Sign in to follow this  
Caman

Contracts - Who to get tied up?

Taken from a previous post I made buried away on page 4...

Handy stuff :clapping::wink:

Signed until the end of next season (2017-18):

• Brian Rice - Assistant Manager

• Ryan Esson – GK coach/ player - GK

• Aaron Doran - LW

• Iain Vigurs - CM 

• Jake Mulraney - RW

• Carl Tremarco (with option of further year) - LB

• Brad Mckay - CB

• Cammy Mackay - GK

John Baird - FW

• George Oakley - FW

• Connor Bell - FW

• David Raven (Until Jan 2018) - RB

• Matthew Elsdon - 6 month loan deal from Middlesborough, option to extend for whole season - CB

• Alex Cooper - 6 month deal until January 2018 - FW

• Coll Donaldson - 6 month deal until January 2018 - CB

I heard in the summer that Rice signed a longer deal that was never officially announced.  Don't know how try that is but the source was a good one.

• Disagree 1

57 minutes ago, Renegade said:

I heard in the summer that Rice signed a longer deal that was never officially announced.  Don't know how try that is but the source was a good one.

if true Robbo must think he's worth it🖒

• Disagree 1

We know it, the board must know it, Robbo has to be at least warming to the idea.......Get Raven signed up on a longer deal that suits both parties.

• Agree 4

1 hour ago, Morgan Spice said:

We know it, the board must know it, Robbo has to be at least warming to the idea.......Get Raven signed up on a longer deal that suits both parties.

To the end of this season would be a start.

• Agree 4

Joe Chalmers has been quietly, very effective in a midfield role, adding ballast to Vigurs + Polworth. 

Joe is positionally astute, keeps it simple, currently keeping Trafford on the bench.

Versatile, in that can play a few positions and roles in the team, which is greatly useful for a club like ours.

Currently, in my opinion, a definite to stay on.

• Agree 3

extending contracts costs money, money this club doesn't have. 

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, A Sofa In San Tropez said:

Joe Chalmers has been quietly, very effective in a midfield role, adding ballast to Vigurs + Polworth. 

Joe is positionally astute, keeps it simple, currently keeping Trafford on the bench.

Versatile, in that can play a few positions and roles in the team, which is greatly useful for a club like ours.

Currently, in my opinion, a definite to stay on.

Hi Joe

• Disagree 1
  • Funny 3

On 10/29/2017 at 7:13 PM, Stirling Observer said:

Since he and tremarco have returned into the full back positions their experience has really helped solidify the defence. I have no idea what the financial situation is but unless Seedorf returns a much improved player we will be significantly weakened.

I appreciate it was "only Brechin" but, in the early season Betfred Cup game, Seedorf looked a real find. He started in defence where he was fine and actually looked to have a good understanding with Mulraney in an attacking sense up the flank. Later in the game, he was even put into a more central midfield role and looked as good/creative there as a Vigurs/Polworth. He may have had disappointing defensive performances since then but I don't think we should write him off entirely ... at least not yet.

I would like to retain Raven (in an Esson-esque player/coach way) ... and Seedorf ... with Seedorf possibly becoming an option for elsewhere on the park as well ... because he is probably one of the more versatile players we have ... in a similar way to what Danny Williams used to bring on the left hand side.

On Doran, unless something radically changes, he needs to be let go. I was one of his most ardent supporters and desperately wanted him to have more game time under Yogi when he was fit. Now, he's a unfortunately a non-playing "luxury" we simply cannot afford even if he had been a low earner (which I imagine he almost certainly is not given our league position/status when he'd last signed).

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

3 hours ago, cif73 said:

I appreciate it was "only Brechin" but, in the early season Betfred Cup game, Seedorf looked a real find. He started in defence where he was fine and actually looked to have a good understanding with Mulraney in an attacking sense up the flank. Later in the game, he was even put into a more central midfield role and looked as good/creative there as a Vigurs/Polworth. He may have had disappointing defensive performances since then but I don't think we should write him off entirely ... at least not yet.

I would like to retain Raven (in an Esson-esque player/coach way) ... and Seedorf ... with Seedorf possibly becoming an option for elsewhere on the park as well ... because he is probably one of the more versatile players we have ... in a similar way to what Danny Williams used to bring on the left hand side.

On Doran, unless something radically changes, he needs to be let go. I was one of his most ardent supporters and desperately wanted him to have more game time under Yogi when he was fit. Now, he's a unfortunately a non-playing "luxury" we simply cannot afford even if he had been a low earner (which I imagine he almost certainly is not given our league position/status when he'd last signed).

My understanding is that Doran is one of our highest paid players.

As County are struggling a bit, I wouldn't be surprised if they try to nick Vigurs for say £50k in January. They lack a bit of flair and spending that amount and keeping themselves in the Premiership would be small change. 

That would then dent our prospects, which in all honesty would also please County. Also, pocketing the likes of £50k for Vigurs would be small change as opposed to getting back to the 'riches' of the Premiership. 

Edited by Caman

On 30/10/2017 at 10:09 PM, caleyboy said:

extending contracts costs money, money this club doesn't have. 

So does losing good players for nothing & having to try & replace them...

• Agree 2
  • Facepalm 2

15 hours ago, jingsmonty said:

So does losing good players for nothing & having to try & replace them...

so what you are saying is that players who have taken us to the lower end of the championship should be given improved contracts! 

