David Raven

cif73

Not a surprise I suppose. Glad that an extension was offered to a cup hero who still does a good job but I completely understand that it needed to be reduced terms. I like the quotes from the club here. David was part of the cup winning team that will forever hold a fondness in ICT hearts but he was also part of the relegation team and shouldn't expect to escape the harsh, punishing financial realities that ensue as a result. Players have to look after their families, this is their job and many are paid handsomely for it ... they create memories but their stay is transient. It is the club and its fans that endure. Thanks for the memories David. We wish you well. 

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/inverness-caledonian-thistle/1368327/caley-thistle-defender-raven-rejects-reduced-contract-extension/

Edited by cif73
Typo
  • Agree 3

Can't help feeling that we are being a bit short sighted in implying that we need to 'free up his wages' to help fund a goal scorer.  As well as scoring goals we also have to protect the goals against column.  I would suggest that Raven's contribution to this over the past few weeks, since he has been played regularly, has been considerable. I would have kept him till the end of the season.  If we want a proven goal scorer who, I suspect wouldn't cost the earth, why not go for Rory McAllister.  He, year on year, tops our ex ICT goal scorers table (30 already in 2017). I know that when he was with us, he got a tough time from certain sections of our support, but, for me, he has proven himself as a goal scorer, and, although reaching the end of his career, could , I feel, still do a job for us in the Championship.

• Agree 5

7 minutes ago, Caley Mad In Berks said:

why not go for Rory McAllister.

I have often thought that but I understand from previous forum discussions that he is happy and settled in Aberdeen area mixing his football with a good steady job. 

• Agree 1

I would like to thank David personally for his commitment and service to the Caley Thistle club over the last few years . I wish him and his family all the very best for his future whatever that may bring.

Cheers David

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

53 minutes ago, Caley Mad In Berks said:

Can't help feeling that we are being a bit short sighted in implying that we need to 'free up his wages' to help fund a goal scorer.  As well as scoring goals we also have to protect the goals against column.  I would suggest that Raven's contribution to this over the past few weeks, since he has been played regularly, has been considerable. I would have kept him till the end of the season.  If we want a proven goal scorer who, I suspect wouldn't cost the earth, why not go for Rory McAllister.  He, year on year, tops our ex ICT goal scorers table (30 already in 2017). I know that when he was with us, he got a tough time from certain sections of our support, but, for me, he has proven himself as a goal scorer, and, although reaching the end of his career, could , I feel, still do a job for us in the Championship.

McAllister has zero interest in going full time. He is quite happy playing part time with Peterhead and doing his plumbing gig.

As for Raven it's a very bad move losing him. I know money is a big issue but part of our good form was down to his return to the side and now we are losing him just as we go on a decent wee run. Getting rid of some of the other dross in the squad to keep Raven would be my preference. Sadly though there was no chance he was going to stay and take something like a 50% salary cut. Rumours are he will be off to Dundee United.

• Agree 3

Sadly inevitable, but let's give him a great send off.

Harshly treated by the club at times, he always gives 100%, and his celebration after the semi final win with the look of sheer pleasure and surprise is one of my all time memories.

Thanks and good luck for the future!

Edited by Robert
  • Agree 4

Really sad to see him go.  Since he came back into the side he has consistently been one of our better performers both defensively and supporting the attack.  Always gives 100% and always one of the first to acknowledge the fans after the game is over.  He'll be a real miss.  Hopefully  he'll not be going to Dundee Utd.  I thought he was headed back Liverpool way.  He could probably do a job for Everton at the moment!

• Agree 1

Lovely guy and great club servant. 

If he can earn more money elsewhere for now good luck and hope he can continue earning for as long as possible.  

I hope when his playing career is over he feels he can return and enjoy the town he has been such a big part of for such an important time.

Good luck and come home whenever you like. 

• Agree 4

So sad to see Raven go, but this was inevitable since the season ticket holders meeting with the chairman and Robbo, when it was announced that he would be moving the high earners on. Raven has been a constantly top performer for the club over the previous season and this one being no different. I hope he gets a good send off and manages to get a good deal somewhere else, as long as it's not with one of our rivals! All the best David and thanks for the memories. 

