Sign in to follow this  
Caman

Contracts - Who to get tied up?

4 hours ago, hislopsoffsideagain said:

I thought Collin Seedorf signed a two year deal? If so that means we have the following signed up for 2018/19:

Goalkeepers - Ridgers (and Fon Williams, technically!)

Defenders - Chalmers, Donaldson, Seedorf, Tremarco, Warren

Midfielders - Calder, Elbouzedi, Polworth, Trafford

Forwards - Austin, Oakley

That leaves Esson, C. Mackay, Harper, McKay, Brown, Doran, Mulraney, Vigurs, Baird, Bell and D. Mackay out of contract.

Budgetary constraints may play as big a part in who stays and who goes as Robbo's own views.

Obviously Baird will not be staying. I can't see OFW returning from the USA either so you can probably write both off now.

Esson's future probably depends on how much he costs us. If he's doing his current dual role for less cost than that of a separate backup keeper and a GK coach then fine. If he remains I imagine Cammy Mackay will not be retained.

Of the youngsters, we will surely tie up Daniel Mackay. Jack Brown and/or Cameron Harper are young enough (and probably cheap enough) that they will hang around for another year.

Of the rest, I imagine we would ideally keep Brad McKay, Aaron Doran and Iain Vigurs if we can afford them, but I suspect they are amongst the higher earners in the squad.

Mulraney and Bell seem less certain to be offered new deals. Bell has really tailed off after his bright start and seems to work less well with Oakley than he did with Baird. Mulraney still has plenty of potential for improvement but Robbo may feel that we need someone more consistent; there's also the chance that Jake's head has been turned by talk of interest from Hearts in January.

Does that seem like a reasonable summary?

reasonable summary I suppose but do you think it will influence the decision maker? I think not.

All the players who are out of contract but we wish to keep should be resigned but only massively reduced terms with the execption of the youth players. If you can't prove yourself in this division you pay the price. I doubt their will be a line of suitors for our current lot.

• Like 1

Brad Mckay has been a good performer for us.  He's not outstanding but is solid and can play a couple of positions.  It's sensible to offer him an extended contract.

• Agree 1

Surprised, but not disappointed, that we're signing Cammy up for 2 years.

Esson's playing contract is up in May, but we still have Ridgers and Fon Williams on the books beyond that.

There's also Daniel Hoban who's contract is up at the end of the season.....and young Stephen Foster coming through who I'm not entirely sure about with his contract situation.  Both these lads talked about in very high regard in terms of ability and potential.

Is Esson hanging up the gloves and staying on as a coach, going altogether or are we putting together a squad made up entirely of keepers?  Another attempt to be made to force Fon Williams to go?  Investment in the young lads?

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, ictchris said:

Brad Mckay has been a good performer for us.  He's not outstanding but is solid and can play a couple of positions.  It's sensible to offer him an extended contract.

Can we please make it a hat trick of McKays on extended contracts ? 

• Funny 1

Robertson saying that his budget is getting cut again. We desperately need more supporters to get along to games. There wasn't even close to be 1,500 there the other night. We simply will not be able to sustain full time football and have a hope of getting back to the Premiership on our current levels of support. I really don't even the job JR has to do in signing players up and recruiting new ones. Any chance of a sugar daddy coming along...?

Edited by RiG
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, RiG said:

Robertson saying that his budget is getting cut again. We desperately need more supporters to get along to games. There wasn't even close to be 1,500 there the other night. We simply will not be able to sustain full time football and have a hope of getting back to the Premiership on our current levels of support. I really don't even the job JR has to do in signing players up and recruiting new ones. Any chance of a sugar daddy coming along...?

Not interested in becoming another Gretna (or our neighbours from over the bridge....) in relying on a Sugar Daddy - that has the potential to end badly! You're right though - more investment & DEFINETLY more fans needed!! If even a small percentage more of the fans who came to Hampden on 30/05/15 came to the games, that would help a lot!

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, CaleyD said:

Surprised, but not disappointed, that we're signing Cammy up for 2 years.

Esson's playing contract is up in May, but we still have Ridgers and Fon Williams on the books beyond that.

There's also Daniel Hoban who's contract is up at the end of the season.....and young Stephen Foster coming through who I'm not entirely sure about with his contract situation.  Both these lads talked about in very high regard in terms of ability and potential.

