Polworth v Kellacher

I see on the ICT Facebook page that the club have apologised for not having the managers interview available due to a technical problem. I wonder if it contained comments that need to be vetted due to the incident? There was a camera up the the gantry over at the far side of the pitch, I wonder if they had caught the incident on video? We also saw Liam's father Ian, who was sitting behind the dugout, stand up when the incident started, but couldn't see or hear if he said anything. The club will obviously have to issue a statement, once they investigate the whole incident, as it was such a public outburst. 

While a serious incident lets not let it become the sole point of focus and distraction from the current predicament and performances. Again on Sat we were awful, there's a clear lack of harmony and unity and its still the case that even against much lower league opposition (although we won) that our players cant and haven't got the capability to show their perceived level - no disrespect to PH but we should have bosses the game and shown our superior quality instead the score line flatters and makes it look like we are Championship quality - when clearly we are not.

Where was this level of outrage when one of our players grabbed another by the throat during a match? The manager at the time reckoned it was a good thing and there wasn't much argument coming from this site and I don't remember people crying out for a statement from the board.

• Agree 3

Quite interesting that my daughter who isn’t really remotely interested in football came home last night from uni and after the usual great to be back home etc pretty much the first thing she said was how all her lecturers and fellow students at uni were talking about our team  saying how disgraceful it is to see that happening and it’s something you only see at Sunday league level.  Social media makes things travel fast for sure. Oh for the days of b&w tv again :laugh:

• Funny 1

33 minutes ago, roarer said:

Where was this level of outrage when one of our players grabbed another by the throat during a match? The manager at the time reckoned it was a good thing and there wasn't much argument coming from this site and I don't remember people crying out for a statement from the board.

Doesn’t count they were Irish ? :laugh:

• Facepalm 1

Unfortunately the pictures probably do not tell the full story, but all the press, social media etc are interested in is a good story which shows the player looking to knock f**k out of one of the coaching staff. Not good for the club at all. 

TBH I thought Liam Polworth's attitude and effort throughout the second half was pretty questionable. He seemed constantly distracted by the dugout. Not sure if he was p****ed about being asked to move from playing centrally to wide right, but he seemed pretty unhappy prior to being hooked.

As I said in an earlier post Polworth had a hard shift. He is surrounded by poor footballers some wouldn,t get a game in the highland league. Vigars had a good game but is mostly made up of short passes but he manages to create space for himself so looks more impressive. I can understand Polworths frustration he needs help on the pitch not critisisum from the side lines. I would have thought it was clear to everyone he needed help not people who hide, I use the word people  because I don't think they are fit to be classified as players not at this level

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, tm4tj said:

Hopefully the incident is behind them now and may act as an impetus to Polworth to become more influential on the park.

As others have said, a goal and an assist would normally be seen as a good shift.

He and Vigurs probably suffer stick for different reasons, but they can be key for us this season, given the general quality around them, I also want to see more from Trafford as there looks to be potential there.

10 minutes ago, Downinthedumps said:

Good to see the players and coaches playing golf at Torvean today. ?️‍♀️

Sounds like a productive use of time. Sadly spending time working on tactics, fitness and positioning etc would be a much greater use of time.

Most of the fans work a minimum of a 40 hour week, I've never understood this approach at football where training is a few hours running around in a morning. Surely the rest of the day can be spent working on tactics, formations, study of the opposition - even if the players aren't able to learn much from it, there is at least the illusion that they are trying to do so. Perhaps its the British approach to football and the attitude of coaches and players that should be looked when failings around sides occur rather than blaming climate, genetics and any other scapegoat that deflects from the institutions themselves.

23 minutes ago, Downinthedumps said:

Good to see the players and coaches playing golf at Torvean today. ?️‍♀️

It might have been a team bonding session with Kellacher and Polworth playing in pairs :smile:

8 minutes ago, bdu98196 said:

Sounds like a productive use of time. Sadly spending time working on tactics, fitness and positioning etc would be a much greater use of time.

Most of the fans work a minimum of a 40 hour week.

Why do you think the team and management were out playing golf? Do you seriously think JR said **** football, lets all go and play golf instead? 
Have you ever worked so hard youve thrown up? I would even suggest the players work harder in a morning session than you do in your 40hrs a week!  