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Facepalm 3

2 hours ago, caleyboy said:

so what you are saying is that players who have taken us to the lower end of the championship should be given improved contracts! 

A bit negative I would say given the recent improvements.

Some of these guys could be the core of the team for say two or three years if kept together, if they want to stay and if given the right kind of contract that is mutually beneficial.

The last part being easier said than done admittedly. 

Edited by Caman

1 hour ago, Caman said:

A bit negative I would say given the recent improvements.

Some of these guys could be the core of the team for say two or three years if kept together, if they want to stay and if given the right kind of contract that is mutually beneficial.

The last part being easier said than done admittedly. 

All for rewarding extended / improved contracts to those who perform to consistently high standards but we have only passed the first quarter so far too early to make these decisions

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, caleyboy said:

I never said 'improved', mainly longer - do we want to become like County were in the 'adams family' days when they recycled the squad at every window?

Think one of the root causes (although not the main one) of us being in the championship in the 1st place was losing great players for sod all & not properly replacing them (Shinne, Watkins, etc).

We are starting to look like a decent team now...took a while to get there & I don't think we should be wanting to lose too many of these guys & having another rebuild - down that road lies League 1!

Aaron Doran deserves his opportunity too - what sort of a club would we be if we just binned the guy! Maybe on a contract closer to what the more recent signings are on, yes, may suit both Aaron & the club, although I'm not sure he would want to move on anyway - we have, potentially, another 'Johnny Hayes' level of player here, if he can get/stay fit

Edited by jingsmonty
Additional text
  • Facepalm 1

21 hours ago, jingsmonty said:

I never said 'improved', mainly longer - do we want to become like County were in the 'adams family' days when they recycled the squad at every window?

Think one of the root causes (although not the main one) of us being in the championship in the 1st place was losing great players for sod all & not properly replacing them (Shinne, Watkins, etc).

We are starting to look like a decent team now...took a while to get there & I don't think we should be wanting to lose too many of these guys & having another rebuild - down that road lies League 1!

Aaron Doran deserves his opportunity too - what sort of a club would we be if we just binned the guy! Maybe on a contract closer to what the more recent signings are on, yes, may suit both Aaron & the club, although I'm not sure he would want to move on anyway - we have, potentially, another 'Johnny Hayes' level of player here, if he can get/stay fit

first of all, if you extend a contract you are automatically improving it even if you don't offer more money.  if you understood my last post, i am all for extending/ improving contracts if players perform consistently well over a reasonable period of time and in my opinion a quarter of the season is far too early to make that decision.              i dont think you will find me saying Doran doesn't deserve the chance to prove he can come back but again he has to prove himself over time and then Robbo can decide if he is worth another contract. From what i hear the club have treated him very well during his unfortunate injury. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, caleyboy said:

first of all, if you extend a contract you are automatically improving it even if you don't offer more money.  if you understood my last post, i am all for extending/ improving contracts if players perform consistently well over a reasonable period of time and in my opinion a quarter of the season is far too early to make that decision.              i dont think you will find me saying Doran doesn't deserve the chance to prove he can come back but again he has to prove himself over time and then Robbo can decide if he is worth another contract. From what i hear the club have treated him very well during his unfortunate injury. 

Fair point & one I agree with-I'm thinking more of the players on short term deals/out of contract end of this season (Brad McKay & Coll Donaldson, and others fall into this group).

As far as Aaron Doran goes, somebody (not sure who) was saying to punt him-no, no, no! Not sure when his contract is up, but he deserves at least that long to prove himself.

Edited by jingsmonty
Additional text
  • Thanks 1

On 01/11/2017 at 9:03 PM, Caman said:

As County are struggling a bit, I wouldn't be surprised if they try to nick Vigurs for say £50k in January. They lack a bit of flair and spending that amount and keeping themselves in the Premiership would be small change. 

That would then dent our prospects, which in all honesty would also please County. Also, pocketing the likes of £50k for Vigurs would be small change as opposed to getting back to the 'riches' of the Premiership. 

Why would County be pleased at missing, potentially, another 2 full houses at the Highland Derby and the gate receipts that go with it? From a fans point of view it's great to have bragging rights but financially it's not good business practice. Are they petty enough?

Personally I think it's maybe a bit too early to extend any of the new signings contracts just yet. With the exception of maybe Bell and Donaldson (who is only signed until January) 

I'd like to also see Raven have his contract extended until the end of the season. He offers both stability and experience. Maybe he'll take a wage cut to do so. Or take another role at the club in addition. 

And from the other long(er) termers, extending Mckay and Vigurs on new deals. 

Doran has in the past been a great player for us but if he can't play he's a wage that could be used on a striker. If he proves his fitness by the end of the season, I'd offer him a heavy appearance fee related contract. If he can't get fit, let him stay and train for goodwill. But not on a deal. 

Likes of Baird, Oakley and Mulraney need to prove consistency over the course of the season. The best motivation for that is a prospective contract at the end of the season. Not now. Play and earn it. 

Don't think Elsdon or Cooper are worth keeping on beyond January. 

In summary -

Donaldson - extend to end of season with optional year after. 

Bell - consider 2 year extension beyond this season. Not yet though. 

Raven - extend until end of season.

Vigurs, Mckay - start talking with agents. 

Rest - earn a contract. 

• Agree 2

I would focus on those out of contract in January. 

We absolutely must extend Donaldson's contract as soon as possible.

I know it is probably a lost cause, but it would be great to keep Raven at least until the end of the season.

• Agree 2