Sign in to follow this  
Scotty

Abusive Posts

Recommended Posts

Not sure what the reasoning is, and quite frankly, not interested, but the level of abusive posting has reached a point where its becoming a really big problem. Not going to bother writing a big tome on the subject now ... its been done before, and I have linked below this to the last couple of topics from 2012 and 2009 that seem relevant. I know one or two will read it and others may just say "**** off !" ... so be it. 

Bottom line is that the personal abuse of other posters stops now or the ban hammer comes out. That's not a threat, its a promise. You want to abuse someone? then do it somewhere else, we don't want you. This is not what this website is for. We do not invest in software and hosting to give someone the opportunity to hide behind a keyboard and bully, abuse or defame others. We do it so fans can discuss and debate all things ICT (and beyond), to give fans a place where they can congratulate and criticise the club in equal measure, ask questions, seek opinions, and where supporters of the club of any age can spend some time enjoyably without being the subject of personal attacks. Right now, the personal abuse and vitriol from many directions makes it far from enjoyable. 

 

 

 

 

  • Thanks 3
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No one should abuse any other poster ,  But to ban discussion  is to be not the right policy although I can why it is considered so

To put my serious head on, which I do infrequently because it reminds me of my former life, when I had to be ultra serious and  not to  make mistakes because it could have serious consequences,  Thirty years and one day I was a firefighter in Lancashire,  I went through the ranks  to a moderately high level when I had to be in charge of many men ( no women in those days ),   I have seen sights in fires and road accidents, I don't care to remember and in writing this I will not sleep tonight.  ( Because it is all coming back)  I have seen families distraught  in losing their loved ones , husbands , babies,  - Putting on a brave face when I had to interview them, to get the facts of  the case, usually for me to give evidence at the inquest into  the death .

So I get a little frustrated  or more than that when I see subscribers on this forum, who have never had to meet serious danger head on , decrying  service personal that have put their lives on the line in foreign places when told to do by their superiors officers. How can a person who has never  had more danger than sucking the lead in their pencils know what it is like to face an enemy  determined to kill you, or in my case burn me to  a cinder.  So when  the ICT club or anyone  else  wishes to  pay tribute to those of us that protect our life style , we should be there  with them one hundred percent. 

These people may not show it but fear is the  is there every minute of the day  , not just fear for themselves but fear they may put their colleagues in danger.

On a personal note a close relation of mine went in on D day two hours before the main landings  as part of the South Wales borderers as a CSM with the Canadians ,  Many of whom their main language was French, You can imagine how they felt landing to free the country that was part of their heritage,. Those Canadians landed  with 5000 men and lost 5000 men in two days of fighting.  The 5000 were replaced as they moved down through Normandy. A little boy saw the troops and ran into his farmhouse " mummy French soldiers outside ",  "They are speaking French mummy".

No amount of gibes can diminish the efforts of these soldiers , of what ever nationality, and I include German soldiers in that they had little choice in many instances.,

There is a high price to maintain the peace  in the world.

Good night and sleep tight, you owe your nights rest to the  emergency services, and to the military, never forget it

 

 

Edited by Laurence
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Laurence said:

No one should abuse any other poster ,  But to ban discussion  is to be not the right policy although I can why it is considered so

No one is banning discussion. That was never stated. However there is a huge difference between discussion and personal abuse. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Well done scotty. 

If i want personal abuse based on inarticulate rants about politics socioeconomic issues and historical issues then i can listen to twitter. 

If i want baseless inarticulate freindly fiction about caley thistle i can come here for these sort of gems. Any key tropes i have missed.

Vive la difference 

Elsdon is the new maldini

Bring terry butcher back

Sack robertson.

Its not caley its thistle

We had bigger crowds at the swimming pool when i was a boy. 

I once went to jail with Richie Foran. 

I once went to school with pauline pie.

The young team did nothing wrong it was a big boy who did it and ran away. 

Lets have fun and if these have touched a personal nerve  think about context and buying me a pint to discuss not a balaclava and a petrol bomb. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Scotty said:

No one is banning discussion. That was never stated. However there is a huge difference between discussion and personal abuse. 

 

You are banning discussion. You are looking threads rather than banning the offenders. 

Very George Orwellian like

  • Disagree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have closed two threads recently. One for abuse that had taken it so far off topic that it almost met itself coming back despite warnings on the thread that were not heeded, and the other one because it was a second attempt to resurrect the same topic so lets be a little more accurate and truthful here ! If these are not the topics you refer to, or you wish to debate any moderating decisions, please feel free to send me or any one of the moderators a message with your examples and we will give you an answer as it relates to any specific thread.  