• Funny 1
  • Facepalm 3

Really? You seem to be not just judgemental about every forum user on here but highly condescending. If you honestly think a club and team struggling as badly as we are should be out in jollies while taking the money hard earned by fans you're a bigger fool than the posts you put up even suggest.

In most employments if you fail to meet KPIs then you're employer doesn't give an afternoon off for games and play - can't say the performance of the coaches or players are in line with expectations either in or out of the club.

It's quite clear from your comments on several issues that you have a biased view based on a connection to the club or players, perhaps it's time to take the blinkers off and see exactly how badly the whole regime is letting the fans down.

Edited by bdu98196
  • Agree 2

I find myself somewhere in between Ancient Mariner and bdu here (which could have similar hazards to ending up in between LP and SK!) On the one hand, throwing up in the course of training for sport often comes with the territory. It can be part and parcel of the game if you want to get into condition to performand there's nothing remarkable about it. (Colin Baillie has made this his life time's mission among rugby players! :lol:) But on the other hand, the ICT squad maybe only throw up in the mornings. By the time the afternoons come round, they will have recovered and been fed and could be good to go again - perhaps in the gym. The need for recovery in advance of a competitive outing isn't necessarily mutually exclusive with at least some double sessions.

BUT... it's becoming apparent (or alternatively this has been clear since at least the Foran era) that the first team squad and coaches have internal tensions, in which case it's perfectly possible that the manager felt that some kind of communal social activity might help to soothe things. (Personally, if faced with a three line whip to undergo the abject tedium of playing golf, I would instead much rather to undergo the Training Session From Hell and happily throw up copiously at the end of it, but that's just my preference.)

I don't have a detailed picture of the Caley Thistle players' training schedules, although in general I get rather bemused with how little training footballers appear to do compared with some other sports (or indeed full time footballers compared with people in other sports with day jobs). However IF (and we have no evidence to the contrary) the manager is maximising training loads during the week, THEN if an additional golf outing helps to soothe tensions, then this is well worth trying.

14 hours ago, Charles Bannerman said:

But on the other hand, the ICT squad maybe only throw up in the mornings. By the time the afternoons come round, they will have recovered and been fed and could be good to go again - perhaps in the gym. 

BUT... it's becoming apparent (or alternatively this has been clear since at least the Foran era) that the first team squad and coaches have internal tensions, in which case it's perfectly possible that the manager felt that some kind of communal social activity might help to soothe things.

I'm not suggesting a vomit festival every morning just that they often do train hard and after that, often go to the gym. As any real supporter will remember, it was a meeting in a gym that brought Vigurs back in the team so players attending the gym in the afternoon is common.

And, I am lead to believe, team building activities boost KPI's and given the events, a jolly to the golf course was a good managerial decision and exactly the right thing to do. 

I'm sure I will recognise bdu at the next home game on account of his enormous shoes and red nose as the doors fall off his car. But he is right about one thing, I do biased view based on a connection to the club, I am a supporter, win or loose, I will cheer them off the park when they play well and when they don't. My posts may appear highly condescending at times but as I stated before, I am sick of the so called "supporters" who turn on the team because they don't get what they want. 

• Funny 1
  • Facepalm 1

The 'Vigurs was found in the gym' stuff was a myth.  He was on our radar long before then.

Also, it's good to see Robbo back posting on the forum.  Howdy Robbo!  Hope you're well (and stay off the pies eh!).

• Funny 1

2 hours ago, Renegade said:

The 'Vigurs was found in the gym' stuff was a myth.  He was on our radar long before then.

"It's a bit strange how it came about as I was working out at the gym when one of the players suggested that John Hughes might let me train with the team to help me out a bit," Vigurs told the club website." 

Two things:

1. Why would Vigurs create a myth?

2. Just what was one of the players doing at the gym instead of training or playing golf?

Loads of players would and should be on our radar at any one time - doesn't mean we will pursue a lot of them. If Vigurs wasn't spotted in the gym by one of our players and that conversation didn't happen, who's to say that he would have ever ended up training with us?

We'd been after him I think just after that season ended and offered him a contract that pre-season along with Partick Thistle and (I think) St Johnstone.  He wanted to keep his options open for a while and then signed the deal with us.  He wanted a return to Ross County first but they turned him down as I recall.