Inverness CT -V- St Mirren

Scotty

8 minutes ago, Caman said:

Forgot to mention,

Tactically - why was Doran not brought on? Calder getting on ahead of Doran when we needed something different to get a goal? Calder is one of our poorest players and is no match winner. Doran - one of our best players. Strange and poor decision in my opinion. 

I assumed the heavy conditions meant Doran was not being risked. Mulraney was struggling in the conditions so no surprise he was hooked. 

• Agree 1

That was f****ng awful referee was the pits but St mirren came not to play football but cynically cheat for 90 minutes

Who the f***k comes to waste time 10 minutes into the second half, clearly targeted Bell for some heavy challenges and they were chipping away at Vigurs continually and finally got their rewards when he was sent off.

Awful team, with equally awful supporters. 

• Agree 4

10 minutes ago, Robert said:

I assumed the heavy conditions meant Doran was not being risked. Mulraney was struggling in the conditions so no surprise he was hooked. 

Fair enough. But Calder as first sub on?  Can't figure that one out. Trafford at least has some bite and shows interest, Calder doesn't. 

2 minutes ago, bigman said:

I know its not football but some of their supporters were snorting white powder from small plastic bags in the cafe modern football I suppose

Was the Referee at it with them? He was certainly on a different planet and one of them today!!!!

Edited by Guest

That ref was a total joke. A complete fool. 

On a separate note Robbo needs to have a real look a discipline - players all over the park losing the head and wasting time - Vigurs was good today (as was Polly in the first half) but you make your own luck and if you rage at someone you can expect cards, which costs games at times.

Not convinced Gary is up to it. I’ll reserve my opinion on the lead up to the penalty because it was hard to make out exactly who was a fault from where I was sat.

Baird had a few neat touches (and some honking ones!) but how much longer will we persevere with him up top? 

Well done again to Donaldson and Bell.

We can’t blame Robbo for going for it at the end, id rather lose 2-0 trying than 1-0 sitting in waiting for the ref to award another pen or free kick to them.

Edited by Northern_jaggie

10 minutes ago, old caley girl said:

Totally. One wayward tackle on Doran and the result doesnt bear thinking about 

Fair point. The weather was probably a factor, but the dirty b#######s that St Mirren were probably was the main factor in protecting Doran.

Edited by Guest

Poor conditions, poor referee and should have won game in the first half, but we carry no threat up front. 

Getting a goal scorer at our present level is a real problem, would suggest it would have to be a youngster that would move on if successful or an 'old pro' with one good season left in him. However new players cost money and we don't have the finance. Dark days ahead I fear.

7 minutes ago, Tree said:

For as long as we don’t have anyone else better.

Sorry do not agree missed another one on one again today could have changed the whole outcome.

He has had a consistent run and not achieved believe that now Oakley deserves game time. Not just the last 15 minutes either.

Did ok when he came on today not afraid of the physical stuff either , in fact the game was calling out for a more physical presence up front should have seen him earlier.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Caman said:

That s##t Ref, the St Mirren goalie assaulting Oakley (I think it was him).

It was Vigurs rather than Oakley but I agree entirely apart from that ... yes, s##t ref and yes, assault ... for which I couldn't see any justification.

Genuinely wondered if the ref was from Paisley wearing a St Mirren top as a base layer.

Edited by cif73
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, forresjags said:

Sorry do not agree missed another one on one again today could have changed the whole outcome.

He has had a consistent run and not achieved believe that now Oakley deserves game time. Not just the last 15 minutes either.

Did ok when he came on today not afraid of the physical stuff either , in fact the game was calling out for a more physical presence up front should have seen him earlier.

Don’t disagree that Baird is lacking but don’t see Oakley as the answer.

We need to bring someone in but unless Susan can be shipped this may be problematic.

6 minutes ago, Tree said:

Don’t disagree that Baird is lacking but don’t see Oakley as the answer.

We need to bring someone in but unless Susan can be shipped this may be problematic.

If he doesn't get a chance we will never know . IMO not had a chance to prove himself , I think Baird is living on his past reputation and on present form is struggling in his role as a lone striker.

43 minutes ago, Northern_jaggie said:

On a separate note Robbo needs to have a real look a discipline - players all over the park losing the head and wasting time - Vigurs was good today (as was Polly in the first half) but you make your own luck and if you rage at someone you can expect cards, which costs games at times.

Not convinced Gary is up to it. I’ll reserve my opinion on the lead up to the penalty because it was hard to make out exactly who was a fault from where I was sat.