Is Esson hanging up the gloves and staying on as a coach, going altogether or are we putting together a squad made up entirely of keepers?  Another attempt to be made to force Fon Williams to go?  Investment in the young lads?

Maybe Robbo is thinking ahead as who knows if a 'bigger' club may come in for Ridgers, given his current form? 

We do seem a bit heavy on keepers though - guessing Ryan Esson will be coaching full time (I did see him taking charge of the youth team earlier in the season) & can't see Fon Williams coming back (he seems to be doing well at Indy Eleven - recent MOM on twitter!).

Still leaves us with 3 young-ish keepers - maybe Hoban & Foster will still be loaned out & Cammy Mackay as backup for Ridgers? 

Like it or not (and I'm not a fan of the idea), just about every club in the country relies to some extent or other on "Sugar Daddies" (or Mummies).  Be it to keep the wolves from the door or to try and push on further after a positive spell, clubs crave more than their income/turnover provides.

We have to one degree or another done so our entire existence and will continue to do so regardless of which league we are in next season.  The only question is who they are and how they go about it.

• Agree 3

6 hours ago, RiG said:

Robertson saying that his budget is getting cut again.

Least surprising statement of the season.

Tying up the younger players on longer deals is the only option for now. The club needs to consider which of those can step up next year and have the next crop of youth as back up, then using the very limited resources left to bring in the highest quality possible - what we need is a strong proven performer at each position throughout the spine of the team. There has to be an acceptance that our starting/best 11 has to be strong enough to challenge for the title and that the rest of the squad is limited or just youth - its the only way to spread the budget.

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, bdu98196 said:

Least surprising statement of the season.

Tying up the younger players on longer deals is the only option for now. The club needs to consider which of those can step up next year and have the next crop of youth as back up, then using the very limited resources left to bring in the highest quality possible - what we need is a strong proven performer at each position throughout the spine of the team. There has to be an acceptance that our starting/best 11 has to be strong enough to challenge for the title and that the rest of the squad is limited or just youth - its the only way to spread the budget.

Totally agree quality over quantity nxt season i.e. 1 decent striker on wages of 2 duff ones get a decent starting 11 and pad out the squad with the youth players who nos might unearth another gem like Christie! Look at Daniel mackay hopefully a top player for us in years to come gotta give the kids a go sometime 

• Agree 3

7 hours ago, RiG said:

Gordie Fyfe told a friend of my uncle that they had to cancel work on the pitch for the summer that was going to cost £100000 because we've run out of money and are worried season ticket numbers are going to fall again.

• Sad 2

43 minutes ago, Shorty said:

Gordie Fyfe told a friend of my uncle that they had to cancel work on the pitch for the summer that was going to cost £100000 because we've run out of money and are worried season ticket numbers are going to fall again.

Sounds like a good move to me. Having games postponed due to a waterlogged pitch and then playing lots of games in quick succession seems to be working rather well at the moment. Spending money on the players rather than the pitch would be the priority for me. 

It's tricky. We have lost major revenue from our home games this season especially from the away end due to playing rearranged games on a Tues. Utd and Falkirk especially being the bigger supported clubs in the league would normally bring in several hundred to the gate. However Falkirk probably contributed about 50 on Tuesday. Who knows whether a relaid pitch would have made a difference or if it more the ush of the pitch or the more extreme weather.

18 minutes ago, Stirling Observer said:

It's tricky. We have lost major revenue from our home games this season especially from the away end due to playing rearranged games on a Tues. Utd and Falkirk especially being the bigger supported clubs in the league would normally bring in several hundred to the gate. However Falkirk probably contributed about 50 on Tuesday. Who knows whether a relaid pitch would have made a difference or if it more the ush of the pitch or the more extreme weather.

Totally agree with that statement , the money we must have lost due to not playing on Saturday has to be a worry.

Hospitality, travelling fans, occasional supporters they will be well down from a Saturday afternoon to a wet Tuesday night.

How much more potential is there for budget cuts?

For next season, Of the players left over from the squad that got relegated, only Warren and Polworth (and Fon Williams, who presumably is being paid by the American club) will still be on contracts signed when we were a Premiership club - Tremarco and Brad McKay having of course signed new deals whilst we were in the Championship.

So even if we were burdened with loads of onerous contracts after relegation, we shouldn't have the same burden next year.

