cookies

Laurence

Hi

Having a problem with cookies

I know in tools how to delete all my cookies in one go

But I don't want to delete my cookies for my bookselling site Amazon.com , because it contains a code I don't want to  renew or change

I would like to delete some of the advertising cookies, because I find them intrusive.

Do you know a way of finding the system folder in Windows 10 that contains the cookies, so I can browse through them and get rid of the ones I don't like.

I used to be able to do it years ago with earlier versions of windows.

I would appreciate any help, thanks in advance

cookies are browser specific and the operating system is somewhat irrelevant, so without knowing the browser its impossible to give you accurate advice. Below are my comments for the main 3 .... for others, Google can be your friend :wink:

I use Chrome and the cookies for chrome are actually stored in a SQLite database file on your system and not an actual folder with a bunch of text files. You would need a database viewer or a third party browser extension to manage these cookies as the only option within Chrome is to delete everything within various date ranges. : C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default

For IE in Windows 10 the cookies are located in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCookies but previously they were elsewhere. Easiest way to get to the location on your machine is to go to the run command in the start menu and type shell:cookies . These appear to be text files so should be editable. I have not tried as my folder is pretty much empty as I dont use IE at all.

For Firefox the answer is the same as Chrome. its stored in a SQLite database so uneditable and would require a third party app or database viewer. Location is different though. this should be found in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\random_folder_name.default

In Firefox, Tools > Options > Privacy takes you to a screen on which there is an option to remove individual cookies.  Selecting this presents you with a list of domain names from which you have received cookies - each of these "domains" is a folder which you can drill into to see all the cookies from that domain.

I'm using Firefox 55.0.3, but I'm pretty sure that this functionality has been around in FF in this form for quite a while.

Edited by snorbens_caleyman

36 minutes ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

In Firefox, Tools > Options > Privacy takes you to a screen on which there is an option to remove individual cookies.  Selecting this presents you with a list of domain names from which you have received cookies - each of these "domains" is a folder which you can drill into to see all the cookies from that domain.

I'm using Firefox 55.0.3, but I'm pretty sure that this functionality has been around in FF in this form for quite a while.

Havent used Firefox for a while (too much bloat nowadays - or until most recent versions at least). I know it was in there before so good to know its still there.