Sign in to follow this  
Caman

New Striker

Recommended Posts

Couple of queries

1. Who should be our first choice strikers? 

2. Who should we get in during January?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. I'd try Doran and Bell. I think Doran could fit in there and his passing and technical ability could open up defences for Bell and even Polworth and Mulraney to run onto.

2. Not sure about this one. Another obscure find maybe?

Edited by Caman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. Warren, Bell and Doran.

2. Adam Rooney and Billy Mckay - I know we probably couldn't afford them but their current clubs don't seem to see them as first choice any more.

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Row S said:

2. Adam Rooney and Billy Mckay - I know we probably couldn't afford them but their current clubs don't seem to see them as first choice any more.

There is the small matter of a £422K loss for the last financial year and now cutting expenditure by £1.3M - which would leave a loss of "just" £300K for the current year. The question therefore maybe becomes - how possible would it be to take in anyone at all?

Edited by Charles Bannerman
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Row S said:

1. Warren, Bell and Doran.

2. Adam Rooney and Billy Mckay - I know we probably couldn't afford them but their current clubs don't seem to see them as first choice any more.

Never has the word probably been more superfluous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Billy McKay - really?

The key to getting out of this league much as staying in the Premiership is scoring goals and having a striker capable of 15+ per season. Defences can be organised and midfield styles of play adapted but without a guy to bang the gaols in, you're always up against it. While cutting costs was required, we should have fought to keep Fisher - he would have cigared this league. Even a player like Anier would have scored goals but instead we get rid of any possible proven quality with experience and history of goal scoring to fill the team with unknown risks - to have brought a player or two in, kept Fisher and then looked at youth we would have probably spent the same as now but be better off. Said it at the time but we were too keen to cut back rather than a strategic focus on key players out of contract being retained.

In Jan I hope we can offload some deadwood and free up enough to make a loan offer for one off - Fisher, Scott Wright or Murray from Hibs (not the ginger one) - or anyone else proven

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Caman said:

Couple of queries

1. Who should be our first choice strikers? 

2. Who should we get in during January?

 

I think John Robertson will decide on that IF he has any money

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not too concerned by the loss for last year since the club will receive 375 thousand pounds on Thursday from the International football bodiesl 

At least that is the comment, almost word for word,  I came across today in the SPL website .

let's see if it happens exactly that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Scarlet Pimple said:

Not too concerned by the loss for last year since the club will receive 375 thousand pounds on Thursday from the International football bodiesl 

At least that is the comment, almost word for word,  I came across today in the SPL website .

let's see if it happens exactly that way.

very welcome cash but probably accounted for in last years accounts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes. It will alleviate the effects of the massive debt but will have little effect upon the overall negativity of the  financial situation of the club unless there are more fans who feel it worth while to  come to matches.

And unless the club introduces some  kind of lottery type income product to generate steady income. Otherwise, without a massive cash injection by the Board of Directors, or a very  wealthy benefactor,  how can the club survive in even the Championship if past wage outlays  continue as formerly?

I am very interested in hearing views on this vital aspect of club management and survival. Together with suggestions please.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Scarlet Pimple said:

Yes. It will alleviate the effects of the massive debt but will have little effect upon the overall negativity of the  financial situation of the club unless there are more fans who feel it worth while to  come to matches.

And unless the club introduces some  kind of lottery type income product to generate steady income. Otherwise, without a massive cash injection by the Board of Directors, or a very  wealthy benefactor,  how can the club survive in even the Championship if past wage outlays  continue as formerly?

I am very interested in hearing views on this vital aspect of club management and survival. Together with suggestions please.

we already have a lottery, the centenary club.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought George Oakley did well again when he came on. A strong physical performance and took his goal really well.

Deserves to be given his chance with a  decent run of games before being written off as 'not the answer'.

   

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/11/2017 at 8:23 AM, bdu98196 said:

Billy McKay - really?

The key to getting out of this league much as staying in the Premiership is scoring goals and having a striker capable of 15+ per season. Defences can be organised and midfield styles of play adapted but without a guy to bang the gaols in, you're always up against it. While cutting costs was required, we should have fought to keep Fisher - he would have cigared this league. Even a player like Anier would have scored goals but instead we get rid of any possible proven quality with experience and history of goal scoring to fill the team with unknown risks - to have brought a player or two in, kept Fisher and then looked at youth we would have probably spent the same as now but be better off. Said it at the time but we were too keen to cut back rather than a strategic focus on key players out of contract being retained.

In Jan I hope we can offload some deadwood and free up enough to make a loan offer for one off - Fisher, Scott Wright or Murray from Hibs (not the ginger one) - or anyone else proven

 

 

They did try to keep Fisher, but he decided to sign a deal with Motherwell instead & who could blame him?

I too would have loved Fisher to stay...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's good to have a person like Charles  Bannerman on board. Whilst the rest of us dream Charles always manages to bring us back to reality with his clear understanding of the situation. I think I would rather dream. 

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/11/2017 at 10:50 PM, Row S said:

1. Warren, Bell and Doran.

2. Adam Rooney and Billy Mckay - I know we probably couldn't afford them but their current clubs don't seem to see them as first choice any more.

C'mon, we have Susan waiting to come back....!:lol:

Seriously, can see either a loan deal (couldn't see Rooney or McKay doing it though) or, as has been said, an obscure name.

Think it will be the latter, maybe a young, hungry player who hadn't broken into a 1st team squad yet - either on loan or signing (a route that has served ys well before...Wyness springs to mind).

Or, give our youth a chance - sure there's some decent potential there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please no more foreign strikers that only come here as no one else wants them there has to be strikers in Scotland signed to clubs who would welcome the chance of a platform

  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if we are much of a platform at the moment PC we obviously can’t pay big wages and without being in the top flight and being miles from the central belt we are not really an attractive proposition   I don’t imagine hordes of players desperate to join us tbh 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jagster said:

Not sure if we are much of a platform at the moment PC we obviously can’t pay big wages and without being in the top flight and being miles from the central belt we are not really an attractive proposition   I don’t imagine hordes of players desperate to join us tbh 

Bring your boots on Saturday jagster :smile:

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/12/2017 at 10:53 PM, jagster said:

Not sure if we are much of a platform at the moment PC we obviously can’t pay big wages and without being in the top flight and being miles from the central belt we are not really an attractive proposition   I don’t imagine hordes of players desperate to join us tbh 

aah yes what i should of said is there must be players out there who as wee boys dreamed of playing for "big" clubs like Aberdeen so come and play up here and that dreams will come true

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isaac Layne of Brechin might be worth checking out. He's a big burly robust guy who could be useful as a target man.

  • Disagree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, tm4tj said:

Isaac Layne of Brechin might be worth checking out. He's a big burly robust guy who could be useful as a target man.

He's not.  He's garbage.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.