Michael O`Neill

Ten4

On 13/11/2017 at 8:53 PM, Ten4 said:

Touted for the Scotland Job?

But hold on - rewarding his N.I. failure to get to Russia with a bigger job in Scotland.

It doesn`t add up with me I`m afraid

Failing to qualify for the World Club does not mean that he is a failure as a manager.  He has done a fantastic job for Northern Ireland.  They were no-hopers when he arrived and yet he took them to their first ever European finals and they were agonisingly close to qualifying for Russia.  Northern Ireland are not exactly blessed with many decent players at the moment but yet he has produced a team that are hard to beat and which has, by N.Ireland standards, been one of the most successful sides ever.

His record as Northern Ireland's manager is why the SFA along with big clubs like The Rangers and Sunderland are keen to get his services.  When Scotland has such a fantastic record of producing great club managers, it would be a bit of a shame if Scotland appointed a non Scot.  However, if O'Neill is to be the man, it will be because he wants to coach a national side rather than a club side and I think he would do a terrific job for Scotland.

7 hours ago, DoofersDad said:

Failing to qualify for the World Club does not mean that he is a failure as a manager.  He has done a fantastic job for Northern Ireland.  They were no-hopers when he arrived and yet he took them to their first ever European finals and they were agonisingly close to qualifying for Russia.  Northern Ireland are not exactly blessed with many decent players at the moment but yet he has produced a team that are hard to beat and which has, by N.Ireland standards, been one of the most successful sides ever.

His record as Northern Ireland's manager is why the SFA along with big clubs like The Rangers and Sunderland are keen to get his services.  When Scotland has such a fantastic record of producing great club managers, it would be a bit of a shame if Scotland appointed a non Scot.  However, if O'Neill is to be the man, it will be because he wants to coach a national side rather than a club side and I think he would do a terrific job for Scotland.

I would much rather have a competent and successful manager of the national team than a Scottish one.

• tm4tj locked this topic