CLUB STATEMENT : AGM & Annual Report : 23/11/17

ICTFC

29 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

Or has a knowledge of football which is lacking in the board as currently constituted.

from what i hear kingsmills, GB is being geared up for that role (but not nominated for agm) and that takes care of the football bit. i haven't got a clue who the nominee is other than he is being proposed by MM. i have also heard another name mentioned but if true i don't know what he'll bring to the table as he certainly isn't known to spend any cash.

Edited by caleyboy

So what all this infers is that Tulloch has been our saviours in recent years and we owe them a great deal for their generous and much needed support? Correct?

By the way IF (and that's a big, and possibly unlikely, "IF for a variety of reasons having been in Canada for  half a lifetime) I were to return to Inverness to die does Tulloch build private homes close to or in Inverness?

I expect IHE or some other clever chappie will jump on this posting.            I'm battening down the hatches as I speak........:lol::wave:

As I have said many times before, we should be looking to attract directors  prepared to invest substantial investment or with genuine inroads into attracting investors, or have a sizeable existing shareholding. Anyone standing for this position should be asked to present their case to shareholders prior to any vote. The position of Director of football is different as we know what his/her  role is within the board. Appointing directors because we only have 3 is a bad idea.

Edited by caleyboy

7 hours ago, Scarlet Pimple said:

So what all this infers is that Tulloch has been our saviours in recent years and we owe them a great deal for their generous and much needed support? Correct?

By the way IF (and that's a big, and possibly unlikely, "IF for a variety of reasons having been in Canada for  half a lifetime) I were to return to Inverness to die does Tulloch build private homes close to or in Inverness?

I expect IHE or some other clever chappie will jump on this posting.            I'm battening down the hatches as I speak........:lol::wave:

They do, on our stadium car parks?

• Funny 1

11 hours ago, caleyboy said:

from what i hear kingsmills, GB is being geared up for that role (but not nominated for agm) and that takes care of the football bit. i haven't got a clue who the nominee is other than he is being proposed by MM. i have also heard another name mentioned but if true i don't know what he'll bring to the table as he certainly isn't known to spend any cash.

I am not sure I agree that that does take care of the football bit. Graeme Bennett did a fine job once upon a time especially in identifying and appointing managers and was a good Director of Football in his day.

However, that day was a very long time ago now and, in my view, we need someone with more up to date knowledge of the current Scottish football scene.

Turning the clock back with the appointment of Robbo was a risk which, after a very shaky start, now seems to be paying off but IO remain very far from convinced that we should be taking a similar risk in this respect.

• Agree 2

In regards to last season's financial strategy, budgeting for seventh is fair enough, but it's how you use it.  Bare in mind, the likes of Lewis Horner and Dean Ebbe were probably on buttons, so what on Earth were some of the others on?!  I'm sure I recollect hearing that Scott Boden was somewhere in the region of £2,000 a week!  If he had whacked in 30 goals a season then that would be one thing, but he was absolutely useless.

To give Foran some benefit of the doubt, some of his signings looked good in theory but didn't turn out as expected.  Big things were obviously expected from the aforementioned Boden, while Billy King was looked upon as a very good signing that summer but never really hit the heights expected.  I imagine a lot of hope was put on Kevin McNaughton (and he may have been a big player for us) before he missed almost the full season through injury.  Larnell Cole came with experience of the English Premier League but usually blew cold.  Doumbouya was pretty hopeless as well, while Henri Anier had had a couple of purple patches in the past but was absolutely terrible.  Other players didn't have the best of seasons.  Fon Williams was often injured and on a poor run of form, Raven and Warren weren't at their best, Meekings and Doran got injured, Tansey and Draper weren't fantastic while Billy Mckay returned as the player he was when he first arrived at the club in 2011 and was nowhere near as good as the player he was when he joined Wigan.

In saying that though, Foran did have a team that was altogether not actually that bad.  We certainly didn't have the worst squad in the league and unquestionably, man for man, had a better squad than Hamilton Academical.  On top of that, we probably had a side equal to, or better, than Kilmarnock, Dundee and Motherwell.  Despite this though, it was poor management and poor tactics that killed us.  Foran was tactically naive, began playing a very primitive desperate long ball game and his petty falling out with Alex Fisher (who was clearly the best striker we had) was the main reason we were relegated. 

