Sign in to follow this  
CableGuy

Rename game

Recommended Posts

May as well just be whores like every other club and call it based on whoever pays the most - at first when Arsenal or Man City called their grounds the Emirates or Ethiad they had an ok ring to it, but once you start with the Tony Macaroni or the Superseat and the like - it becomes a bit of a joke and clubs start to look silly IMO. But its part of the modern game so we best embrace it before we get left behind.

Main options obviously is Wethers Original ...........

 

  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One that 'Caleyboy' will like:lol:..... The Lion's Den - 'Home of Pride of the Highlands'

  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Max's2 superdome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seriously, in our current financial situation, whichever commercial organisation, vile payday loan sharks apart, offers to pay the most.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Obviously it will be whoever pays the most for the right to name it, but it's location at the Longman or the Firth could be used in the title.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

Obviously it will be whoever pays the most for the right to name it, but it's location at the Longman or the Firth could be used in the title.

Exactly.   "The Dump".

  • Funny 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

Exactly.   "The Dump".

We might as well call it Pittodrie then, isn't that the translation of what Pittodrie means? The hill of manure ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

We might as well call it Pittodrie then, isn't that the translation of what Pittodrie means? The hill of manure ?

I never knew that!

"Hills of dung are hardly unknown in football, at least in the metaphorical sense, but Aberdeen fans have a powerful affection for theirs. The name of the club's home at Pittodrie derives, evidently, from a Gaelic term for 'a place of manure'.

When the newly established club took possession of the site in 1891, they found exactly that; it had been used to stable police horses. There was also a rubbish dump while the wider area was known as Gallows Marsh."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2369117/Pittodrie-built-on-rotting-foundations.html

And I've just discovered that "Ibrox" means "badgers' den"...

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would probably be best to use a Gaelic name - Air a stiùireadh le grunn luchd-call iomlan Stadium.

  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

I never knew that!

"Hills of dung are hardly unknown in football, at least in the metaphorical sense, but Aberdeen fans have a powerful affection for theirs. The name of the club's home at Pittodrie derives, evidently, from a Gaelic term for 'a place of manure'.

When the newly established club took possession of the site in 1891, they found exactly that; it had been used to stable police horses. There was also a rubbish dump while the wider area was known as Gallows Marsh."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2369117/Pittodrie-built-on-rotting-foundations.html

And I've just discovered that "Ibrox" means "badgers' den"...

Built a stadium on a rubbish dump. Which club nowadays would be stupid enough to do that.? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Contrary to the myth, Caledonian Stadium is not built on a rubbish tip....in fact, the vast majority isn't even built on reclaimed land.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 18.14.28.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 18.14.35.png

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, CaleyD said:

Contrary to the myth, Caledonian Stadium is not built on a rubbish tip....in fact, the vast majority isn't even built on reclaimed land.

Spoilsport 🤧

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome back Don!

Was the land not made up of ash from burned refuse? This was the way that waste used to be dealt with before the practice of tipping it straight into a landfill area without any treatment, like the reclaimed land to the south east the actual 'dump'.  Being mostly ash could also explain why the land drains quite well.

Given the current state of things down by, The Graveyard might be appropriate.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.