Robertson Out

The board's ludicrous "give the manager's job to someone who didn't even apply" experiment has failed. Robbo is a good guy but he is not what we need - the defence needs sorted out first and foremost and he is not the man to do it. The coaches can pack their bags as well. 

I don't think that we will finish bottom this season and thus be relegated automatically. Fortunately for us, Brechin appear to be out of their depth in this division and will probably occupy that place.

However, under the current manager and coaches, I can increasingly imagine us having to play off to avoid successive demotions. That will be no easy task as, unlike the Premiership, these play offs are not rigged in favour of the side from the higher tier.

I don't think action needs to be taken just yet but if things do not improve substantially over the next half dozen matches or so a decision has to be made.

However, there will be a financial dilemma. Can we afford to terminate the contract of yet another manager ? Or, given the consequences of carrying on regardless like last season, can we afford not to.

It was a strange move and a huge gamble to appoint a manager who had been out of the game for a decade and who had failed in his last two positions. Sadly, as he seems a decent and personable man, it looks more and more like that gamble has backfired

A club of our size has no divine right to success and a place in the top league but I do think we have the right to expect better than being humbled and humiliated by Dunfermline and to suffer successive losses to Livingston and Dumbarton.

• Agree 3

The board has let the club down appointing a manager out of the game for as long as Robertson has, acquisitions have been very poor and players kept on are not showing their seniority in the squad.  Genuinely think we will be lucky to stay up at this rate.  Change is needed sooner rather than later! 

8 minutes ago, bughtmaster said:

Loan signings for the defence and a scorer up front wanted immediately. Come on Board you said we were going back to the Premier. Do something about it now.

Hopefully sometime but, where ever we're going this season, it certainly doesn't look like back to the Premier.

8 minutes ago, Tree said:

Rumour is that Robertson is refusing to take on board advice from both Chipper and  other coaches

Not surprising that a situation like that would arise when a manager is not given the option of bringing in his own men.

Normally I'm not one to hit the button and call for a managers head and on several times I've said we need to give Robbo time to bed in the 13 new signings and cope with a similar number of departures however it's starting to appear more understandable why Robbo was out of the managerial profession for so long. 

Now I'm eternally grateful for the job he did last time around but he inherited a very good nucleus of talent and was able to find the right players to supplement that (Bingham, Keogh and Hislop etc). He hasn't had that luxury this time around and I'm not sure if he's capable of building from scratch. 

I also think that we've been on a complete downward trajectory since Rice came in and he seems to have avoided any accountability for the failures of the last 3 seasons under 3 different managers. 

So it's unfortunate but I'm beginning to think that Robbo might be coming to the end. And I don't think there's many who continue to back him. I'm sure most would rather he's able.to turn it round but that might not happen. 

I remember Stevie Aitken's name being bandied about as a good choice for our manager in the summer - that's looking like it might have been a good move now...

Like Council Juice said, I'm grateful for the job Robbo did 1st time around - have some great memories of that period in our history. I'm unconvinced this time around (to say the least) that he will achieve such heights again. 

Far too early for knee jerk reactions to a bog-awful start to the season..certainly, we persevered too long with Foran last season. Robbo's main problem is that his signings haven't performed (Ridgers springs to mind - there are others too).

I would hope that Robbo brings through some promising youth players sooner rather than later, that would be a move in the right direction.

We desparately need to get the defence sorted out ASAFP, that's for sure - if it means playing a promising youngster (and I don't mean Eldson!), so be it - Robbo has shown he isn't afraid to make changes (didn't see him dropping Ridgers for OFW, for one), so lets start with the defence - it's leakier than my old garden shed's rotten roof...Warren being suspended, although it sounds like it may be ripe for appeal - not sure, as I wasn't at the game (luckily for me, I was working..), may be an opportunity for a new, young & fresh face.

Only area we look half decent in right now is midfield...

Decisions around management and coaching staff have been shambolic since October 2015. Hughes wanted away to United - let him go, take the cash and let Rice go with him. Instead, we end up paying him and going for the cheap option of Foran. Nightmare. Then too late on sacking him, not only to avoid relegation, but also to bring in somebody new to have a chance of recruiting before the best have gone. Finally (too late), we opt for a man who didn't want the job and was left with the dregs to bring in to replace quality leaving the house. You really couldn't write this sh!te: It's known as compound errors; laughable, except that our cup winning club will soon be condemned to part -time football.

Robbo is and never was the answer, but right now, the Club doesn't even seem to know the question.

4 minutes ago, IBM said:

Foran was NOT a cheap option at over £100k a year on a four year contract!  Now because of that we have Robertson who is the cheap option :sad:

In hindsight, IBM, you are right, but I can't believe that Foran's wage was as high as an experienced manager might have been. The problem was the 4 years: Who's bright spark idea was that?! A 6 month probation like in any other job would have been sufficient to establish that he didn't have a scooby.

54 minutes ago, jingsmonty said:

I remember Stevie Aitken's name being bandied about as a good choice for our manager in the summer - that's looking like it might have been a good move now...

Like Council Juice said, I'm grateful for the job Robbo did 1st time around - have some great memories of that period in our history. I'm unconvinced this time around (to say the least) that he will achieve such heights again. 

Far too early for knee jerk reactions to a bog-awful start to the season..certainly, we persevered too long with Foran last season. Robbo's main problem is that his signings haven't performed (Ridgers springs to mind - there are others too).

I would hope that Robbo brings through some promising youth players sooner rather than later, that would be a move in the right direction.

We desparately need to get the defence sorted out ASAFP, that's for sure - if it means playing a promising youngster (and I don't mean Eldson!), so be it - Robbo has shown he isn't afraid to make changes (didn't see him dropping Ridgers for OFW, for one), so lets start with the defence - it's leakier than my old garden shed's rotten roof...Warren being suspended, although it sounds like it may be ripe for appeal - not sure, as I wasn't at the game (luckily for me, I was working..), may be an opportunity for a new, young & fresh face.

Only area we look half decent in right now is midfield...

I don't think sendings off due to two yellow cards can be appealed.

Edited by Robert

9 hours ago, MuirtownJaggy said:

Not sure Robbo is the type of person to walk awAy.......

Did he not do that at least twice, at C##nty and East Fife?

I have been told on good authority that the players won't play for him and that Terry Butcher is waiting in the wings to take over. It just gets worse!

Terry Butcher again?  Where does that rumour originate from, pray? Seems Bizarre. Even if there was any truth to it , even a glimmer,  I would imagine that any fan who remembers  his history, in order to secure a move. would be sufficient reason to move on really quickly from wasting thoughts on him as a realistic prospect.

• Agree 1

Let’s not forget that the first time around Robbo had Donald Park with him, and plenty of players from that time rated Parkie as the best coach they ever worked with. Robbo has done nothing since then and that time with Park. Maybe he was the brains? Maybe it was Park who was actually the difference ? 

• Agree 1

• tm4tj locked this topic
  • tm4tj unpinned and unlocked this topic