I didn't really see much wrong with what Vigurs did. Plenty of players have a wee go at opponents who they fell have gone to ground pretty easily much like the Saints defender did today in the second half. If players are going to start getting carded for having a go at each verbally then we're going to be playing 7 v 8 before long. Whilst it's fair to say we definitely lost our heads today on this occasion I definitely fall down on the players side because some of those decisions today were absolutely mind boggling. Vigurs gets kicked, pushed and then shoved again by Smith in the first half and ends up getting booked somehow. Tremarco executes a perfect sliding tackle in the second half making no contact with the Saints player who throws himself to the ground and Tremarco is penalised. I don't believe that referees are biased but I do believe that some are not good enough and based on today McKendrick is barely good enough to be officiating amateur Sunday league games. 

ETA: I'm starting to worry that Warren is heading the same way as Munro in his final season at County where he fell away rapidly over the course of just a few months before he was eventually sent packing. I love Warren but as soon as he comes up against someone with any kind of pace whatsoever he falls apart.

Edited by RiG
  • Agree 3

8 minutes ago, Tree said:

From what I understand he is refusing to agree severance terms

OMG. Is that true? If it is, we signed a duffer and are stuck with him. 

Edited by Guest

6 minutes ago, RiG said:

I didn't really see much wrong with what Vigurs did. Plenty of players have a wee go at opponents who they fell have gone to ground pretty easily much like the Saints defender did today in the second half. If players are going to start getting carded for having a go at each verbally then we're going to be playing 7 v 8 before long. Whilst it's fair to say we definitely lost our heads today on this occasion I definitely fall down on the players side because some of those decisions today were absolutely mind boggling. Vigurs gets kicked, pushed and then shoved again by Smith in the first half and ends up getting booked somehow. Tremarco executes a perfect sliding tackle in the second half making no contact with the Saints player who throws himself to the ground and Tremarco is penalised. I don't believe that referees are biased but I do believe that some are not good enough and based on today McKendrick is barely good enough to be officiating amateur Sunday league games. 

ETA: I'm starting to worry that Warren is heading the same way as Munro in his final season at County where he fell away rapidly over the course of just a few months before he was eventually sent packing. I love Warren but as soon as he comes up against someone with any kind of pace whatsoever he falls apart.

Im fairly mild mannered but Id have thumped that ref today if Id been on the pitch. Thought the players did well considering. 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

12 minutes ago, Caman said:

OMG. Is that true? If it is, we signed a duffer and are stuck with him. 

We always sign some form of player make out he's the next best thing and he sits in the back ground and gets let go. Last i heard Robbo say was he is a big stricker and won't get pushed off the ball so much and can hold his own not like baird and bell. We need height up front at the end of the day

11 minutes ago, old caley girl said:

Im fairly mild mannered but Id have thumped that ref today if Id been on the pitch. Thought the players did well considering. 

I'm (not) ashamed to say my head was completely gone by the end of the game.

St Mirren were probably the best opponent we've faced at TCS this season. Unfortunately, all the decent football they played was overshadowed by the scummy side of their game. Late tackles, off the ball assaults, play acting, time wasting, picking fights with the opposition dugout - think Billy Reids Hamilton team but worse. Sadly they had the referee in their pocket today. I've never seen an official take so much abuse - the fact he never booked anyone for it was almost endearing, clearly the man has no ego unlike so many others in that line of work - but he was still abysmal.   

That said, we still had it in our own hands to win the game. Missed chances, poor final balls and questionable tactical decisions cost us. Warren at fault for the first goal - he seems to struggle with one on one situations these days. I still think he has the drive and experience to contribute to the team, perhaps as a midfield anchor role or target man - but his best days as a center half are behind him. We dominated the first half, but failed to adapt to conditions in the second when the pitch was virtually a duck pond. Oakley should have been introduced sooner along with a root one approach IMO.

Hard to be too critical of anyone today to be fair, it was fecking Baltic out there. Not a day for football!   

• Agree 1

Like many others I don't like complaining about refs but that bloke today was mince.

St Mirren to be fair were really up for the scrap as we were. We badly need a big ugly mobile target up front as Baird is lost there on his own. I thought Vigurs was MOM and how their keeper stayed on beggars belief. The problem with Vigurs is that he is an easy target If I was an opposing manager I would simply tell my players to get right in about his face and he will react,

It's not impossible for us to get a top 4 place yet but we need a few wins on the bounce starting Tuesday, I hope the game is on.

• Agree 1

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic