Robertson Out

• 5 months later...
On 23/09/2017 at 4:44 PM, PumpFake said:

The board's ludicrous "give the manager's job to someone who didn't even apply" experiment has failed. Robbo is a good guy but he is not what we need - the defence needs sorted out first and foremost and he is not the man to do it. The coaches can pack their bags as well. 

PumpFake - Thankfully, you are not the Chairman. LOL

TBH, he partially had a point - given our defence was honking for much of the first 1/3 of the season and leaking like a sieve. Also the stats of only an we were sitting with 6 wins in 22 games, 3 off against Brechin and 11 of the goals scored which by early March was 26 games with 31 goals for and only 8 wins for our 31 points. Its clear that the 2nd third wasn't a whole lot better. Its not until this last run of 10 games have seen any real stability or improvement. 

Surely the priority for any manager coming in should have been competing for the title with being in the play-offs a minimum requirement. While still possible its unlikely and just papering over cracks - we have been poorer than acceptable for much of the season.  

Would others have done better - probably, but given the mess the board made of handling players and management during the summer we probably didn't have the time and stability nor the cash ultimately to recruit the best candidate opting for a cheap but safe option. 

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Caman said:

PumpFake - Thankfully, you are not the Chairman. LOL

The target laid down by the board was a return to the premiership...so in that regard the original statement is correct.

That's, by no means, an indicator of my thoughts on Robbo and the job he's done/is doing.

• Disagree 1
  • Facepalm 2

35 minutes ago, CaleyD said:

The target laid down by the board was a return to the premiership...so in that regard the original statement is correct.

That's, by no means, an indicator of my thoughts on Robbo and the job he's done/is doing.

But, just as you insinuated the Administration Rumour on to the Announcement thread ("hypotherically", of course), you thought you would just insert this snidey wee negative, also with its "save my own backside" qualification, on to this one...... 

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Charles Bannerman said:

But, just as you insinuated the Administration Rumour on to the Announcement thread ("hypotherically", of course), you thought you would just insert this snidey wee negative, also with its "save my own backside" qualification, on to this one...... 

I appear to have got my own wee stalker....how cute!

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Charles Bannerman said:

"Snidey wee negative". Talk about pots and kettles.

• Facepalm 1

To be fair on Robertson to me he done really well with a team of not the best players  for a lot of them hoping to get promoted this season was not possible because for most of the season we had no player who was  a real striker if we had 1 or 2 of them this league would be fully different story and the defence was for a lot of it very poor which none of these things played out well overall. I could be wrong but I do believe strongly that some of the football refs if you like may prefer  St-Mirren I did find when I watched some of the high lights of matches that I felt some of the football refs were if you like against caley. To me it may be better for the short term good of Caley to stay one more season in the Championship so money can go up and other improvements can be made at the club.

• Facepalm 1

Oh, poor Charles.  Please admin, DON'T ban him.  I often think that CaleyThistleOnline can be compared to a pseudohistorical British sitcom....something akin to Blackadder....and where would it be without it's Baldrick!!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2
  • Facepalm 1

23 hours ago, Charles Bannerman said:

Not sure if this will post or not as unsure if banned but.....

I see your still up to your old moronic ways Charlie boy.

Adios again.

Robertson came into a situation where he has to scrabble about to put a team on the pitch, having to sign players from YouTube videos or on agents say so. It meant we couldn’t really get a team straightened out until a quarter of the way through the season by which point we’d dropped so far behind that it was almost insurmountable.

Also, some of the players signed didn’t gel into the team earlier -Ridgers, Oakley and Chalmers for example, improved as the season went on and Austin was injured almost immediately in January, 

On ‎26‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 3:58 PM, CaleyD said:

No point trying to argue, there's so many fans who always see that an ex-ICT manager or player (if in favour) can never do wrong or be criticised, in some ways like OF fans they are always happy if its a 'club man'.

Being objective, we performed well in the final third of the season and won the Challenge Cup, but the key target should have been Promotion or at least Play-off's - there wasn't an extended cup run in either competition and in both we went out meekly to opponents who were no better than us. The start of the season was awful with the first third embarrassing given our budget and playing quality, the 2nd third was an improvement but while we stopped conceding it was hardly a substantial points total accumulated. 

While there's not calls for Robbo to leave or be replaced it has to be acknowledged as a poor season, some of it from the mess the board created but also from appointing a manager who has been out of the game so long. Some may see that as an excuse or reason but Robbo knew as did the board the status and expectations they had taken on. 

Only the biggest 'fanboys' can think that for the relegated team with the quantity of Premiership experience we have and the playing budget finishing where we have is still a successful season. Those citing it as a good stepping stone for next year need to understand the financial situation and the levels of player we will loose and have to replace - promotion or play-offs next year may be a bigger challenge than the one just past. 

• Agree 3