• Agree 1

Last season there were 7 players who were on OVER 2k a week including Boden who was the last of Hughes signings and Foran did not want him but could not stop it.  Boden and Meekings have now moved on but we still have 5 left who are now on slightly less which is still big wages for a club like ours to be paying out.

Some thoughtful and interesting points made above.

Once the dust of relegation settles further, have brought back Fisher (:happy:) and John Robertson  has slowly and painfully kept up his changes, then if we can stay in the top half of the Division by the end of the season  I think we may well say he has done a very good job.

Then renew his contract for next season, quickly divest the non performers  or non-contributors and work hard to carefully consider what positions require adjustments and resolve to never pay the huge wages  as stated above ever again. 2,000 pounds per week is utter insanity --which is the current Canadian dollar equivalent  of $170, 560 per year. If that is not complete insanity I don't know what is. Unless the wages were only for a few weeks in the playing season  and players don't get paid when the season stops.

What troubles me is the question of who on the Board agreed to pay anyone in a club  that kind of money, unless it was a very short term deal to get the club over a desperate and immediate hump? Why, young Mackay in the reserves could have probably done a more enthusiastic and heartfelt job for absolute peanuts.

Or where is my thinking going wrong here and what am I missing  in the big picture?

48 minutes ago, Scarlet Pimple said:

Some thoughtful and interesting points made above.

Once the dust of relegation settles further, have brought back Fisher (:happy:) and John Robertson  has slowly and painfully kept up his changes, then if we can stay in the top half of the Division by the end of the season  I think we may well say he has done a very good job.

Then renew his contract for next season, quickly divest the non performers  or non-contributors and work hard to carefully consider what positions require adjustments and resolve to never pay the huge wages  as stated above ever again. 2,000 pounds per week is utter insanity --which is the current Canadian dollar equivalent  of $170, 560 per year. If that is not complete insanity I don't know what is. Unless the wages were only for a few weeks in the playing season  and players don't get paid when the season stops.

What troubles me is the question of who on the Board agreed to pay anyone in a club  that kind of money, unless it was a very short term deal to get the club over a desperate and immediate hump? Why, young Mackay in the reserves could have probably done a more enthusiastic and heartfelt job for absolute peanuts.

Or where is my thinking going wrong here and what am I missing  in the big picture?

it seems kenny cameron gets the nod for most of this cos all of the scottish cup acclaim went to his heed!

• Agree 1

59 minutes ago, IBM said:

Last season there were 7 players who were on OVER 2k a week.

I am not passing judgement either way on that statement, but I would like to fill in the "citation required" box before I was prepared to accept it. In other words, how credible is the source of that information? What evidence is there to back it up?

There is, however, plenty of evidence that basic wages were, in general, unrealistically high last season, and probably had been for some time before that. (On the other hand it could be argued that wages are unrealistically high throughout football, but that's another question.) The chairman's report tells us that overall expenditure on football - with first team wages undoubtedly by far the biggest component of that - was £2.704M which was the third highest ever. It seems highly likely that the top two expenditures will have been in years when performances, which also brought in a lot of money, required the payment of player bonuses.

On the other hand, last season was so utterly devoid of success that bonuses would surely have been minimal, so this "third highest" figure would have been almost entirely for basic wages.... which hence must have been pretty high. Set that alongside the accounts not getting much back from performance payments and a £422K loss becomes quite unsurprising.

Now that's no more than a statement of probability based on available evidence and in no way equates to the categorical assertion that seven players were on £2K+ per week.

1 hour ago, Charles Bannerman said:

Is that not just a euphemism for finding wealthy people who will subsidise one of many fundamentally loss making football clubs club with monetary gifts?

maybe but shareholders need to know what value he or she will bring to the club and at the moment that's money!

52 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

Or the knowledge and ability to generate money.

i agree Kingsmills. if the individual is not personally making a substantial investment or representing someone who can, he/she should have proven ability to source/attract such investment. the dof job is different cos shareholders know exactly what the role is. IMO the days of appointing pals has gone.

