ARMED FORCES DAY : 28/10/17 : Ticket Info : v Dunfermline

ICTFC

Saturday 28th October is ARMED FORCES DAY at Tulloch Caledonian Stadium.  Inverness Caledonian Thistle FC will face off against Ladbrokes Championship opponents, Dunfermline Athletic FC, with the match kicking off at 3:00pm.

All Military Personell can get access to the game for £10 on production of appropriate identification and we are extending our Free Kids Tickets Offer to all Under 16s.  Both offers are available to Home and Away Fans in all areas of the stadium.

Military and U16 offer tickets are not available online and must be obtained from the ticket office.  Please allow extra time if getting your tickets on the day of the game. 

171028_forces_day.png.da295dd40f705011008bd32551f9bf2b.png

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Renegade said:

When's firefighters day?  When's doctors and nurses day?  When's police day?

It's a fair point, but our armed forces can potentially be away from home for Months at a time being shot at, so I don't begrudge them this day at all. Military personnel have to deal with stuff the rest of us could (fortunately) barely contemplate..

My other half is a nurse, so please don't thing I don't appreciate what they have to deal with either..!

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, jingsmonty said:

It's a fair point, but our armed forces can potentially be away from home for Months at a time being shot at, so I don't begrudge them this day at all. Military personnel have to deal with stuff the rest of us could (fortunately) barely contemplate..

My other half is a nurse, so please don't thing I don't appreciate what they have to deal with either..!

All of which they do through choice. Being away from home for months and being in harms way isn't unique to the military either. 

What are we going to have next? Jingoistic tunes and the pre-match blasting of canons followed by 'heroes' abseiling down the North Stand...?

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 2
  • Sad 1

I think this is a positive step and have no issue with it. The more folk we get through the turnstiles the better. Hopefully some will come back again. :ictscarf:

No problem with this ... nor would I have a problem if the club wanted to designate a day for emergency services or first responders etc ... All of these people see things no-one should have to see on a regular basis and without politicising the thread too much, you can support what they do, even if you may not support the situations they are put into by government or leadership. It is true to say that they chose to be in those professions, but that does not mean we should appreciate them less, nor does it mean that what they see now, and what they have to deal with on a regular basis was even on the radar when they signed up ! 

They do it over here at TFC matches once per year and season ticket holders who are not going to the game(s) are encouraged to use their online ticket manager to donate those tickets back for use by military. I routinely see members of the crowd walking up to (uniformed) service personnel, thanking them for their service and handing them a beer ! The crowd are usually treated to a military flyby as part of the day too (but no other razzmatazz)  ... although the increased security to get in means latecomers have to watch that part from outside !    I have traveled extensively in the USA as well and its even more pronounced there. (serving) military personnel get a lot of preferential service - or perhaps deferential is a better word - from airports and flight upgrades, to shops and restaurants, to discounts on hotel rooms or car hire etc .... which is in stark contrast to how they seem to be treated when they are no longer serving and are just "vets' .... but thats going off topic.     

If 2/3 of our stadium is going to be empty, where is the harm in trying all sorts of initiatives to try and get more bums on seats. The town does have a long history with the military, and even the team training at Fort George is a connection (for now). Having an appreciation day for them does not smack of 'jingoism' nor does it make us 'sevco of the north' as some posters would have it ... it just means we are trying different things and being able to appreciate those who served rather than those who want to be served as part of the process should be no biggie.   

I don't see why the military should get a day all of their own and others don't.  What about health professionals, fire fighters, police officers, coast guards and aid workers?  If the club are going to have money off days for different services then fair enough, but I certainly hope the club aren't intending to go down the militaristic, jingoistic, Rangers-style Forces Day of flyovers, tanks lined up in the car park and all the rest of it.

Edited by Renegade
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Confused 1

It's not only rangers who reward our armed forces aberdeen county hearts hibs all provide free tickets to forces personnel through a ticket website called tickets for troops so this rubbish about becoming rangers is nonsense. Have those who are moaning ever served in the forces or emergency services if not pipe down.