So now the 2018/19 squad looks like this: 

Goalkeepers - C. Mackay, Ridgers (and Fon Williams, technically!)

Defenders - Chalmers, Donaldson, McKay, Seedorf, Tremarco, Warren

Midfielders - Calder, Elbouzedi, Polworth, Trafford

Forwards - Austin, Oakley

That leaves uncertainty over the futures of Esson, Doran, Mulraney, Vigurs and Baird, as well as youngsters such as Daniel Mackay (I think its safe to assume Baird ain't coming back)

12 hours ago, Shorty said:

don' t think a board member should be discussing such negative issues in public.

• Agree 5

If true, then surely the question has to be why we were committing to such spending in the first place?

It wasn't that long ago the Chairman issued a statement saying the club was still trying to secure further investment to get us through the season and, unless they are totally winging it (entirely possible) then, it's not just in the last few days they'll have decided budget cuts for the footballing dept....so we likely never had the necessary funds!

More empty promises?

• Agree 1
  • Facepalm 1

17 hours ago, Shorty said:

Was that the same day as your auntie's bingo partner told her she'd heard in the supermarket that Ronaldo had been seen in Dingwall and heading for the Global Energy Stadium?

I'm NOT in any way suggesting that the club's activities should be exempt from scrutiny or criticism on this forum - when this is based on evidence which is sufficiently authenticated. However this is at least the second instance of an aspect of the club's alleged governance which is currently being examined on here, but based on evidence which is at best unclear (notwithstanding which, the apparently aggrieved caleyboy, with all the characteristics of Death and Taxes, pops up both times and takes a snipe.)

In the case of the quoted post, judgement is being passed on the basis of things which Gordy Fyfe is alleged to have told a friend of Shorty's uncle. I think I would prefer somewhat more reliable evidence on the source, and that the alleged course of action is actually taking place, before I passed judgement on anything.

Then, in another thread, we at least have the image of a document apparently listing sanctions for misbehaviour - with Twitter the only source listed. But once again, no attempt is made to evaluate or authenticate this document. For instance, what is it? What is its purpose? Does it constitute definite policy or is it a list of proposals from one individual or what? Who created it? Is it created privately, a leaked internal memo, or intended for public consumption? Notwithstanding all these questions, it still seems to have been treated in the same way as a formal website statement might have been.

What the board actually does rightly is, and rightly should be, appraised by supporters. But first of all, this really does need to be based on something a bit more reliable than what Shorty's uncle's friend is claimed to have been told.

• Facepalm 1

59 minutes ago, Charles Bannerman said:

What the board actually does

How about you kick things of with a list of what the board actually does/has done and we'll take it from there 👍

9 minutes ago, CaleyD said:

How about you kick things of with a list of what the board actually does/has done and we'll take it from there 👍

You'll have to wait until I get a hold of Shorty's uncle's pal so I can check I've got it right.

Please note, as illustrated at the start of the second paragraph of my last post, that I was in no way seeking to pass judgement in either direction on what the board does. I was a full step short of that since I was only at the stage of attempting to establish the accuracy or otherwise of two claims to that effect.

• Facepalm 1

7 minutes ago, Charles Bannerman said:

You'll have to wait until I get a hold of Shorty's uncle's pal so I can check I've got it right.

Please note, as illustrated at the start of the second paragraph of my last post, that I was in no way seeking to pass judgement in either direction on what the board does. I was a full step short of that since I was only at the stage of attempting to establish the accuracy or otherwise of two claims to that effect.

Not passing judgement on the board, but quite happy to do so with fans?

I don't disagree on the dangers of taking these rumours at face value....which is why I started my response with "if true".  However, as I'm pretty sure you have alluded to in the past, when there's a lack of meaningful communication then you can't really be surprised that the information vacuum is filled with stuff like that.

In regards to the document. I couldn't say with 100% certainty that it's real and came from the club, but it's a little elaborate for someone to be putting together for a bit of mischief making.

I'd also add that I don't think the idea of a disciplinary matrix is a bad idea as people know where they stand and what to expect if they cross the line.  However, you have to be very careful where you place that line, that punishment is proportionate and that it's communicate in the correct manner to all.  As is, it kinda looks like a very specific group have been targeted and that's only going to fuel claims of discrimination.

• Agree 1

Worth nothing this regarding Jake Mulraney's girlfriend. Could very well mean a long term stay with us