ARMED FORCES DAY : 28/10/17 : Ticket Info : v Dunfermline

ICTFC

3 hours ago, Keybaird Warrior said:

Well done ICT. It's a great idea to show support for our troops. I often look at the patriotism of the Americans and how they show support. I wish we had that level of enthusiasm for our soldiers in this country. The sacrifices they make are not acknowledged enough imho. Top marks to the club for this. ??????

I am not sure that the jingoistic neoimperialist example of the USA, especially under it's present leadership, is something to be admired. It certainly isn't something to be copied.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Renegade said:

One in four homeless people in America is a veteran. This belief that they truly support them is nonsense. The flag waving and pre-match anthem is a smokescreen and done to drive recruitment after the falling numbers of those signing up after the Iraq War. 

53 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

I am not sure that the jingoistic neoimperialist example of the USA, especially under it's present leadership, is something to be admired. It certainly isn't something to be copied.

This is going off topic. Let’s stick to the subject. 

As I said in my own post, the Americans do seem to value serving military but not vets and that is not unique to the current administration. But that is for another topic if so desired. 

Again, I reiterate that my own opinion is that this is a good thing and that I would also have no issue in having similar appreciation of others such as emergency services, nurses, first responders etc .... 

10 hours ago, dougal said:

I personally don’t have anything against such an event or the armed forces for that matter but it’s the type of character these events attracts is the issue

Far right groups like the SDL, local supporting orcs,loyalists, unionists the orange order all try and jump on the bandwagon and use the armed forces as an excuse to meet up for a good bevvy and possibly cause bother

Like Rene says it should not be exclusive to the armed forces  and other professions should also have their day

Dougal

F***ing laughable read some real ***** on hear but this tops the lot.

The club trying to get some extra punters through the gate has turned to into a recruiting tool for the far right. WTF.

This promotion has been going on at the club for years if you haven't noticed , but lo and behold we have survided without anarchy breaking out .

• Facepalm 1

This is a national event, supported by many companies and organisations.

The club should be applauded for participating.

I am sure they would do the same if national events are arranged for other worthy groups.

On the park it's been a good day, can we just move on and focus on the positives in the lead up to next week's game, please.

• Agree 2

On 21/10/2017 at 11:21 AM, Kingsmills said:

Any at all is too much.

100% agree with that. I have no time at all for people who associate supporting armed forces with supporting unionism/rangers - I'm all for the armed forces day but I'm certainly not a Unionist or a Sevco fan!!

As said already, why are we criticising the club for initiatives to get more people through the turnstiles?

Other days should be held - we might increase the fan base that way, rather than doing these initiatives all at once..

As a side note - my Wife is a Nurse (who goes to the occasional game) & she thought the armed forces day was a good idea...

Edited by jingsmonty
Typos in post
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, Robert said:

This is a national event, supported by many companies and organisations.

The club should be applauded for participating.

It's not a national event - Armed Forces Day is in June. I think Renegade and Kingsmills are correct to broaden the topic to raise concerns about US style jingoism. The feting of military personnel is dangerous. It's used by governments to stir up nationalist fervour and provide public support support for imperialist foreign interventions. 

To those who say they'd be happy to support a similar day for nurses or teachers or whatever - you're not being asked to. Only armed forces. Why?

• Agree 4

2 hours ago, Caley Stan said:

To those who say they'd be happy to support a similar day for nurses or teachers or whatever - you're not being asked to. Only armed forces. Why?

I think if we want to continue discussing this, we should take it to another forum - Serious Discussion.

However, to answer Caley Stan's question - "Only armed forces. Why?" - it is one of the results of a deliberate policy of UK governments of all colours (Lab, Con/Lib and Con) to improve public recognition of the Armed Forces.

Over the last few years, I suspected that I was seeing the military more and more - parades in the streets, TV programmes both factual and fictional, the Invictus Games, Armed Forces Day, even the Military Wives choir, and so on.  It turns out that I was right. So if you have had that feeling too, now you know.

It's not a secret - although I wonder how many people are aware of it. The report which led to these activities can be found here - http://www.ppu.org.uk/militarism/recognition_of_our_armed_forces.pdf    The contents page is a good summary of what it's all about.

