Robertson Out

On 28/09/2017 at 9:49 PM, Huisdean said:

Not a fan of Roy McGregor but at least he makes decisions quickly and leads from the front, something sadly lacking from our board in recent seasons.

Or he treats County as his personal property...depends on your point of view, I suppose...

1 hour ago, PumpFake said:

We need to act now or our club will be part time by this time next year. Falkirk acted, County acted - does our chairman have the balls?

Not just the Chairman who has to decide, but if he thinks it'll make people like him he'll support it as that's what he's all about.

He's like the wee ginger kid at school with no mates who was always doing what the big boys said so they'd let him hang with them.

Maybe send him an email telling him how fantastic he is and that you know he'll do the right thing. He seems to like that and even if the don't get rid of Robbo, you might get a boardroom invite like others who have done the same.

1 hour ago, Downinthedumps said:

I am no Robertson fan but any new manager coming in would have to be a magician to improve our position with our current squad. You can't make honey out of hens sh##e.?

Erm, he signed most of the players that make up the squad. 

4 hours ago, Downinthedumps said:

I am no Robertson fan but any new manager coming in would have to be a magician to improve our position with our current squad. You can't make honey out of hens sh##e.?

Time and time again when a manager is sacked the players suddenly seem interested again and start getting results. The dressing room is clearly lacking drive and is therefore probably "lost". The right manager can turn that around, as was seen with St. Mirren in this league last year.

I appreciate the financial difficulties, although the financial difficulties of not doing so may be greater but, if we get rid of the manager, we need to get rid of Rice and Kellacher as well.

They have been part of the problem for too long now under too many different managers to be part of the solution.

Any new manager need to be able to bring in his own choice of assistant and first team coach. The ship is too broken now to be able to fix just by swapping the figurehead and hoping for the best.

• Agree 4

Yesterday was not brilliant in terms of entertainment or results but an optimist could argue it was a start in terms of a better defence. Vigurs was quite inspired as a captain but we lacked any cutting edge up front. As we reflect on the last 15 months we see a club buckling behind the scenes and of course on the pitch. It took some time for someone to work out a deal with Richie. There was a clear fear about money. Senior players wanted to move. Eventually a new chairman emerged, eventually a new manager emerged, there was no Donald Park to help him, eventually he managed to recruit a squad of players and to be fair, these players have potential. It was not good planning by the club so it remains quite unfair to ask John to go just now or have his contract terminated. He is working probably as hard as he has ever worked in management with a range of problems including the high expectations of supporters who have enjoyed the journey as we punched above our weight. Yesterday showed a little bit of stability in this storm. Not many people will expect us to pick up any points in our next 3 games during October. Few will expect us to beat Peterhead. Some of our greatest performances are in adversity. 

• Agree 5

2 hours ago, jingsmonty said:

With little time & a miniscule budget with a relegated team & a club in turmoil, it has to be said

He will have known the financial constraints when he got invited along for a chat and he will also have been well aware of the time pressures to assemble a squad.

3 hours ago, RiG said:

He will have known the financial constraints when he got invited along for a chat and he will also have been well aware of the time pressures to assemble a squad.

I'm sure he would have taken the job on with his eyes open, but still doesn't change the facts...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jingsmonty said:

I'm sure he would have taken the job on with his eyes open, but still doesn't change the facts...

Which seem to be

Recruitment has been poor with many substandard players - he should have known that some like Ridgers, Cooper, Calder, Chalmers, Baird have had chances at this level and higher before and failed miserably 

Tactically he seems incapable of working his best formation to get the best out of his squad/team

Cant motivate the team or get them united - seems to have alienated some of the established members like Raven, OFW which probably has helped loose the dressing room as the players clearly don't 'play' for him

Questions over his training methods and player fitness with many not being able to last a full 90mins - and its not down to us playing high intensity football either

Public criticism and handling of players - telling OFW to leave and that he wasn't part of the plans, then drop Ridgers after 10 games calling him not good enough to only U-turn on OFW. Its a mess how the man management & public interaction has been

We are almost quarter of the season gone - some of these should be resolved by now, but we seem to be getting worse. Those with alternative views are entitled to have them, but the facts are that one the blinkers are taken off and the historic ICT love fest for Robbo removed, he has so far been as dross as some of his signings. 

• Agree 5

8 hours ago, jingsmonty said:

Facts that he will have been well aware of when he was being offered the job. @bdu98196 details his failings so far pretty well. I'm not calling for his resignation but I think folk need to take the blinkers off and realise that despite the fact we were in a bad nick before the performance of Robbo as manager so far has hardly been encouraging. I'm struggling to think of anything positive he has brought so far.

7 hours ago, bdu98196 said:

Which seem to be

Recruitment has been poor with many substandard players - he should have known that some like Ridgers, Cooper, Calder, Chalmers, Baird have had chances at this level and higher before and failed miserably 

Tactically he seems incapable of working his best formation to get the best out of his squad/team

Cant motivate the team or get them united - seems to have alienated some of the established members like Raven, OFW which probably has helped loose the dressing room as the players clearly don't 'play' for him

Questions over his training methods and player fitness with many not being able to last a full 90mins - and its not down to us playing high intensity football either

Public criticism and handling of players - telling OFW to leave and that he wasn't part of the plans, then drop Ridgers after 10 games calling him not good enough to only U-turn on OFW. Its a mess how the man management & public interaction has been

We are almost quarter of the season gone - some of these should be resolved by now, but we seem to be getting worse. Those with alternative views are entitled to have them, but the facts are that one the blinkers are taken off and the historic ICT love fest for Robbo removed, he has so far been as dross as some of his signings. 

These are all fair points (particularly the man-management & fitness side of things, both of which I have serious concerns about), but the facts still remain that Robbo had to put a team together, at short notice & with a miniscule budget.

Not a 'Robbo love fest' by any means & if things don't improve soon, I wouldn't be sorry to see him go. Just saying, lets not go overboard & start shouting 'Robbo out' - as I said in another thread, we are hardly an attractive prospect for a manager just now & we would still have the same squad anyway..

4 minutes ago, jingsmonty said:

These are all fair points (particularly the man-management & fitness side of things, both of which I have serious concerns about), but the facts still remain that Robbo had to put a team together, at short notice & with a miniscule budget.

And the fact still remains that he was fully aware that he would have to do this if he took the job. It's not like he took over with a gargantuan squad that was suddenly depleted and the club lost all its money.

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, PumpFake said:

Three cIean sheets in a row since I wrote the OP I think. Credit where it's due - if that pattern continues we're half way there.  

Maybe not half way but we have certainly made a start. Robbo needs to be given at least until the end of November to see whether he can build on that start.

If he can, and I'm sure we all hope he can, well and good. If not, we can't afford to make the same mistake as last season.

At the very least though, the manager has bought himself more time and deserves the right to be able to make use of that time for now.

• Agree 1