Sign in to follow this  
Caman

Irn Bru Cup semi final

1 hour ago, dougal said:

Crusaders away would surely create a security risk you only need to look at the Linfield v Celtic tie this season to see what problems can occur 

having said that I suppose someone could wear a  long sleeved top to cover up any inflammatory ink work 

Dougal 

Why would it be a risk?

So Dougal are you suggesting we are a club with supporters that sit on the Catholic side of the sectarian divide? Where did that come from? With our colours we're more likely to be warmly welcomed by the Crusaders' fans. I can't think why you wish to bring bigotry into it anyway. I was glad to get away from that when I left the Central Belt almost 30 years ago. Any time we play the Old Scum at the TCS I hate the "folk singing" from both sets of fans.

On the bright side, Belfast City centre is a great place to visit, the bars are lively and the Guinness is great. It only takes 35 minutes to fly there unless you are on a Flybe Bombardier with technical problems. Perhaps a couple of charters with another airline could be arranged instead. 

Edited by Row S

Dougal--What's inflammatory ink work pray? 

Is it that stuff that the Northern Tribes used to dawb their faces with at the time when the  Romans arrived, like the Crusaders of which you speak, and it was the Romans that dubbed these Northern tribes in Scotland as ..."the PICTII."     ie.savages  covered with  pictures, like.

That's inflammatory speaking but a thoughtful post since these pictures could either distract the opposition or scare the pants off them like the Māori's did, or still do?  Ha! 

On the subject of the Pictii,  they opposed the Romans in a final  2-day  battle at Mons Graupius in Aberdeenshire which was the last battle I think fought by the Romans in Scotland (which the PIcts lost)...or England.  By then their war chests were well nigh empty and they beatled off back to the place where they came from at that point in time .i.e Rome.

:laugh:

Well done Dougal on whooshing people as your second sentence was obviously aimed at one prominent poster who will probably be along in a minute and will be rolling his sleeves up in preparation.

However the first paragraph is just inflammatory nonsense. Linfield v Celtic? Red herring. Livi played Crues last season at Seaview and had a great time. Having already been at Windsor Park and The Oval I'd love to go there and I'm sure the blue and red would be made very welcome.

Dumbarton away by the way is not the worst ever , but I fear our bubbles will be burst by a home draw on a freezing February Sunday afternoon.

I'm in Manchester for a gig on the Saturday, so my ideal draw would be BBC Alba showing our game (whatever the opponent) on the Friday night or Sunday afternoon. 

#armchairloyal

14 hours ago, dougal said:

Crusaders away would surely create a security risk you only need to look at the Linfield v Celtic tie this season to see what problems can occur 

having said that I suppose someone could wear a  long sleeved top to cover up any inflammatory ink work 

Dougal 

Would long sleeves cover up deliberately inflammatory posts just as well ?

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

Home to Crusaders. Yes!!

I say that as,

- A home tie will mean a bigger crowd than an away tie. Therefore, more cash for the club as I assume the cash will be shared. Likely to be TV Cash as well for the club.

- A home tie should be an advantage for us on the pitch.

- Playing an unfamiliar team will be refreshing.

- Good chance of getting to a cup final. 

- Going to TCS will cost me next to nothing. I know I'm a tight ass, but at least I'm honest!!

:ictscarf:

Edited by Caman

Pleased with that draw. Maybe not a major competition but we are now in the semi finals with a chance of winning silverware and the novelty of welcoming brand new opponents to the Longman.

Price this reasonably and surely even the apathetic Inverness public should be atttracted along. Anything under three thousand would be a disappointment. We need to start marketing this widely.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

Pleased with that draw. Maybe not a major competition but we are now in the semi finals with a chance of winning silverware and the novelty of welcoming brand new opponents to the Longman.

Price this reasonably and surely even the apathetic Inverness public should be atttracted along. Anything under three thousand would be a disappointment. We need to start marketing this widely.

Fair point re marketing this. Tie is due on the February long weekend for the schools. 

I was hoping for a home draw against one of the non Scottish teams, so delighted with this.

Just need to beat them now!

They sit third in the Northern Ireland Premiership with 29 points from 13 games.

This will be a tough test.  Personally I would have preferred to play them in Belfast.  If anyone wants to see Crusaders  in action, I see their match tomorrow (15 Nov), v Linfield is on BBC 'Red button'.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Caley Mad In Berks said:

This will be a tough test.  Personally I would have preferred to play them in Belfast.  If anyone wants to see Crusaders  in action, I see their match tomorrow (15 Nov), v Linfield is on BBC 'Red button'.

Hopefully, Robbo will be watching and taking notice 

It's a bit of an anti-climax in that it isn't an away tie, but at least it's a home tie against a new club and not the same old borefest of Falkirk, Dunfermline, Dundee United etc. who we've played umpteen times before.  I've seen a few folk saying that they're happy it's a home draw to boost our chances but I don't think it really matters.  Crusaders are probably the weakest side left in the competition.  We know Dumbarton and TNS are decent sides, but Crusaders made it through beating the Motherwell U20s at home, Cove Rangers and a Dundee United side filled with kids.  Hardly world-class opposition.

I think getting 3,000 in is a bit optimistic but if we market it well and have reasonable ticket prices, we should see about 2,000ish.  I'm quite sure we'll make it to the final.  We should get past Crues fairly easily I'd imagine.

Edited by Renegade

If anyone's interested, Crusaders were actually the focus if a BBC documentary last month on BBC Northern Ireland. A good watch ... 

True North, Series 9: 1. Crusaders - Keeping the Faith: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b09bdx7c via @bbciplayer

Edited by cif73

12 minutes ago, cif73 said:

If anyone's interested, Crusaders were actually the focus if a BBC documentary last month on BBC Northern Ireland. A good watch ... 

True North, Series 9: 1. Crusaders - Keeping the Faith: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b09bdx7c via @bbciplayer

I watched this the other week.  A decent documentary.  Were we not meant to play Crusaders once before in the Terry Butcher years?  We definitely had a game lined up against Linfield once but I'm sure there was another game that got cancelled, though it may have been Cliftonville.

Think, as others have said, that we should push hard to market this game, with it being Crusaders we are playing - it's something different.

Cheap tickets & lots of offers to encourage a big crowd (although I think a funny kick off time & possibly televised may put paid to that).

I'm kinda disappointed it isn't an away tie (I fancied a trip to Belfast or Oswestry....or Dumbarton...hmmm😀), but from the clubs point of view, it's a good draw. 

Suprised TNS & Crusaders didn't draw each other, to be honest...still a possibility of not having any Scottish clubs in the final.. 

Edited by jingsmonty
Typos in post

Assuming we get to the final, I would hope the SPFL respect our geographical location and not make us travel any further than McDiarmid Park regardless of the opposition and the fact that in all previous rounds TNS and Dumbarton have been drawn at home. 

On 13/11/2017 at 10:01 PM, dougal said:

Dougal 

Why would it be a ris

53 minutes ago, Row S said:

Assuming we get to the final, I would hope the SPFL respect our geographical location and not make us travel any further than McDiarmid Park regardless of the opposition and the fact that in all previous rounds TNS and Dumbarton have been drawn at home. 

If new saints get through their geographical location is a lot further than perth

Disappointed it's not in Belfast as it would be home game for me but at least it should be a comfortable win.