Me too.  It's a shame I can't attend the AGM; it should be very interesting indeed!

For those who haven't seen the letter, the gist seems to be an allegation that Tullochs have been simply using the club to feather their own nest.  They suggest that the "gift" of the stands to the club is of little benefit to the club if Tullochs continue to own the lease and plan to develop the car parks.  They point out that the lease was originally granted to the club by the Council but appears to have changed hands at least 3 times.  They ask "Did the Club agree to the transfer of the Lease to property developers if there was no apparent benefit to the club?  If so - why?"  Given that they also say the lease has previously been valued at £30 million, that seems a very pertinent question.

They go on to say "This great club seems to have lost its way with private interests taking precedence over the good of the club.  This is shameful and totally at odds with the spirit of partnership between the Council, the Harbour Trust, HIE, and the original Highland League Clubs that characterised the birth of Caley Thistle.  The possibility of the demise of Caley Thistle in these circumstances is real. "

Serious and worrying stuff.  I assume that the signatories will be raising these issues at the AGM.  Of course, the current Board only has 3 directors with Allan MacKenzie and Graham Rae only being appointed in May of this year and Alan MacPhee in 2015.  It is a new Board and I for one have no idea what their take on this might be.  It certainly would appear to be significant that about a year after the announcement of the "gift" of the stands, the paper work surrounding this is still to be completed.  I think there have been 2 or 3 statements in the past saying that it is expected that the deal will be completed with the next couple of weeks, but it never happens.  Clearly there is more to it than meets the eye..

A further point is that this serious matter brings the ongoing concerns about CJT into focus.  CJT has a 10% vote on the Board on behalf of the supporters and yet appears to remain moribund.  It has put out an email to say it's AGM is on next Tuesday and yet 2 people who have previously been heavily involved in CJT have posted on this site to say they have received no notification.  There has not been a word from CJT on this, the supporters' forum, about the AGM.  

Both the Club and the supporters body find themselves in a unholy mess.  Hopefully this will not all dissolve into a hail of blame and recrimination.  What is needed now is for people with the interests of the Club at heart to come together and work constructively to sort all this mess out.  It doesn't look as though it will be an easy task.

Edited by DoofersDad
  • Agree 1

DD, forgive me but is the Brechin game not tomorrow night and the CJT AGM the next week - 5th December? There's not much that would make me miss a game but I share your concerns and might add a couple more so this would. I had to re-submit my membership on Saturday after being approached by a Board Member on the grounds that there was no basis in CJT's rules for continuing membership and that's why I hadn't heard anything. Ifound that curious but if it is the case, the terms of membership as understood by most members would seem to have been changed without recourse to the membership or without publicising the fact. I'm aware of CJT's struggle with its constitution over the past  while. If any member of CJT has not recieved notice of the AGM (and I still haven't) my best advice would be to download a membership form (Scotty has a link on this site) and get them in ASAP. You can then turn up at the AGM and question the Board as to why you have apparently been excluded.

16 minutes ago, davie said:

DD, forgive me but is the Brechin game not tomorrow night and the CJT AGM the next week - 5th December? There's not much that would make me miss a game but I share your concerns and might add a couple more so this would. I had to re-submit my membership on Saturday after being approached by a Board Member on the grounds that there was no basis in CJT's rules for continuing membership and that's why I hadn't heard anything. Ifound that curious but if it is the case, the terms of membership as understood by most members would seem to have been changed without recourse to the membership or without publicising the fact. I'm aware of CJT's struggle with its constitution over the past  while. If any member of CJT has not recieved notice of the AGM (and I still haven't) my best advice would be to download a membership form (Scotty has a link on this site) and get them in ASAP. You can then turn up at the AGM and question the Board as to why you have apparently been excluded.

You are quite right.  I realised my error and must have been editing my post whilst you were writing yours.  Apologies to you and anyone else who might have been confused by my confusion.

27 minutes ago, TheMantis said:

Should be a lively meeting then. The days of me trekking up the road for Caley/ICT AGMs are long gone so I'll just have to get Caley100 to learn Facetime or Skype or maybe Periscope :laugh:

A concerning post from DD and one that makes me wish that any meeting could be available for viewing on something like Skype for those of us non local fans.