Please do not read any personal about me in the fact that that link is to the website of a secular pacifist organisation. It's just a link that was in something that I was reading, and until two minutes ago I had never looked at anything on the website other than that report.

Edited by snorbens_caleyman

28 minutes ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

I think if we want to continue discussing this, we should take it to another forum - Serious Discussion.

However, to answer Caley Stan's question - "Only armed forces. Why?" - it is one of the results of a deliberate policy of UK governments of all colours (Lab, Con/Lib and Con) to improve public recognition of the Armed Forces.

Over the last few years, I suspected that I was seeing the military more and more - parades in the streets, TV programmes both factual and fictional, the Invictus Games, Armed Forces Day, even the Military Wives choir, and so on.  It turns out that I was right. So if you have had that feeling too, now you know.

It's not a secret - although I wonder how many people are aware of it. The report which led to these activities can be found here - http://www.ppu.org.uk/militarism/recognition_of_our_armed_forces.pdf    The contents page is a good summary of what it's all about.

Please do not read any personal about me in the fact that that link is to the website of a secular pacifist organisation. It's just a link that was in something that I was reading, and until two minutes ago I had never looked at anything on the website other than that report.

I've not read the article yet but I alluded to something earlier in the thread.  In light of the kneeling before NFL games, it was revealed that the US government paid the NFL in 2009 to play the national anthem before games and ramp up the nationalistic, militaristic side to it with fly pasts, parades by the armed forces and all that type of thing.  This was done in order to recruit more people to sign up after the numbers fell big-style after the horrors of the Iraq War.  It's completely phony and nothing to be replicated in Britain.

• Agree 2

If I were in the Armed Forces and I considered popping along to the event, then I'd think again after reading this thread. If the amount of negativity and red dots from ICT fans on this thread is a snapshot of ICT fans views towards our countries Armed Forces, then that is a sad state of affairs for a town that has has had a long history with Scottish regiments. 

• Disagree 6

46 minutes ago, Keybaird Warrior said:

If I were in the Armed Forces and I considered popping along to the event, then I'd think again after reading this thread. If the amount of negativity and red dots from ICT fans on this thread is a snapshot of ICT fans views towards our countries Armed Forces, then that is a sad state of affairs for a town that has has had a long history with Scottish regiments. 

I don't see a single post expressing negative views towards the armed forces. Some, however, do take issue with a particular group of individuals being given preferential treatment when other equally, or perhaps more, deserving groups do not.

• Agree 2

On ‎21‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 8:31 AM, dougal said:

Far right groups like the SDL, local supporting orcs,loyalists, unionists the orange order all try and jump on the bandwagon and use the armed forces as an excuse to meet up for a good bevvy and possibly cause bother

Where do they do these days, now that the Portland Club is a mosque? Also, I am not aware of any crank organisations ever doorstepping the Armistice Sunday parade which is a far higher profile recognition of our armed forces than a football match.

Edited by Charles Bannerman
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, AncientMariner said:

The Earth is flat. 

No it isn't, but The Beechgrove Garden is square.

Edited by Guest

5 hours ago, Keybaird Warrior said:

Aye, a long history of sending our lads to fight pointless wars for the very empire that squeezed the life out of the area in the first place.

• Agree 7

19 minutes ago, Renegade said:

Ah yes, let's teach more young men and women how to kill and then send them off to be canon fodder in more pointless wars. 

To be fair, that's not all national service personnel were taught. They were taught the noble skills of vicious bullying,abuse of power, misogyny, homophobia and racism as well.

Edited by Kingsmills
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Renegade said:

Ah yes, let's teach more young men and women how to kill and then send them off to be canon fodder in more pointless wars. 

3 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

To be fair, that's not all national service personnel were taught. They were taught the noble skills of vicious bullying,abuse of power, misogyny, homophobia and racism as well.

Typical responses from the ignorant. National service was there for the defence of the Country.

I don't think you have the slightest bit of experience of such or you wouldn't be putting a slur on this. Pity you weren't involved it would probably have given you a better insight to life and made you a much better person. Or then again in some cases maybe not !

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 3

• Scotty locked this topic