the odd individual on rare occasion but to slate the team & players regularly does little good and not only speeds up loosing the dressing room but also turns the fans - its tiresome and smacks of desperation. Ultimately if the players, team, tactics, fitness are not good enough it stops with the manager - he picks and recruits them. In the real world if a manager starts making excuses for failure of his product or service based on the staff the questions will ultimately come back to him that he recruited, trained and entrusted these people - i.e. he is paid to be responsible.

We talk about low morale in the club and lack of unity - can it be a surprise, look at guys like OFW & Raven - they are part of the 'old' crew but one day they are told to go they're not wanted, next they are back in. New guys arrive being told established players will be going, expecting to get into the team only for guys to stay. There's probably a mistrust of everything going on, guys uncertain as to their roles and various individuals being singled out by the manager, media and fans.

What happens now - for example - Ridgers dropped and publicly its been stated he had 10 games and was crap, his confidence is shot based on poor displays and now being out of the team, we bring in a guy who was told to go he had no future in OFW. Are the defence breathing a sigh of relief, they have avoided the blame and a scapegoat is found? What OFW has a few bad games or gets injured - does Ridgers come back in, but the defence know he is a liability so where is their confidence and the player himself is told he isn't good enough.

Its a mess and getting worse.

• Agree 3

" I don't think he will walk, as it's his team, he signed most of the players, and his reputation will take a hit" 

What reputation is that? He has done nothing since he left us the first time, im not so sure Robbo has much of a reputation as a manager, and as i said on another thread, the last time he was here he had Donald Park beside,he doesnt have that this time and its clear  he is struggling. 

• Agree 1

Lack of fitness may be an issue but I would say lack of ability is more concerning.  Even average players should have the skill, vision and intelligence to avoid  having to run about like headless chickens for 90 mins. It's basic Primary School coaching, make the ball do the work. When was the last time any of our opponents looked tired after an hour?

• tm4tj unpinned this topic