Sign in to follow this  
Caman

Contracts - Who to get tied up?

We've had plenty players over the years who've not justified the high wages they were allegedly on....so not sure that theory debunks the assertion that it's happened this season.

The club has already spent £450k (that we know of) beyond it's means for this season....so spending money on things we can't afford doesn't seem to be an issue.

As I said above...no way to prove it one way or the other...so claims that it's true are every bit as credible as claims that it's false.

2 hours ago, ictchris said:

Big fan of people Twitter stalking our players girlfriend's pals to work out if we are going to sign them on an extended contract 

Follow Brad Mckay. Most of his friends on there are orange skinned Edinburgh lassies.

I think he must be the President of the Oompah Loompah nation.

• Sad 1

We put Zschuchen on a big contract, assuming that we'd make the money back selling jerseys with his name on them, costs extra for all those letters.

• Facepalm 1

3 year contract offered to Vigurs according to Robbo's press conference after the Dumbarton game. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ictchris said:

Offering a three year contract to a 30 year old?  Hmmm.

We did the same with Foran did we not? Spent much of it injured.  

1 minute ago, Fraz said:

We did the same with Foran did we not? Spent much of it injured.  

I think so.  He had years left on his playing deal when he became manager, I'm sure.

Vigurs has probably been our most important player this season and he can really play, I think he's been great.  He's also matured into the team's leader.  However, offering contracts based on what's just happened can be short sighted.  Is Vigurs going to be as good in three years time?  Is there anyone similar we could get on a smaller salary, someone younger?  Could we promote a youth player?

Could be that this is the best thing to do, I hope it is.  I just hope that it's been properly considered.

• Agree 1
  • Facepalm 1

21 minutes ago, ictchris said:

I think so.  He had years left on his playing deal when he became manager, I'm sure.

Vigurs has probably been our most important player this season and he can really play, I think he's been great.  He's also matured into the team's leader.  However, offering contracts based on what's just happened can be short sighted.  Is Vigurs going to be as good in three years time?  Is there anyone similar we could get on a smaller salary, someone younger?  Could we promote a youth player?

Could be that this is the best thing to do, I hope it is.  I just hope that it's been properly considered.

I'd be happy to see Iain sign the 3 Year deal - he will probably have other (financially better, I'm sure) offers & maybe the stability of a long deal will persuade him to sign up? 

Vigurs has been one of (barring his disciplinary record) our best players this season & we would badly miss him if he left - I'm with Robbo on that one!

Anyway, if he is 33 at the end of the contract, to me, that isn't excessively old - plenty of decent midfielders who've played at a high level & been older. 

I'm all for youth, but some experienced hands are needed too!

• Like 1

He'll be no older than David Raven is now....and there's not many of us wouldn't have him back in a heartbeat!!

• Agree 2

I hope he stays along with Polly they have developed a really good partnership this season and could be pivotal in getting back up next season. 

If we don’t make it up this year obv:smile:iously 

• Agree 1

Vigurs on a three year deal would be a good deal for ICT and for him. Hopes this happens. 

I take it that any contract offers at this stage will take account of the different divisions we might be playing in.  Nevertheless, it would be entirely reasonable for players to hold off making a decision until; they know which division we will be playing in next year.   But having said that, I'm not sure I like this going public on saying a player has been offered a contract.  Presumably, the fact that Robbo is not saying Vigurs has signed a contract means he has not accepted the offer.  It just highlights to other clubs that he might be available.  Rather than Vigurs waiting to see what division we will be in next year, this smacks to me of the club not being able to offer what the player wants and there being little chance of some meeting in the middle.  Coming out and saying an offer has been made is the club making it clear that they want to keep Vigurs, but that if he leaves then it is not the club's wish.

I really hope Vigurs does sign a deal.  He has been the stand out player this season and we have nobody else with the ability to control and dominate a game in the way that he does.  It will be interesting to see how we cope against Dunfermline on Saturday without Vigurs' bite in midfield. 

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, ictchris said:

Offering a three year contract to a 30 year old?  Hmmm.

I, for one, would be delighted if he accepted. He needs to improve his discipline but, with Vigurs in the team, we are far far better than we are without and it shows at least some ambition on the part of the club despite our constrained financial circumstances.

• Agree 2

I really hope that Vigures signs the new 3 year deal. We need stability in the squad now and need to keep our best players, and he is one of the best midfielders in this league.