There are plenty other threads that we probably should lock when they get abusive but we tend not to unless someone reports it to us ... I would argue that the second part of your comment that banning people as a first resort rather than closing threads which by that time have becomes cesspools of abuse and argument is rather more draconian than simply locking them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we can all agree that this is a top site and we are lucky to have it. Since the advent of  Facebook many clubs have closed down their fora  for this very reason

I hope it continues and subscribers treat others as they themselves would like to be treated. Sometimes a thick skin is useful.

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Laurence said:

Sometimes a thick skin is useful.

:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ICTPAISLEY said:

Fantastic. We've now went almost two days without a post on here. 

No wonder, any crack or controversy is quickly extinguished, the sojers' day thread being a prime example.

Not really bothered maself, but the site is as dull as ditchwater most of the time. 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, ferben1994 said:

You are banning discussion. You are looking threads rather than banning the offenders. 

Very George Orwellian like

The George is probably superfluous. Doubt that anyone would have assumed that you were referring to Fred Orwell.

For what it's worth, nobody is stifling argument or debate even vigorous and robust debate, that's the lifeblood of this forum. What is objected to is personal abuse and insults. Surely, as adults, we are capable of disagreeing with somebody else without resorting to abusing them. You wouldn't, or at least shouldn't, do that to their face do why should it be any more acceptable to do so online ?

Edited by Kingsmills
  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, dougiedanger said:

No wonder, any crack or controversy is quickly extinguished, the sojers' day thread being a prime example.

Not really bothered maself, but the site is as dull as ditchwater most of the time. 

Having a billion subforums doesn't help. Can we just have an Ict & General Football Forum and an All Other Stuff Forum?

  • Agree 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, PumpFake said:

Having a billion subforums doesn't help. Can we just have an Ict & General Football Forum and an All Other Stuff Forum?

use the 'my activity streams' menu item to create your own customised version of the 'unread posts' page. You can filter out any forum you dont want. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Scotty said:

use the 'my activity streams' menu item to create your own customised version of the 'unread posts' page. You can filter out any forum you dont want. 

Thanks. That won't make the subforums any busier though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

... no, but that wasnt the question was it ...

if we consolidate things into less forums then we always end up getting told the opposite .... that there are too many posts or that its hard to figure out if things are on/off topic. you can never please everyone. What I will commit to is that when we do our next major upgrade to the forum version I will take a look. There probably is some room for a little bit of re-organisation.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surely, as adults, we are capable of disagreeing with somebody else without resorting to abusing them. You wouldn't, or at least shouldn't, do that to their face do why should it be any more acceptable to do so online ?

Absolutely Kingsmills.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In all seriousness I have formed a large number of friendships by personal abusing people on here :wink:

  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Scotty said:

... no, but that wasnt the question was it ...

if we consolidate things into less forums then we always end up getting told the opposite .... that there are too many posts or that its hard to figure out if things are on/off topic. you can never please everyone. What I will commit to is that when we do our next major upgrade to the forum version I will take a look. There probably is some room for a little bit of re-organisation.

 

 

Given that almost two thirds of the posts are in the Caley Thistle forum which has more than five times the posts in the second biggest forum, I'm not sure that reducing the number of forums. The % breakdown of forums is Caley Thistle 64.7, UK Football 1.4, World Football 8.2, Rumour Mill 2.9, Other Sport 0.3, Gringo's PL 5.1, Serious Topics 2.4, General nonsense 11.8, For Sale 0.2, Tech Support 0.8, Old Inverness 2.3, Classic Music and Retro TV (to the 1dp quoted) 0.0.

The only rationalisation I can see is to incorporate UK football, World football, Rumour Mill and other sport into a single forum (total 12.8%) perhaps called "Non ICT Sport" or similar, but even that's a bit diffuse.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Charles Bannerman said:

Given that almost two thirds of the posts are in the Caley Thistle forum which has more than five times the posts in the second biggest forum, I'm not sure that reducing the number of forums. The % breakdown of forums is Caley Thistle 64.7, UK Football 1.4, World Football 8.2, Rumour Mill 2.9, Other Sport 0.3, Gringo's PL 5.1, Serious Topics 2.4, General nonsense 11.8, For Sale 0.2, Tech Support 0.8, Old Inverness 2.3, Classic Music and Retro TV (to the 1dp quoted) 0.0.

The only rationalisation I can see is to incorporate UK football, World football, Rumour Mill and other sport into a single forum (total 12.8%) perhaps called "Non ICT Sport" or similar, but even that's a bit diffuse.

 

You need to get out more.

  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about:

ICT Forum with General Football Chat Thread, Rumour Thread etc.

Other Stuff Forum with Serious Thread, Charles Bannerman's Adventures in Time Thread etc.

Think it's just a bit more convenient to have general threads in two main forums rather than having so many subforums. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

General Nonsense for this pish :wink:

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.