Edited by Jaggernaut
  • Agree 4

David Raven has been consistent all season and has been playing probably his best football lately since 2014/15. Really sad to see him go. Hope the Livi home game on 2nd January goes ahead so he gets a standing ovation  at home. Always approachable and down to earth when I have spoken to him. He will be missed. Good luck David and all the best to you and your family. 

PS - Please don't go to Dundee United!! 

We need to adopt "Stand By Me" as our anthem at our next three home games to give Dave a great send off knowing we appreciate him and all he has done here since 2012.

I know there have been debates about what constitutes a "club great", but he fits the bill in my eyes.

• Agree 4

1 hour ago, DoofersDad said:

Really sad to see him go.  Since he came back into the side he has consistently been one of our better performers both defensively and supporting the attack.  Always gives 100% and always one of the first to acknowledge the fans after the game is over.  He'll be a real miss.  Hopefully  he'll not be going to Dundee Utd.  I thought he was headed back Liverpool way.  He could probably do a job for Everton at the moment!

Shame on you. He's a Liverpool man. Everton is a swear word. :lol: 

Sad to see you go Dave, although it was probably inevitable would have been great if the club could have dug a bit deeper to let you stay for the full season. Your 100% commitment, personality and experience are still needed.

You can still cheer me up though by joining my other club and head back to Prenton Park - the Rovers need you too! All the very best wherever you go and thank you for the immense contribution you gave to ICT.

• Agree 2

Sad news indeed. He has been treated badly by the club on numerous occasions but still gave 100% on the field. Consistently gets crosses into the box only to be wasted due to the lack of effort of supposed strikers - who will no doubt be kept on. Hope he gets a rousing send off. After all there's only ONE David Raven. Good luck to him and his family in the future. 

• Agree 4

Keep him yes, but at what cost? Double the wages of the rest of the team? A wage that prevents us signing a good striker? He was offered what the club can afford or consider him to be worth at this level, and turned it down. Time to go separate ways, unfortunately.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Yngwie said:

Keep him yes, but at what cost? Double the wages of the rest of the team? A wage that prevents us signing a good striker? He was offered what the club can afford or consider him to be worth at this level, and turned it down. Time to go separate ways, unfortunately.

He has been a great player for us and thanks for that but you are right Yngwie it's time to move on.

17 hours ago, Hearach said:

Sad news indeed. He has been treated badly by the club on numerous occasions but still gave 100% on the field. Consistently gets crosses into the box only to be wasted due to the lack of effort of supposed strikers - who will no doubt be kept on. Hope he gets a rousing send off. After all there's only ONE David Raven. Good luck to him and his family in the future. 

More accurately, he was not treated badly by the club only by one former manager.

A tremendous servant for five years and instrumental in our historic cup winning season.

It's no coincidence that our defence improved immeasurably when he and Tremarco returned to the team.

I would have loved to see him remain for the remainder of this season at least but it seems inevitable that he will be going next month, in which case, he goes with my thanks for the memories and very best wishes for his future and that of his family.

A talented, loyal and committed player and a great guy into the bargain. 

20 hours ago, finmack said:

Very sad to see him go. Unfortunately it is all part of the troubles created by Foran and the board. How on earth we let things go on up until the last day of the season, beats me!

Here here lets just remember the 2 idiots who got us in this mess 

• Agree 1

I'll be sad to see him go along with my 8 year old son but completely understand he has a family and needs stability. He has stayed loyal to the club and continued to show how much a professional he is by giving 100 per cent even when managers have publicly said they want to move him on. 

• Agree 1

And the board have a club to run within their financial means.

Do they really want to move him on, or is it just that they are not willing to be held to ransom by a wages demand that they find excessive given our predicament.

He has been a decent player for Inverness over the years, but he can't expect to get the same wages for performing at a lower level. That's what this is all about really.

• Agree 1