Joe, Joe, Super Joe

Caley Stan

When i first saw Joe Chalmers prancing along the Forthbank touchline i thought he looked like a dud of Vetleesque proportions. At full-back he was frequently done for pace and appeared to have  a complete lack of positional awareness. When Robbo moved him into midfield that night his sanity was questioned by most of the travelling support - Chalmers offered nothing positive there, misplacing passes and getting in the way when we tried to create openings down that side. Since then, i've caught a couple of glimpses of his fabled sweet left foot, but seen little to question that first impression. Until yesterday. 

Yesterday he was one of our best players, making a number of interceptions in midfield, retaining possession well by playing simple balls into Vigurs and Polworth, and getting to bye line on a couple occasions including for the excellent cross that led to the corner for the opening goal. 

Did anyone see this coming? 

• Agree 1

Meant to add, since you were on the subject of players becoming improved players, where does the improving pairing of Mckay and Donaldson leave Gary Warren? 

Edited by caley100

4 minutes ago, caley100 said:

Meant to add, since you were on the subject of players becoming improved players, where does the improving pairing of Mckay and Donaldson leave Gary Warren? 

On the bench. There's absolutely no reason to change this team whilst it's been doing so well.

Caley Stan is right to pick out Chalmers. Despite being a total jobber for most of the season yesterday he was really excellent. Seemed to be playing on the left flank ahead of Tremarco but often pulled inside to tighten up the centre of the pitch. He has improved massively from his very timid showing at Dumbarton and long may it continue. Same for Donaldson who I wasn't overly happy about us signing but again he's been proving me wrong. Very simple but effective defending, seems to have stopped trying to playing 40 yard Hollywood passes out for a throw in and instead is concentrating on just winning headers and tackles and then, if in any doubt, putting the ball in to touch. Very similar to Darren Dods.

If these guys keep things up a lot of folk, myself included, will be eating humble pie and I hope that is the case. Because I love pie.

Edited by RiG
  • Agree 2

Can i get a gold star for saying i seen it stan . Commented on his pace against morton and felt he done well tucking into centre defence. 

Someone else also called out trialling him to midfield. 

I am so positive and happy clappy though i think i said elsdon was the new maldini and Robbo was making a really positive  climate in the club. . .  

As meatloaf would say 2 of 3 aint bad. 

• Agree 1
  • Facepalm 1