Robertson Out

Robbo was never the man for the job. I feel for him as he is a top bloke but he is not the man we need at the helm. I have always been a fan of Hartley and I think he could be the man to inject some passion back into the side as it has been lacking ever since we won the cup. 

• Agree 2
  • Confused 2

On 23/09/2017 at 7:07 PM, Ten4 said:

Still too early really for all this drama! But hold onto your seats nevertheless.

Never too early for some drama!...just look at Palace! 4 games and FdB's a gonna, we have an utterly ***** goalie, I've seen some comical defending, we came out of the transfer window with just one fit senior striker....who's now injured, it's like home from home supporting ICT and Palace...but at least you guys have seen some goals scored by the Caley...Ooh what I'd give to see one from Palace!

Must admit I wonder if Robbo's up for it, or whether it's the rest of the coaching staff who are crap. I quite like the tough words from Robbo about the players performances and attitude, although that's usually a short sentence away from 'losing the changing room'!

It's all very well saying 'Robertson out', but then what? We are a struggling championship club, that's where we're at. Hardly an attractive proposition.

Problem is (Foran & Brewster 2nd time apart, possibly Yogi) is we've usually changed manager as a result of success - they have moved on. We aren't used to having a manager come in to a dire situation like Robbo has had to deal with - I think anybody coming in this season would have had a hard job. Reduced budgets, making it nigh on impossible to get the best signings & attract them up to the Highlands, amongst other issues.

If we had gone down the route that we had gone down before (young manager trying to make a name for themselves), the forum would have been up in arms about how we need experience. After last season with Foran, I wouldn't necessarily disagree with that!

We certainly should be questioning signings/tactics, etc, but too early yet to be thinking about changing manager. That time may come yet, as I said before, things need to improve soon - certainly should be thinking seriously if things are still not improved by Christmas..

• Agree 2
  • Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, jagster said:

Jim McIntyre has been sacked by County 

And that is why Ross County are a premier league team (and will probably remain one) ... and we aren't. When tough business decisions need to be made for the long-term good of the club, there is no messing about ... even when it is a cup winning manager.

Robertson's failed to restore confidence to the side, and during the 2nd half on Saturday they showed a lack of desire and a loss of discipline. Some of his signings are so out of their depth (Ridgers, Elsdon, Chalmers, Oakley) that there is no trust between the players. He's changing the shape almost every week and never influences a game through substitutions or tactical changes.  

I'd take Houston or McIntyre in a minute. 

• Agree 2

I like Robbo as a guy but this has been a disaster so far.  A lot of my reservations about his appointment have come to pass.  He hasn't managed a full time club in years and it shows - his tactics went out of fashion a decade ago while his signings have been rotten.  If say, Terry Butcher made 13 signings over a summer, about eight would be good, three would be alright and then there'd be two duds.  This season the opposite looks to be true.  Ridgers, Elsdon, Chalmers, Cooper, Baird, Oakley and Zschusschen all look absolutely dire, while only Seedorf, Bell and Trafford look decent and all three are still pretty raw especially the last two.  Calder looked reasonable at times before disappearing and Elbouzedi looked good against Forres before getting injured against Elgin and not being seen since.  And even then he is still an unknown quantity.

I wasn't too keen on Danny Lennon but he'd have unquestionably been better than Robbo.  Many people on here were opposed to Paul Sheerin but I think he'd have been alright after seeing his Colts team a few weeks back - they were quick, attacking and looked very well drilled.  Stevie Aitken was apparently keen on the job too and as we saw on Saturday, his part time team looked far more organised than we did.  I wonder if the minority of those who were happy with Robbo's appointment ("He did well last time!" "He's won the First Division and Danny Lennon hasn't!") are having second thoughts now.

54 minutes ago, Alan said:

Robertson admits himself that he is perhaps on borrowed time. Wouldn't it be better if he left of his own accord rather than the humiliation of being sacked?  

He has a track record of doing just that when the going gets tough so may well do so.

Robertson has been thrown in at the deep end here. He has been handed down the remains of our squad from a poor season under Foran. He has little or no budget and yet we expect him to work miracles. That's not going to happen. Granted some of the signings are poor. But what did you really expect. If you pay peanuts you get monkeys. None of these signings would have been good enough to sustain us in the top division. Let's be clear here, we/I am talking about Donaldson, Elsdon, Chalmers, Oakley, Susan, Cooper. There's probably more, but off the top of my head, that's the ones who stand out. Ridgers has been getting a lot of stick, and rightly so, but a lot of his problems are the guys immediately in front of him. Robbo has to play guys who are no longer at the top of their game and who are merely going through the motions. David Raven and Gary Warren have seen better days, Brad Mckay is a permanent bombscare. Tremarco has been hindered by injuries and is exempt. Jake Mulraney has been hugely disappointing and it all points to an attitude issue. Liam Polworth is finally showing some form if played in the right place and Iain Vigurs is a bit of a luxury that has plenty of class but little determination or leadership. Baird is unlikely to be a top striker, as has been proven over the years although he could be a useful foil. 

For me only Trafford, Polworth, Tremarco and Bell are worth using. Owain Fon Williams if he can get his head in the right place, the same goes for Vigurs. The rest are deluded.

So, blame Robbo if you believe that's where the problem lies. I believe it is much deeper rooted than that and if the board will not back him with a few bob, then he might as well walk away before his CV is tarnished by these guys loitering without intent and masquerading as footballers. 

I won't be sticking any knives into Robbo just yet, but without some backing then he will eventually go the same way as McIntyre, Foran, Houston..........

• Agree 3
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, tm4tj said:

Robertson has been thrown in at the deep end here. He has been handed down the remains of our squad from a poor season under Foran. He has little or no budget and yet we expect him to work miracles. That's not going to happen. Granted some of the signings are poor. But what did you really expect. If you pay peanuts you get monkeys. None of these signings would have been good enough to sustain us in the top division. Let's be clear here, we/I am talking about Donaldson, Elsdon, Chalmers, Oakley, Susan, Cooper. There's probably more, but off the top of my head, that's the ones who stand out. Ridgers has been getting a lot of stick, and rightly so, but a lot of his problems are the guys immediately in front of him. Robbo has to play guys who are no longer at the top of their game and who are merely going through the motions. David Raven and Gary Warren have seen better days, Brad Mckay is a permanent bombscare. Tremarco has been hindered by injuries and is exempt. Jake Mulraney has been hugely disappointing and it all points to an attitude issue. Liam Polworth is finally showing some form if played in the right place and Iain Vigurs is a bit of a luxury that has plenty of class but little determination or leadership. Baird is unlikely to be a top striker, as has been proven over the years although he could be a useful foil. 

For me only Trafford, Polworth, Tremarco and Bell are worth using. Owain Fon Williams if he can get his head in the right place, the same goes for Vigurs. The rest are deluded.

So, blame Robbo if you believe that's where the problem lies. I believe it is much deeper rooted than that and if the board will not back him with a few bob, then he might as well walk away before his CV is tarnished by these guys loitering without intent and masquerading as footballers. 

I won't be sticking any knives into Robbo just yet, but without some backing then he will eventually go the same way as McIntyre, Foran, Houston..........

Very valid point & whilst it could be argued that a lot of these players are Robbo signings, can't help feeling his hands were tied due to the miniscule budget & the difficulty of attracting players north (without the sort of cash that County can splash) - Robbo spoke about this at the open night.

Still, at the end of the day, he DID sign a lot of the players & he has to take responsibility for that - far too early to be talking about sacking him though, typical knee-jerk reaction which would leave the club with the same squad & rudderless (without much prospect of attracting a decent gaffer, either).

5 hours ago, Caley Stan said:

Robertson's failed to restore confidence to the side, and during the 2nd half on Saturday they showed a lack of desire and a loss of discipline. Some of his signings are so out of their depth (Ridgers, Elsdon, Chalmers, Oakley) that there is no trust between the players. He's changing the shape almost every week and never influences a game through substitutions or tactical changes.  

I'd take Houston or McIntyre in a minute. 

Houston won't come up here-think he was semi-retired when he took the Falkirk job on, only took it due to his attachment to Falkirk).

On 24/09/2017 at 11:31 AM, MuirtownJaggy said:

Our next 3 games.....QOS, Falkirk, DUtd..... Can we see ourselves getting points from any of those games. Falkirk possibly given their current league position, but what happens if we are no better or worse off after 10 games in ? Is it time to give youth a chance, all be it some are on loan at other clubs. They might just gave the motivation and desire to win that others clearly don't !!!!!!

Definetly time to blood some of the youngsters - not all at once, obviously, but sooner rather than later - some of our squad need the competition for their place!

• tm4tj locked this topic
  • tm4tj unpinned and unlocked this topic