Sign in to follow this  
Caman

Robertson - Worst ICT Manager ever!!!!!!!

Recommended Posts

Not a question, but a statement. 

Either he is sacked or he has to resign.

Players he has brought in are total c**p, (maybe with the odd exception like Trafford)

I now dread going to matches!!!!!

  • Disagree 2
  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Caman said:

Not a question, but a statement. 

Either he is sacked or he has to resign.

Players he has brought in are total c**p, (maybe with the odd exception like Trafford)

I now dread going to matches!!!!!

Your choice! Worse than Foran, I doubt it.

  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Steady on.  

This time round it sadly looks as though Robbo's yesterday's man but you can't just forget what he did first time round.   It's been an utter shambles since he came back in June and we'd be better off with another manager, however the joy of that promotion winning season in 2004 can't be forgotten.  Foran and Baltacha still below him.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mikeyrob73 said:

Nope that would still be Foran. 

Robertson getting close though!!!!

  • Disagree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We already have the ' Worse Than Foran Thread'. Things are not good just now but multiple threads on very similar topics add nothing to the debate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

We already have the ' Worse Than Foran Thread'. Things are not good just now but multiple threads on very similar topics add nothing to the debate.

I deleted the 'Worse than Foran' thread and replaced /updated the question with a statement of fact.

Edited by Caman
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, SteveA said:

We would be in a much better position now if Foran was still in charge! 

The most bizarre post for quite a while.

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And who would you put in his place at this point?    

Also, who is available?  

And, most importantly, at what salary?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Scarlet Pimple said:

And who would you put in his place at this point?    

Also, who is available?  

And, most importantly, at what salary?

Nobody decent, that's who! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Talk about knee-jerk reactions...yes, we are rubbish just now...yes, some of the signings appear to be about as much use as the car park on a wet day...yes, some of the man-management is questionable (Raven & OFWs recent performances are entirely down to the professionalism of both) but it's far too early to talk about 'Robbo out'..

Cool heads are needed - the budget is miniscule, compared to what we have had in recent previous seasons. A bit more time is needed, certainly needs to be reviewed in 2-3 months if things aren't improving. Constantly hiring/sacking managers is NOT the way to go - obviously neither is hanging on too long (like we did last season), mind you.

I would be concerned, however, about the stories about ' the dressing room being lost' , also the reported poor fitness levels (true or not) of the team. That's something that Robbo needs to be held accountable for, if it's true. Along with the results, of course.

Edited by jingsmonty
Typos in post
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People are forgetting Robbo's first season with us was a shambles, we fell from first to fourth and suffered some awful results (5-1 hammering at home to County IIRC), but he followed it up with arguably the most successful season in our history (Challenge Cup winners, Scottish Cup Semi, Championship Title and promotion). Perhaps there's a lesson there? He's only been in the job a few months and had virtually no time to survey the squad or the transfer market before the season started. By now you'd imagine he'll know exactly who needs to be shipped out and probably already has replacements lined up for the next transfer window.  

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We should not be jumping on sack Robbo at this time yes we are poor but we also have a few injuries to some of the supposedly better players, so limited to what he can work with, Saturdays performance has a positive (clean Sheet)  but for me the negative is 3 attempts at goal and none on target is obviously the big worry  we will never win matches with that.

Living in Spain I don't get to see the matches and rely on what I read here and other sources , maybe if nothing improves by Christmas then may be the time to look at another manager - but as been pointed out already who do we get with the finance that we have available

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AlexJones said:

 the most successful season in our history (Challenge Cup winners, Scottish Cup Semi, Championship Title and promotion)

3rd in the Premiership & a SC win not considered better or is that now glossed over as nobody seemed to like the manager at the time? 

  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But he is right. Must give Robbo a really fair try-out and avoid knee jerk reactions. If he is working primarily on defence that's not a bad way to go because Rome wasn't built in a day and he is going to need more time to sort it all out. If we can stop the ball entering our net then we can't actually be beaten can we which is at least a major step forward?

It's like a hole in a ship's hull, if you can  plug the leak then you can then attend to the forward motion of the vessel because you know at least the ship is not going to sink.....

I think he will need the full season to sort the  problems out , one by one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Scarlet Pimple said:

 

It's like a hole in a ship's hull, if you can  plug the leak then you can then attend to the forward motion of the vessel because you know at least the ship is not going to sink.....

