Sign in to follow this  
Caman

Irn Bru Cup semi final

Recommended Posts

57 minutes ago, Hiro said:

Disappointed it's not in Belfast as it would be home game for me but at least it should be a comfortable win.

I sincerely hope that the manager and the team don't share your complancy. We are in no position to take anything for granted. Crusaders are in the semi finals on merit.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Should it be a Caley Thistle -vs- Dumbarton final, Perth would be the logical location.  If it's unavailable then one would presume it'll be one of the Dundee grounds (or, anticipating small supports, they could play the game in a stadium mid-way between Inverness and Dumbarton - Claggan Park in Fort William!).

If it's TNS, it's a different animal.  Do you make it as neutral as possible - ie - Motherwell, Hamilton, Maryhill (though I wouldn't be at all surprised to see some clown move it to Rugby Park)?  Or do you play it as locally to the Scottish side as possible and try and get a bigger crowd than you would if it was in the Central Belt?  In that case, play it at Dingwall or Elgin?  From what I gather, TNS don't have many supporters in general, far less thousands who'd come up to Scotland for a game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Renegade said:

 a stadium mid-way between Inverness and Dumbarton - Claggan Park in Fort William!).

 

You are being pretty optimistic there. Claggan Park is only ever playable on mid summer's day in leap years! :crazy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 If it was either TNS or CRUSADERS Inverness would be a good venue as both sets of fans can fly to Inverness better chance of promoting local support for the final and the TCS can provide 2000 away fans seating 

  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

I sincerely hope that the manager and the team don't share your complancy. We are in no position to take anything for granted. Crusaders are in the semi finals on merit.

I'm genuinely not being complacent. I think its a giod draw for us.  I see Irish League Football every week as I live locally and the standard is League 1/2 on a good day. This should be a comfortable win if we take it seriously.

Crusaders have beaten Cove Rangers, Motherwell under 20's and a Dundee United 2nd string so I wouldn't read too much into that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, MorayJaggie said:

 If it was either TNS or CRUSADERS Inverness would be a good venue as both sets of fans can fly to Inverness better chance of promoting local support for the final and the TCS can provide 2000 away fans seating 

What a good shout and I rarely hand out a Feckin dot :cheer01:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having cup finals in a team's home stadium seems to be a bit of a no-no in Britain.  It does happen abroad though - Australia being one where it happens every year but that's more for geographical reasons I'd imagine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Renegade said:

Having cup finals in a team's home stadium seems to be a bit of a no-no in Britain.  It does happen abroad though - Australia being one where it happens every year but that's more for geographical reasons I'd imagine.

Unless you happen to be one of the ugly sisters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Renegade said:

Having cup finals in a team's home stadium seems to be a bit of a no-no in Britain.  It does happen abroad though - Australia being one where it happens every year but that's more for geographical reasons I'd imagine.

Happens in MLS too .... MLS Cup final goes to whichever team in the final finished highest in the league. This year's final will either be in Toronto (for 2nd year in a row), or Columbus, Ohio (who hosted the previous 2) .... Until 2010 (when it was held in Toronto between Colorado and Dallas) they used to specify a location but I think the geography was a big factor. I went to that final in 2010 (it was included with my season ticket) but 20,000 neutrals in a ground did not make for a good atmosphere for a final. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have it at neutral ground at Grant St Park.  Capacity of 3000 should be enough.  Put up a big screen at TCS if not.

But first, lets not for a moment underestimate Crusaders.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Renegade said:

Having cup finals in a team's home stadium seems to be a bit of a no-no in Britain.  It does happen abroad though - Australia being one where it happens every year but that's more for geographical reasons I'd imagine.

Happens in norn iron doesn't it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

McDairmaid Park would be a great venue for the final (as it was in 2003), but would maybe guess St Mirren Park?

As has been said already - we should definetly NOT underestimate Crusaders & treat the semi final with respect!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am pretty sure we won't under estimate Crusaders. 

I think (we the fans) under estimated our opponents in the Championship at the start of this season. 

Look what that led to!! 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Caman said:

I am pretty sure we won't under estimate Crusaders. 

I think (we the fans) under estimated our opponents in the Championship at the start of this season. 

Look what that led to!! 

Speak for yourself, many of us knew and predicted that this would be a tough division that our newly assembled squad would take time to come to grips with.

There is not a huge difference in ability between the bottom half dozen in the Premiership and the top half dozen in this league. If things were organised for the benefit of fans and sporting merit we would have a sensible top league of 18 with each team playing each other once home and away.

All that drives and maintains the current arrangement is greed and self interest.

Edited by Kingsmills
  • Agree 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope the powers that be get the date sorted soon.  3 of my golfing pals and I intend to fly up for this one, so the sooner we know the date, the cheaper the flights will be, and maybe the accommodation too. Hope to see some of you in the Innes pre match.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Caley Mad In Berks said:

I hope the powers that be get the date sorted soon.  3 of my golfing pals and I intend to fly up for this one, so the sooner we know the date, the cheaper the flights will be, and maybe the accommodation too. Hope to see some of you in the Innes pre match.

It'll almost certainly be the Saturday.  NI clubs don't normally play on a Sunday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Renegade said:

It'll almost certainly be the Saturday.  NI clubs don't normally play on a Sunday.

I hope you're right.  Much prefer Saturday matches myself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Knowing the priorities of the Scottish football authorities, it will be played on whatever date and whatever time the SPFL think will generate most income for them without much thought being given to the convenience of fans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Day/time will be dictated by television.

Also, to answer a point from further up in the thread, there's no specific additional money for TV games in this tournament (it's thrown into the overall tournament prize pot).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Afternoon  all, Crues fan here in peace. Very much looking forward to a weekend in the Heiland (I'll be coming up from the English West Midlands).

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Duncan Gardner said:

Afternoon  all, Crues fan here in peace. Very much looking forward to a weekend in the Heiland (I'll be coming up from the English West Midlands).

Welcome. Book your hotel early they are expensive here. Highland schools have a long weekend when the match is on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheers. Like the other England-based travellers above, I fancy taking in the local sights. Not a golfer, more likely hiking, Culloden etc. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Duncan Gardner said:

Cheers. Like the other England-based travellers above, I fancy taking in the local sights. Not a golfer, more likely hiking, Culloden etc. ;)

You should take in some local sights. Bath is famous for it's Royal Crescent. In Inverness we have Carnac Crescent.

  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.