Edited by MorayJaggie
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 3
  • Facepalm 2

1 hour ago, Renegade said:

I don't see why the military should get a day all of their own and others don't.  What about health professionals, fire fighters, police officers, coast guards and aid workers?  If the club are going to have money off days for different services then fair enough, but I certainly hope the club aren't intending to go down the militaristic, jingoistic, Rangers-style Forces Day of flyovers, tanks lined up in the car park and all the rest of it.

Renegade, you're getting a bit wound up over this I think. Maybe the club will have an Emergency Services day also. Why not?  Personally I and nobody else, other than your good self, have no issue with it. If it gets more folk at the stadium then I think it is positive. Also, military personell are usually hard working and decent folk from those that I have met. 

I don't have a problem with it per se, but if we're to have an Armed Forces Day why don't we have other days to honour other professions?  All of whom include hard working decent folk, who have chosen to do a job where they're subject to harm and sights others wouldn't wish to see.

I just hope the club aren't intending to go down the Rangers-style, nationalistic Americanisation of sporting events with fly-overs, 'heroes' parachuting into the centre circle and God Save The Queen being blared out over the tannoy.

Edited by Renegade

I personally don’t have anything against such an event or the armed forces for that matter but it’s the type of character these events attracts is the issue

Far right groups like the SDL, local supporting orcs,loyalists, unionists the orange order all try and jump on the bandwagon and use the armed forces as an excuse to meet up for a good bevvy and possibly cause bother

Like Rene says it should not be exclusive to the armed forces  and other professions should also have their day

Dougal

Edited by dougal
  • Agree 2

19 hours ago, Renegade said:

All of which they do through choice. Being away from home for months and being in harms way isn't unique to the military either. 

What are we going to have next? Jingoistic tunes and the pre-match blasting of canons followed by 'heroes' abseiling down the North Stand...?

Please...think we are taking things too far here - can't really understand that this is even being discussed!

Anything that potentially gets more people through the turnstiles is a good thing, imho - maybe have some sort of special days for other professions too in the future.

I'm just saying there's nothing inappropriate in having a 'forces day'...

36 minutes ago, dougal said:

I personally don’t have anything against such an event or the armed forces for that matter but it’s the type of character these events attracts is the issue

Far right groups like the SDL, local supporting orcs,loyalists, unionists the orange order all try and jump on the bandwagon and use the armed forces as an excuse to meet up for a good bevvy and possibly cause bother

Like Rene says it should not be exclusive to the armed forces  and other professions should also have their day

Dougal

Fair point, but think the whole 'attracting undesireables' is totally overblown - there's thankfully not much of that in Inverness

39 minutes ago, jingsmonty said:

Fair point, but think the whole 'attracting undesireables' is totally overblown - there's thankfully not much of that in Inverness

Don’t you believe it, The Apprentice  boys of Derry don’t march in Inverness because they fancy a nice stroll in the spring sunshine they do as they have a supportive network for these marches to take place

You only need to go out in town on a Saturday night and it won’t take long to see how many undesirables there are in Inverness

Dougal

Well done ICT. It's a great idea to show support for our troops. I often look at the patriotism of the Americans and how they show support. I wish we had that level of enthusiasm for our soldiers in this country. The sacrifices they make are not acknowledged enough imho. Top marks to the club for this. ??????

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 7

1 hour ago, Keybaird Warrior said:

Well done ICT. It's a great idea to show support for our troops. I often look at the patriotism of the Americans and how they show support. I wish we had that level of enthusiasm for our soldiers in this country. The sacrifices they make are not acknowledged enough imho. Top marks to the club for this. ??????

good post but the flag is too much for me.

• Agree 1

One in four homeless people in America is a veteran. This belief that they truly support them is nonsense. The flag waving and pre-match anthem is a smokescreen and done to drive recruitment after the falling numbers of those signing up after the Iraq War. 

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 4

• Scotty locked this topic