 

We may have had a clean sheet on Saturday but that doesn't mean we are any closer to plugging the leak.  To continue the nautical metaphor, the reason we didn't sink on Saturday is because we were playing in the dry dock of  Queen's lightweight attack.  Stormier seas will see whether the sticking plaster keeps HMS Sneck afloat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He might be having a terrible start to his second spell as manager, but whatever happens he will be remembered for 2004. First division champions, SC Semi and Challenge Cup winners. Club legend and certainly not the worst manager in our history.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AlexJones said:

People are forgetting Robbo's first season with us was a shambles, we fell from first to fourth and suffered some awful results (5-1 hammering at home to County IIRC), but he followed it up with arguably the most successful season in our history (Challenge Cup winners, Scottish Cup Semi, Championship Title and promotion). Perhaps there's a lesson there? He's only been in the job a few months and had virtually no time to survey the squad or the transfer market before the season started. By now you'd imagine he'll know exactly who needs to be shipped out and probably already has replacements lined up for the next transfer window.  

Very good point & something we (me included) forget about is how little time Robbo had to get a squad in place in the close season, especially given the turmoil the club was in at the time

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He may have had little time but he still signed utter jobbers like Chalmers and Cooper who anyone could see arent good enough, even at our level.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Keybaird Warrior said:

He might be having a terrible start to his second spell as manager, but whatever happens he will be remembered for 2004. First division champions, SC Semi and Challenge Cup winners. Club legend and certainly not the worst manager in our history.

Robbo, together with Donald Park, did very well for us first time around and we will forever be grateful for the role he played in us getting to the top flight for the first time.

However, surely it takes more than a season and a couple of bits of a season as manager, even a successful one to qualify for club legend status.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the club's finances as they are, I can't see how we could afford a better manager than Robertson.  And with the club's finances as they are and with other problems within the club, I can't see why a better manager than Robertson would want to come here in any case.  Robertson may have been out of football management for a while but he has not been out of football.  If the Board can get a grip on some of the wider issues then I think Robertson is as good a manager as we are likely to get at this time.  I think he has a genuine affection for this club and that counts for a lot in our current situation.

As Alex pointed out, after a slow start last time, he delivered for us when he had had the time to make an impact.  We all know that some of his signings are disappointing, but time will tell to what extent it is because they are poor players and to what extent it is wider problems within the club.  And given the budget he has had to work with and the time he was given to put together a side, one can hardly expect his signings to produce a promotion challenging side.  Robertson was given an exceptionally difficult job to do and in my view, it is far too early to talk about yet another change of management.  Rather than sack the manager, the Board needs to work with the manager in getting to grips with the wider issues within the club and which were here long before Robertson returned to the club.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mikey Rob 

Re your remarks about Robbo, surely we all can make mistakes, right ? What's with this pouting lip situation viz a viz Robbo?

What can he do exactly>? He has no money available to spend and if he gets rid of players summarily without a better player waiting in the wings to take his place he will then be castigated for  being unfair  to them and not willing to give them a fair chance, or something? Sometimes you just have to grin and bear it --not for ever , mind you, but until the guy at least has a little bit more time to turn the situation around. Rome wasn't built in a day and the Romans had much more skill and money available to them than ICT has  -- or so it appears. 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

Robbo, together with Donald Park, did very well for us first time around and we will forever be grateful for the role he played in us getting to the top flight for the first time.

However, surely it takes more than a season and a couple of bits of a season as manager, even a successful one to qualify for club legend status.

He is imho a Caley Thistle legend. He will ALWAYS be remembered as the First Division winning manager and in charge of us in SPL for first time.  An example of an ICT man who isn't a club legend would be Craig Brewster. Did well as a player and manager first time, not so much second time. We don't look back at his time in charge and think of happy legendary times (even when he was doing well for us) but most folk do look back at Robbos time as legendary. It was always difficult for Brewster to achieve that as when he was in charge at that time it was about survival. It was harder to win trophies and he never got a chance to try and win the first division and challenge cup. Robbo did, and won them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just out of interest, how many of the team that won the 2003-04 league were Robbo's players?  David Bingham was one (they were big friends and Bingham was one of the best players in the league at that time).  I think Hislop was one and maybe Paul Ritchie, but it was undoubtedly Pele's squad.

Edited by Renegade

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.